ATAR driving future career prospects, instead of the other way around? (1 Viewer)

emilios

HSC
Hi guys, I'm not sure if I'm posting this is the right place but oh well.

To cut to the chase, I'm gunning for medicine. I'm intending on applying to just about every university (even interstate), and being a GWS resident I'm placing a lot of hope in UWS. However, the UMAT is the bane of my existence, and despite having practiced for about 3 months, my results in papers aren't improving (raw mark average around 85/134 on medentry). What that means is that I need a very solid back up plan... which is something I don't have.

Flipping through the latest UAC book, I'm not feeling drawn to any of the degrees. I'm aiming for a high ATAR, preferably ~99. I feel like it is very possible for me to achieve at least 97, based on my current rankings, marks and even my prelim results (all rounders). With respect to that, I want to feel like my hard work is justified (and I am investing a lot of time into the HSC) - i.e. I don't want to get into a course with an 88 ATAR cut off and ask myself "What was the point of all that?" (every other weekend spent labouring over my study desk).

I have a strong interest in mathematics and science, which would naturally draw me to engineering, however due to the aforementioned reason (low cutoffs), I just don't have the keenness. I don't want to go into any humanities, such as Law.

So what should I do? Suck it up and get over this childish idea of prestige (getting me into courses with cutoffs ~90), or simply just relax and put less time into the HSC?

enoilgam

HSC
I had this mentality in Year 12 as well, but it's more of a waste if you avoid doing something you like because of the low cut-off. A lot of people would disagree, but the skills you gain from the HSC do help you in uni and the workplace, so it isnt always a waste.

emilios

HSC
You're definitely right, but it still is disheartening when teachers and parents have drilled this 'High ATAR' mentality into you and you suddenly realise you could've got to the same place studying 1-2 hrs a night instead of 4-5 hrs...

enoilgam

HSC
You're definitely right, but it still is disheartening when teachers and parents have drilled this 'High ATAR' mentality into you and you suddenly realise you could've got to the same place studying 1-2 hrs a night instead of 4-5 hrs...
You're going for Medicine so you have to aim high. If you werent, then you could aim lower.

madharris

HSC
N/A
There was this girl in smh a month or so ago who got 99.90 or something and chose to do pure arts.
Do what you want to do.

emilios

HSC
That's what I mean. I've already mentioned my UMAT is crap, so it seems like its putting this 'all or nothing' aura around medicine. Anyway I'm starting to feel a lot of negative energy coming from me now so I'll stop.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
If you get it, great. If not, there's always other options, both in similar fields and in methods of getting into medicine.

bangladesh

HSC
If you did your med research properly, you'd notice that your atar matters for some unis such as UNSW/UWS even if you apply as a non-standard. I personally 'wasted' (according to you) and studied to get a 98 when the cutoff for my course is 92.5. However, all the stuff i studied for in highschool have helped me do advanced units in uni which is just to my advantage.

If i can tell you ONE thing, That is that your efforts will NEVER go to waste.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
wtf is GWS

And

I have a strong interest in mathematics and science, which would naturally draw me to engineering, however due to the aforementioned reason (low cutoffs), I just don't have the keenness.
Is a terrible attitude. "Ohh this course only has x ATAR cut-off, and because x is less than some arbitrary y that I plucked out of thin air, ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww not doing that".

So get over this obsession with ATAR. It's a tool to get you into uni, yes it's nice to have a good one - but you should be gunning for that anyway.

emilios

HSC
wtf is GWS

And

Is a terrible attitude. "Ohh this course only has x ATAR cut-off, and because x is less than some arbitrary y that I plucked out of thin air, ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww not doing that".

So get over this obsession with ATAR. It's a tool to get you into uni, yes it's nice to have a good one - but you should be gunning for that anyway.
Greater Western Sydney resident, their UMAT cutoffs are slightly lower if you live in a crappy area.

When you say "it's nice to have a good one - but you should have that anyway". Why? Why do I have to have a good ATAR if it means nothing and is, like you said, an arbitrary number. If this sounds pointless and pedantic, well, that's exactly what the HSC seems like to me. Everyone's overhyping this number and I'm channeling so much energy into it. So how do you think I'd feel when I get back some awesome number, the fruit of all my labour, and then it's basically "Oh hey, you could've got into this course with half the effort level. Everyone who told you you should study hard was lying".

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Greater Western Sydney resident, their UMAT cutoffs are slightly lower if you live in a crappy area.

When you say "it's nice to have a good one - but you should have that anyway". Why? Why do I have to have a good ATAR if it means nothing and is, like you said, an arbitrary number. If this sounds pointless and pedantic, well, that's exactly what the HSC seems like to me. Everyone's overhyping this number and I'm channeling so much energy into it. So how do you think I'd feel when I get back some awesome number, the fruit of all my labour, and then it's basically "Oh hey, you could've got into this course with half the effort level. Everyone who told you you should study hard was lying".
People actually use 'GWS' outside of AFL? wat

You should gun for as high an ATAR a possible to open up more opportunities for you. You don't want to be like "I just want 80 for x course" and then come December it's like "ohh I really want to do y course but the ATAR is like 92, should've tried harder".

And who cares if you could've gotten into a course with half the effort level? Doesn't matter, because you tried hard, and you got just rewards, and that'll put you in good stead for uni and independent study requirements - instead of being someone who's trying to get the easy way out.

emilios

HSC
Very good point, I guess its more about challenging myself for my own betterment in the end. Nothing that bad can come out of trying hard, except maybe looking like a try hard :p

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
To OP, you need to remember that the ATAR cut offs are related to supply and demand rather than just prestige, some types of engineering has extremely high ATAR cut offs, such as aerospace engineering at USYD-where you are looking at an ATAR of 99+as minimum to get into the course. Although it is good you are considering alternate options and putting in a lot of effort, you need to remember that you have just been practising for 3 months, you need to practice for a lot longer to expect dramatic improvements. HSC is a marathon, and so is the pursuance of your dream of becoming a doctor-even if in the worst case scenario you don't get straight in, you can always seek for a transfer from medical science. Just try your best and that's all you can do:)

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Relax you can always do UMAT again and apply for non-standard. And hey, if you're not in a rush then you got GAMSAT.

Xt

HSC
N/A
1. If you don't go hard during HSC and don't get into Medicine, you'll never know whether or not you were ever capable of it.

2. If you don't get into Medicine, and you don't want to waste your ATAR - then do Law, end up hating it, and transfer to science or engineering. The wasted year will teach you a lot about ATAR cut-offs and prestige.

3. Do BMedSc at UNSW or BMedSc adv/BSci Adv at UWS and gun for their lateral entry programs. Also if you've maximised your ATAR, you can always reapply during first year Uni, UNSW takes atar/gpa 50:50.

MarkHerry

HSC
A lot of individuals would don't agree, but the abilities you obtain from the HSC do help you in uni and the office, so it is not always a spend.

antik denim | joie

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi guys, I'm not sure if I'm posting this is the right place but oh well.

To cut to the chase, I'm gunning for medicine. I'm intending on applying to just about every university (even interstate), and being a GWS resident I'm placing a lot of hope in UWS. However, the UMAT is the bane of my existence, and despite having practiced for about 3 months, my results in papers aren't improving (raw mark average around 85/134 on medentry). What that means is that I need a very solid back up plan... which is something I don't have.

Flipping through the latest UAC book, I'm not feeling drawn to any of the degrees. I'm aiming for a high ATAR, preferably ~99. I feel like it is very possible for me to achieve at least 97, based on my current rankings, marks and even my prelim results (all rounders). With respect to that, I want to feel like my hard work is justified (and I am investing a lot of time into the HSC) - i.e. I don't want to get into a course with an 88 ATAR cut off and ask myself "What was the point of all that?" (every other weekend spent labouring over my study desk).

I have a strong interest in mathematics and science, which would naturally draw me to engineering, however due to the aforementioned reason (low cutoffs), I just don't have the keenness. I don't want to go into any humanities, such as Law.

So what should I do? Suck it up and get over this childish idea of prestige (getting me into courses with cutoffs ~90), or simply just relax and put less time into the HSC?
What does an atar cut off have to do with interest/keen ness?

An certain interest comes from the heart not a number. That sort of mentality is bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)