Asylum seeker debacle (1 Viewer)

HSC
Why not. You seem to be equating all Muslims with terrorists which simply isn't true.
Well they are.

I am saying open borders will be the end of our society. We will have a influx of foreigners (arabs, Muslims, terrorists, Indians ) and we wouldn't monitor who comes in?

How would you feel if a bunch of people decided to set sail for Australia dock on Sydney harbour and blow themselves up?

Dirty countries need to be processed heavily to ensure no terrorists enter

sabz1996

HSC
LOL... i don't think you should be using the word 'muslims'. If you're going to talk about terrorists, they come from every country, religion, etc. not just muslims or whatever. SERIOUSLY !

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
LOL... i don't think you should be using the word 'muslims'. If you're going to talk about terrorists, they come from every country, religion, etc. not just muslims or whatever. SERIOUSLY !
He shouldn't have said 'muslims', he should have said 'Islamic terrorists' (of which only an incredibly small amount would be anyway).

na110793

HSC
Asylum seekers should be sent back. It has nothing to do with overcrowding or overpopulation. Tax dollars cannot be spent on detention centres for these people. I don't care if you tell me that they risk life and limb to get here. They shouldn't. I'm sick of seeing entire suburbs being overrun by immigrants who don't know the language, don't assimilate into society, don't care for this country and expect money from the government. If they want to come to this country, they should be placed in barracks in remote sections of the country, and placed on infrastructural projects such as roads, towns, mining, logging etc, all jobs where there is a shortage in workers.

In the 50s, 60s and 70s, when European immigration was peaking, yes they didn't speak the language, yes they didn't assimilate but they tried and they succeeded. They worked hard, paid taxes, bought houses/businesses etc. Today, you cannot tell the difference between an Australian person or a person of Eastern European heritage.

In saying this, European immigration was the backbone of this nation. So much was completed with their assistance. And today, there are many Europeans who hold powerful positions in society.

And no, before you ask, I am not the Antichrist.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Asylum seekers should be sent back. It has nothing to do with overcrowding or overpopulation. Tax dollars cannot be spent on detention centres for these people. I don't care if you tell me that they risk life and limb to get here. They shouldn't.
I concur. I have no problem with the genuine refugees and Australia meeting its commitments under the Refugee Convention. However these 'boat people' as they are commonly referred too are not genuine refugees, they are economic refugees who simply want to skip the (legal) immigration ques and come by boat to Australia. most of these boat people are coming from Sri Lanka, Iran & Afghanistan. they are getting on aeroplanes and flying to Indonesia. If they were true asylum seekers then they would seek asylum in the first safe country they pass through (i.e. Indonesia), not pick and choose by getting on a boat and coming to Australia.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
I'm sick of seeing entire suburbs being overrun by immigrants who don't know the language, don't assimilate into society, don't care for this country and expect money from the government.
Here here. A lot of Australians hold simialr values although it is not exactly politically correct to express them (although it is something that as a nation we need to address). It is nothing about skin colour, it is all about culture.

In the 50s, 60s and 70s, when European immigration was peaking, yes they didn't speak the language, yes they didn't assimilate but they tried and they succeeded. They worked hard, paid taxes, bought houses/businesses etc. Today, you cannot tell the difference between an Australian person or a person of Eastern European heritage.
This was good immigration. The Greeks (for example) assimilated in well and are a good example of what immigration in Australia should be like. Do I think we will be saying the same about X nationality (in particular many of the Asian countries) 50 years from now? Somehow I doubt it.

Lentern

HSC
LOOOOLLLL @ this thread and the amount of racism, bigotry and ignorance.

My dad immigrated here from a poor Asian country and is now a doctor. It's funny when people look at him and assume he can't speak English, or just because he wears cultural clothes, that he doesn't try to assimilate.

He wants to PRESERVE his culture. There is a fucking difference between not trying to assimilate and wanting to preserve his culture.

When he came here he spoke his first language... because... HE COULDN'T TALK ENGLISH. Oh why the fuck is that so hard to understand for some people. PEOPLE WHO MIGRATE HERE TALK THEIR OWN LANGUAGE CAUSE THEY'RE STILL LEARNING ENGLISH. They aren't fluent in English and when trying to talk to family members publicly, they're obviously going to talk their own language. People hear them talking and immediately assume they aren't assimilating.
If you had to move to France right now, you wouldn't go there and be able to talk French would you? And even if you did talk French, you would have a Western accent. Then of course, the French would mock you for not 'assimilating', wouldn't they? Exactly how migrants feel.

Oh and to the person who said 'Australians have culture'... please, enlighten me on what the Australian culture is. I was born here, have lived in a predominately White area- Mosman- for 17 years and still don't know what the 'culture' is. Football and meat pies? Do you expect every migrant you comes here to attend every Football match? And then when they don't, you complain about them not 'assimilating'... not wanting to fit in with society. Well I hate to break it to all the Christian, white Australians out there but theres no culture here.

And this rant is coming from someone who is half Australian.

I think you'll find ours is the oldest continuing culture on earth, some forty thousand years old at least.

honeycomb

HSC
Here here. A lot of Australians hold simialr values although it is not exactly politically correct to express them (although it is something that as a nation we need to address). It is nothing about skin colour, it is all about culture.

What culture exactly?

This was good immigration. The Greeks (for example) assimilated in well and are a good example of what immigration in Australia should be like. Do I think we will be saying the same about X nationality (in particular many of the Asian countries) 50 years from now? Somehow I doubt it.
Please name the particular Asian countries you are talking about ? Because a lot of Asian families I know have assimilated extremely well. Work hard, contribute to society, pay taxes. Exactly the amount Australians do and more in some cases.
And why do you think Greeks have assimilated better than Asians? Where you alive 50 years ago when the Greeks came here? They were probably ridiculed and mocked as well... the only reason that Greeks are more accepted into Australian society is because they have been here longer. Asians were restricted by the White Australia policy till 1973- only about 39 years ago.

Lentern

HSC
Aboriginal culture? Their culture hasn't been treated well, has it though? Europeans (which are now Australians) came and committed genocide here. Let's face it, any culture Australian people don't know (aren't tolerant of), is shunned by society. Including Aboriginal culture.
Are you saying aborigines are not Australians?

Lentern

HSC
No, I'm saying Europeans came and killed a lot of them- which goes to show what kind the White Europeans were. And what the White Europeans did to Aboriginals is what Australians now are doing to all other cultures. Being intolerant/ ignorance/ hateful.

http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/800/51...ke-immigration-when-you-leavin-bro-c6824a.jpg
^ lol this photo remind me of the whole immigration debate
You said that there is no such thing as Australian culture, so are you asserting that Aborigines do not have a culture?

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Asylum seekers should be sent back. It has nothing to do with overcrowding or overpopulation. Tax dollars cannot be spent on detention centres for these people. I don't care if you tell me that they risk life and limb to get here. They shouldn't. I'm sick of seeing entire suburbs being overrun by immigrants who don't know the language, don't assimilate into society, don't care for this country and expect money from the government. If they want to come to this country, they should be placed in barracks in remote sections of the country, and placed on infrastructural projects such as roads, towns, mining, logging etc, all jobs where there is a shortage in workers.

In saying this, European immigration was the backbone of this nation. So much was completed with their assistance. And today, there are many Europeans who hold powerful positions in society.

And no, before you ask, I am not the Antichrist.
So why don't you afford the same opportunity to other immgrants if you concede that they have been fundamental to the construction and continuation of an economy and society?

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
He wants to PRESERVE his culture. There is a fucking difference between not trying to assimilate and wanting to preserve his culture.
There is. Although I would question why you feel he has a need to "preserve his culture" - why has he not became part of Australian culture (while still retaining some of his own)?

When he came here he spoke his first language... because... HE COULDN'T TALK ENGLISH.
This is what I have a problem with. If you can't speak English, don't move to Australia. I can't speak Mandarin or Cantonese so I am not going to move to China. Logic is a simple concept although is seemingly hard for many people to grasp.

If you had to move to France right now, you wouldn't go there and be able to talk French would you? And even if you did talk French, you would have a Western accent. Then of course, the French would mock you for not 'assimilating', wouldn't they? Exactly how migrants feel.
I wouldn't be stupid enough to move to France knowing that I can't speak French. Theoretically though, if I had to move there for some reason without knowing French, then I would immense myself in the French culture. I know English - there is no point me moving half way around the world to speak English in a foreign country. if I have to go to France then I am sure goign to learn French by speaking only french there.

Perhaps you do not keep up with major news events in French media although it was recently widely reported that multiculturalism has failed in France also.

Sarkozy said:
French President Nicolas Sarkozy declared Thursday in a nationally televised debate that multiculturalism was a "failure," warning that such a concept fostered extremism.

"We have been too concerned about the identity of the person who was arriving and not enough about the identity of the country that was receiving him," Sarkozy said.

The French leader said that while it's important to respect cultural differences, France should be a place with a national community - not a place where different cultural communities just coexist.

"'If you come to France, you accept to melt into a single community, which is the national community," he continued. "And if you do not want to accept that, you cannot be welcome in France".

Sarkozy's comments echo those of other European leaders, including German Chancellor Angela Merkel and British Prime Minister David Cameron.
http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/world/2011/February/Frances-Sarkozy-Multiculturalism-Has-Failed/

Lentern

HSC
There is. Although I would question why you feel he has a need to "preserve his culture" - why has he not became part of Australian culture (while still retaining some of his own)?

This is what I have a problem with. If you can't speak English, don't move to Australia. I can't speak Mandarin or Cantonese so I am not going to move to China. Logic is a simple concept although is seemingly hard for many people to grasp.

I wouldn't be stupid enough to move to France knowing that I can't speak French. Theoretically though, if I had to move there for some reason without knowing French, then I would immense myself in the French culture. I know English - there is no point me moving half way around the world to speak English in a foreign country. if I have to go to France then I am sure goign to learn French by speaking only french there.

Perhaps you do not keep up with major news events in French media although it was recently widely reported that multiculturalism has failed in France also.

http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/world/2011/February/Frances-Sarkozy-Multiculturalism-Has-Failed/
How is Sarkozy doing these days? First one term President in 50 years was it?

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-08-01/australian-forces-to-be-allowed-into-indonesian-waters/4168124

Indonesia is poised to allow Australian authorities free rein to rescue asylum seekers in Indonesian waters.

Indonesia’s defence minister Purnomo Yusgiantoro says he expects a deal to be signed as early as next month which means Australian authorities no longer need permission to enter Indonesia’s Search and Rescue Zone.

Indonesia says it expects Defence Minister Stephen Smith and Immigration Minister Chris Bowen to visit the country this month, with a possible deal to be signed in September.
This sounds dumb enough for Gillard to have personally thought of it.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
266 people on 3 boats were intercepted yesterday, including one boat that had a staggering 211 people on it!

What a disgrace.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
266 people on 3 boats were intercepted yesterday, including one boat that had a staggering 211 people on it!

What a disgrace.
Oh no, it will increase Australia's population by 0.00092965%

Disgraceful!

Gary_Oak

Taking a Piss
HSC
Okay, maybe if they find a use for them (eg work) well we let them in......... but if they just going to nip off the government, they can fuck off...... I think Australia should gives ref a 2 week grace period to find a job, and if they dont find anything, they should just fuck off

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Oh no, it will increase Australia's population by 0.00092965%
If this continues on for another year approximately (until Labor loses the election) then that is a lot of people. These asylum seekers have large families and tend to have multiple children. Compound this over a 100 years and with their large birthing culture and it starts to become a significant number.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)