ATAR Estimate please? :) - don't know if I should drop to 10 units? (1 Viewer)

swifty13

HSC
School rank is about 40

Advanced English - 10/87
Extension English - 12/30
Biology - 5/42
Studies of Religion 1 - 4/36
Economics - 3/16
Business Studies - 4/34
Mathematics - not entirely sure of rank - around 30/45.

I am thinking of dropping maths but I'm not sure if dropping to 10 units is the best idea considering I am not doing great for Extension English. In saying that, we've already done 45% of the internal assessments for maths and only 15% of the assessments for English. If anyone could help that'd be great :)

:)

EDIT - I think the main problem is I want to do Commerce at uni that would require maths but considering I am doing so poorly I should just do a bridging course once school finishes..

Last edited:

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm thinking some where around 95.5-96.5.

theycallmebob

HSC
if your struggling with the workload you should drop maths before it gets too stressful

such_such

HSC
It says you SHOULD do the required subjects, not that you MUST do them. I think you'll learn all the basics again anyway. So yeah, drop maths before it's too late if you want your desired ATAR.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Can you further elaborate on why your performance in Maths isn't up to par when comparing it to your other subjects?

swifty13

HSC
Can you further elaborate on why your performance in Maths isn't up to par when comparing it to your other subjects?
I guess it just eats up a lot of my time - I will sit there and study for an hour and maybe do like five questions, where as when I study an hour for other subjects I get a lot more done. I'm just not good at it and I know that if I invested a lot of time in it that perhaps I could improve, but I don't really feel like I have enough time to improve. I didn't have a tutor for year 11 and I didn't do that well for maths in year 11 (around 70% in most of my marks, ranking was basically average) so I decided to get a tutor for year 12 but I think it was kind of too late. I don't want to drop to 10 units because it is so risky but at the same time I feel like I might have to...

scarvesss

howdy doo
HSC
im on 10 units and tbh it is way less stressful then when i had 12. dont be scared, you get way more time to focus on everything else and its just way better

swifty13

HSC
Thanks for all your help guys. I am most likely to drop maths but I am scared that one day for Extension English they might throw a curve ball at me and I'll have no idea how to answer the question...

Lolly_Polly

HSC
I'm doing 10 units, I find it's so much better considering the number of free periods and more time to study at home! I recommend you to drop Maths :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Thanks for all your help guys. I am most likely to drop maths but I am scared that one day for Extension English they might throw a curve ball at me and I'll have no idea how to answer the question...
How so? Extension 1 English is very set in it's format. One essay, one creative.

Curve balls you'd expect more in Advanced.

swifty13

HSC
How so? Extension 1 English is very set in it's format. One essay, one creative.

Curve balls you'd expect more in Advanced.
I saw a question in the 2009 paper I think, which asked you to change the setting of your story and that completely freaked me out. Are you meaning a curve ball in advance mainly because they could ask us to write like an article/speech etc? I guess that would be a concern which is why I thought I could keep maths just to feel more secure with 12 units but considering I am doing so poorly the maths probably wouldn't be able to save me if I burnt out in one of my other units anyway

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I saw a question in the 2009 paper I think, which asked you to change the setting of your story and that completely freaked me out. Are you meaning a curve ball in advance mainly because they could ask us to write like an article/speech etc? I guess that would be a concern which is why I thought I could keep maths just to feel more secure with 12 units but considering I am doing so poorly the maths probably wouldn't be able to save me if I burnt out in one of my other units anyway
Yes - I think you should be more worried about them specifying a weird text type in Advanced, than in Extension.

swifty13

HSC
shadow dude I just realised ur doing a B Commerce which I might be interested in doing, obviously your doing advanced mathematics in ur B science course but I was wondering is there a lot of intense maths in B commerce?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)