atar or wam/gpa? (1 Viewer)

twenty12

HSC
Starting my first year at uni if I disliked the degree but completed 1st semester and deferred 2nd semester to the following year, would my atar or 1st semester marks be taken into account when I apply thru uac for another degree (which i will start in 2013)

Dylanamali

HSC
because you haven't completed a full year of tertiary studies I'd assume that it would be only your ATAR and not your GPA.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
That's what I did- studied for one semester and then took the second semester off so I could take some time to decide what I wanted to do. Most universities will take your ATAR over your WAM/GPA if you've studied less than 1 full year, but NOT ALL, so be careful. :)

Ie, I didn't get into a course at UTS (that had an ATAR cut-off of 93), yet I had an ATAR of 99+. Because I'd studied one semester at uni I was no longer a recent school leaver, so they assessed me based on different criteria (portfolio/interview/GPA etc). Anyway, that is irrelevant, but yeah, it's not universal- all universities will have different criteria for entry so just check before you take the semester off.

twenty12

HSC
ahh really, would being a non recent school leaver affect my chances of getting into a course even if i make the cut off? I'm mainly considering usyd, unsw and possibly uts. Would they assess me on different criteria as well then? ahh that sucks. How many degrees require an extra portfolio/interview etc... cause all i would have is an atar and first semester results. Thanks for the heads up btw

Last edited:

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Isn't it still before census date? Can't you just drop out and take a gap year?

twenty12

HSC
wouldn't i still be a non recent school leaver (nrsl) tho? i dno about the gap year because these holidays have already been long enough and I'd like to get into the uni environment, plus if i do absolutely no work this year it could affect me negatively in terms of writing skills etc. Just wanted to know if deferring the 2nd semester would work in my favour cuz i have some courses in mind that my atar can get me through too

Also i've stumbled upon this for non recent school leavers; http://www.uac.edu.au/undergraduate/institutions/forms.shtml
Do you think most degrees (mainly unsw/usyd) besides these for nrsl applicants are safe in terms of only considering atar rather than 1st sem gpa/portfolios/interviews, provided I'm above the cut off?

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
I know that USyd takes ATAR over GPA if you've studied for less than a year. I'd say that UNSW would be the same.

The course I applied for at UTS has always been extremely popular for NRSL (Design/Visual Communication) so I guess that's why they have more qualifications for admission. Plus it just depends on the philosophy of the faculty/university and at what point they will deem your most recent study as overriding the study you did in high school. Anyway, obviously I can't answer with 100% certainty, but I'd say that USyd and UNSW would be fine. Just have a look at the university website for the degrees that you're potentially considering transferring into. They will specify on the page whether they'll look at ATAR/GPA, and if they don't, just give the uni a call.

I wouldn't suggest a full gap year, I think it's actually a perfect solution to study for a semester and then take half a semester off. It's 8 months off too, which is pretty substantial. That way you get a taste of university life and see what sort of things you enjoy and don't enjoy. Maybe even consider sitting in on some lectures this semester of the degrees you're considering transferring into, if you don't have too many contact hours at uni.

Anyhow, good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)