Assumed knowledge in courses (1 Viewer)

B33FS00P

Dwight K. Schrute
HSC
I have noticed that many courses which i have browsed across in mq and unsw require assumed knowledge in Mathematics. So if you had done general maths for example, rather than mathematics, would you be able to cope in the course, or is a bridging course really necessary?

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
If the assumed knowledge is 2U (check with them), then I'd recommend the bridging course. 2U and General are *completely* different.

B33FS00P

Dwight K. Schrute
HSC
Yeah 2U. Ive just started year 12 and im considering dropping to general, mainly because i have zero motivation in 2U however i dont want it to limit me in terms of uni/career opportunities. I dont want to be an engineer or anything (prob something more humanties/arts based).
This probably sounds like a noobish question but how much of what you learn in 2U Maths ties into humanities courses?
Thanks for your input :)

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Depends what area of humanities/arts, some would have pretty much no maths, (maybe most).
I don't think its what you learn in 2U, its just the numerical literacy they are looking for, which might be needed for some courses :S
some might have a stats component if its research based (which will be quite hard for general maths students)
it'd be best to ask the school of what major you want to do. I can't really see many having much maths.

D94

HSC
N/A
I reckon you would be able to cope, but just a bit slower than others who may have also done MX2.

For UNSW, check out this link: http://www.unsw.edu.au/futureStudents/nonAward/sad/bridgeprog.html There are outlines on what is covered, so if you have no idea or haven't completed such topics, then I would recommend a bridging course.

For MQ, there is an outline here: http://www.maths.mq.edu.au/numeracy/mums.html although it's geared towards the Science streams, so I'm not sure what you actually want to do.

B33FS00P

Dwight K. Schrute
HSC
I don't think its what you learn in 2U, its just the numerical literacy they are looking for, which might be needed for some courses
Timothy i would probably tend to agree with you there.
In Maths im constantly thinking 'how is this helpful/necessary for me' etc, and thus unmotivated, especially since i find other subs easier and a bit more interesting. So im reluctantly, leaning towards dropping to general, but just worried about the decision limiting my opportunities. Dont get me wrong though, i have the utmost respect for mathematicians.
Thanks guys, appreciate your help :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)