• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

ATAR + Scaling + Subjects = Confusion! (1 Viewer)

Domox

HSC
I am a year 10 student going onto year 11. I am very confused, so in this thread there will be alot of questions. The subjects I want to do are listed below:

Adv English
Studies Of Religion
Mathematics
Hospitality
Information Technology
Legal
(Maybe Environmental Science or Chemistry)

Will these subjects ensure a UAI of 70+?
What is scaling?
Do my subjects scale well?
Any suggestions to improve subjects? Like if you think Environmental Science is rubbish then let me know and help me please.

Also I was thinking about doing TVET courses. Is that where they come to your school or you just go to the TAFE?

Will this count towards UAI, and do these results get scaled?

If you could help it'd be much appreciated.

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
I am a year 10 student going onto year 11. I am very confused, so in this thread there will be alot of questions. The subjects I want to do are listed below:

Adv English
Studies Of Religion
Mathematics
Hospitality
Information Technology
Legal
(Maybe Environmental Science or Chemistry)

Will these subjects ensure a UAI of 70+?
What is scaling?
Do my subjects scale well?
Any suggestions to improve subjects? Like if you think Environmental Science is rubbish then let me know and help me please.

Also I was thinking about doing TVET courses. Is that where they come to your school or you just go to the TAFE?

Will this count towards UAI, and do these results get scaled?

If you could help it'd be much appreciated.
You dont get a UAI, you get a ATAR which is exactly the same thing except the name (basically).

Scaling is where your raw mark in the HSC exam is moved up or down depending on the difficulty of the course. The more difficult the course, the better the subject "scales", but the courses that scale well are difficult and so its not like picking Maths extension 2 will be any better than say Hospitality because you could go really really bad in MX2 if your not good at maths and so it really doesnt make a difference.

FORGET ABOUT SCALING! These subjects will get you 70+ ATAR! If you pick something you are good at and like then you will naturally do better in it, so it is basically the same as picking high scaling subjects and only getting average.

So just pick what you love. ANY combination of HSC subject can get you a ATAR of 99.95 (the highest possible).

Im pretty sure most TVET courses are not UAI approved, but i might be wrong. But i know you have to do it through TAFE.

If you enjoy those subjects, then they are good.

TearsOfFire

HSC
N/A
You dont get a UAI, you get a ATAR which is exactly the same thing except the name (basically).

Scaling is where your raw mark in the HSC exam is moved up or down depending on the difficulty of the course. The more difficult the course, the better the subject "scales", but the courses that scale well are difficult and so its not like picking Maths extension 2 will be any better than say Hospitality because you could go really really bad in MX2 if your not good at maths and so it really doesnt make a difference.

FORGET ABOUT SCALING! These subjects will get you 70+ ATAR! If you pick something you are good at and like then you will naturally do better in it, so it is basically the same as picking high scaling subjects and only getting average.

So just pick what you love. ANY combination of HSC subject can get you a ATAR of 99.95 (the highest possible).

Im pretty sure most TVET courses are not UAI approved, but i might be wrong. But i know you have to do it through TAFE.

Are you sure about this? I think some subjects will still have caps on them.

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC

i m pretty sure hospitality is category B. like alot of Tvet courses

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
Are you sure about this? I think some subjects will still have caps on them.
By getting Top of the State for all low scaling subjects will still get you a ATAR of 99.95.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Not every combination could... I don't think so. Some subjects are capped quite low... even down to 96.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Every combination could. The maximum mark of each year is dependant on the cohort (ie. you)
That said, if scaling is exactly the same this year as it was last year, then there are some subject combinations that won't let you get 99.95 ATAR (since it required a 475~ and above scaled aggregate). All of your subjects have a high maximum scaled mark (according to table A3) so you could get 99.95 in those by getting first in the state for everything.

technicolour

HSC
Nothing will ensure you a 70+ ATAR. Hard work's the only thing that will do that. You'll be fine with those subjects if they're something you enjoy and you're good at. Don't worry about scaling.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
not always, i was talking to someone today who got a uai of 98 and they did gen math. albeit she did extension 2 english and got 49/50. but still
Not always, but most of the time it is true... unless you get a state ranking in it.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Nothing will ensure you a 70+ ATAR. Hard work's the only thing that will do that. You'll be fine with those subjects if they're something you enjoy and you're good at. Don't worry about scaling.
If you do all awesome scaling subjects and then bomb out and get very average marks it basically will! By average I'm speaking about 65-78

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)