Assumed notations/abbreviations? (1 Viewer)

Pyrobooby

HSC
I was just wondering if letters like m(for gradient), a,r,d,n(various characters in series and sequences) and T(for term) are assumed.

Do we have to explicitly state "Let T(n+1) be the (n+1)th term in the sequence)..."?

Also, what about some properties such as the perpendicular gradient property? Do we have to explain it in words before we write the equation ("Since the two chords meet at right angles, the product of their gradients must equal -1: ie m1*m2=-1)

What about other abbreviations like eqn, simult, alt. angles(with the angle symbol) and so on so forth?

I apologise if this has been answered before.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
There's no real standard. Just use common sense. Things like m, a are assumed. As is m1*m2.

T I think would be as well.

Shorten as much as possible in geometry. Alt /_ would be fine for alternate angles.

funnytomato

HSC
Yeah, the ones you've mentioned are quite common.

but don't abbreviate too much if you have the time to write the words down, which you often do

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Ideally, you should always define notation on the variables you introduce which have not been mentioned already in the question.

kooliskool

HSC
Just as an advice, check with you teacher, and for hsc, DO NOT abbreviate if you can help it, give them no reasons to take marks off you. That's what I'd say. Although things like the letters u mentioned, they are assumed, so you can use them, check the syllabus as well, the notations they use are what counts, but better off define yours when you have more than those that you need to use.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)