• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

atar estimation please (1 Viewer)

slowcheetah

HSC
well to be honest i'm a sceptic of all the theories of how they work out the ATAR etc, and think the system is flawed, but i would appreciate any info on what you guys think i would get ATARwise.

ranks were

standard english 8/70ish
general maths 8/60ish
PDHPE 14/27
Biology 13/26
studies of religion 1 unit 18/60ish
ancient history 5/16

my marks were pretty average, something like mid 70's for maths, 60's for english and 50's for biology, religion was high 70's and so was ancient history. my school rank is not in the top 200.

i would appreciate anyones guess to what my atar may be.
thanks

K

khorne

What is your exact school rank? Currently, anything from an ATAR of 60-low 80's would go.

slowcheetah

HSC
530 something cant remember exact number.. yeh that bad...
and did u say it could span from 60-80 ATAR? thats a tad broad dont u think?

Last edited:
K

khorne

well, with 530, I think you'd get...idk high 60's to low 70's

slowcheetah

HSC
im confused as to why another years rank should affect an individuals atar

K

khorne

It doesn't, but it gives an idication of your school as a whole.

K

khorne

which system? our predictions? meh...it's the best you have...

slowcheetah

HSC
noo not ur predictions. the fact that they tamper with marks jut because ur skool ranks lower. unfair in my opinion.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I'm getting 76.60.

Although if you posted your average assessment mark for the year, that'd get more accurate for you.

K

khorne

noo not ur predictions. the fact that they tamper with marks jut because ur skool ranks lower. unfair in my opinion.
But they don't...We just use it for the predictions, because it gives us an idea of how good the school is

PenguinOfDeath

HSC
i think it's ridiculous that other students can affact your mark... i think its unfair on kids who've worked hard to have their marks dragged down by people who don't car about the subject, and that other kids get their marks pulled up because there's a few smart people in your class... its such a stupid system, i hate scaling.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
i think it's ridiculous that other students can affact your mark... i think its unfair on kids who've worked hard to have their marks dragged down by people who don't car about the subject, and that other kids get their marks pulled up because there's a few smart people in your class... its such a stupid system, i hate scaling.
Such is life. And coming first in your school, and doing well in the HSC is just as well as coming first in a Top 10 school, and doing equally well in HSC (assuming relative marks between you and person coming 2nd etc are taken into account)

q3thefish

HSC
Lol it doesn't really matter if your school is like 700th. If you topped every subject that you do and do exceptionally well during the externals, then nothing is stopping you from getting a 99.95 ATAR.

edit: if you think it's stupid, then design a better one.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)