ATAR ranking effected by difficulty on non-counting units? (1 Viewer)

occer

HSC
N/A
Hey guys, I currently do Extension 1 Maths, Modern History, History Extension, English Advanced, Chemistry and Economics. My school's usually top 10 and my ranks in each subject I think will generally fall in the median of the grade, except for chemistry while I'm terrible at and will probably rank 50ish/60 and Economics which I'll be around top 10 out of 90 for.

I'm thinking of attempting to drop Chemistry, to 10 units because I assume it won't ever count for me. My friend told me today that I'm better off finishing the course and doing the Chem HSC because the ATAR still takes into account the difficulty of Chemistry even if it doesn't count in my 10 units.

Is he right? Should I stick with Chem no matter how large the extra workload is?

Dylanamali

HSC
IMO drop it.. if its your worst. No point in having it if it doesn't count.
I've never heard what your friend said, and tbh it doesn't really make sense.. I don't think its true.
Dropping it will also allow you to allocate more time to other subjects.

occer

HSC
N/A
Why? I got like 63/100 for the Trial and the average was 77. I've screwed almost every assessment and I won't be surprised if I come in the bottom 5 for Chem. It's just so so much work, if I only do 10 units then wouldn't I be able to study where it counts for modern/ext/maths?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Hey guys, I currently do Extension 1 Maths, Modern History, History Extension, English Advanced, Chemistry and Economics. My school's usually top 10 and my ranks in each subject I think will generally fall in the median of the grade, except for chemistry while I'm terrible at and will probably rank 50ish/60 and Economics which I'll be around top 10 out of 90 for.

I'm thinking of attempting to drop Chemistry, to 10 units because I assume it won't ever count for me. My friend told me today that I'm better off finishing the course and doing the Chem HSC because the ATAR still takes into account the difficulty of Chemistry even if it doesn't count in my 10 units.

Is he right? Should I stick with Chem no matter how large the extra workload is?
Your friend is wrong. How can the ATAR take into account Chemistry if it's not going to count?

Drop Chemistry because it appears you're not good at it and you could probably use the extra time to kip up your other subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)