• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Atheism - Discussion thread (1 Viewer)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
What do people think about things like Secular Humanism, or Unitarian Universalism?
From my research, it seems that most of my principles/beliefs closely align with Secular Humanism, so i'd say Secular Humanists are awesome XD

I don't know what Unitarian Universalism is but i'll google it later when i'm in the mood :)

Name_Taken

HSC
Atheists hardly live for nothing.
Well, what is it that you (think you) live for?

[And I did edit my post from what you replied to but I don't think it matters, oh well].

Last edited:

Name_Taken

HSC
Living? Making the most of this life rather than living for the next? Family, friends, career, love and the pursuit of happiness?
But oh whats the point?

Out of a void of no truth emerges no purpose.

Athiests can't appreciate love lol... You can hardly say that you exist in this life for your friends (whom its only by chance that you met or that they even exist themselves) or your career (which is an artifical human construct). Would this mean friendless people with no careers have no reason to live?

What would be the point of making the most of this life anyway, unless there was a purpose?

These are weak justifications for what is really a meaninless existence. Alas but without Him there is nothing.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Atheism = Disbelief in or denial of the existence of God or gods.

I'm actually an agnostic, but I label myself as an Atheist because many people are not familiar with the term.

Agnosticism = The belief that there can be no proof either that God exists or that God does not exist.

you're an idiot

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
But oh whats the point?

Athiests can't appreciate love lol... You can hardly say that you exist in this life for your friends (whom its only by chance that you met or that they even exist themselves) or your career (which is an artifical human construct). Would this mean friendless people with no careers have no reason to live?

What would be the point of making the most of this life anyway, unless there was a purpose?

These are weak justifications for what is really a meaninless existence. Alas but without Him there is nothing.
So you're saying that you don't care about your family, that you are only living to reach "God" which may or may not exist LOL.

I'm quite sure your reasoning of living life for an entitiy that you can not see and prove exists is a much weaker justification.

Live life to the fullest, enoy it and help others enjoy it. That is my philosophy ^_^

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
But the people who believe in nothing subsequently live for nothing = the smartest people around right?
Why do you people always say this? I have nothing against religious folk, but this annoys me.

We're living for ourselves etc. I know you've heard this before. Accept it like we accept you! Please!

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
But oh whats the point?

That's assuming life has to have a purpose, though. It doesn't but what you make of it.

Athiests can't appreciate love lol...
...did you really just say that?

You can hardly say that you exist in this life for your friends (whom its only by chance that you met) or your career (which is an artifical human construct ). Would this mean friendless people with no careers have no reason to live?
No. They're part of what makes up life, and what makes life worth living.

Isn't your god and religion just an artifical human construct? :rolleyes:

Meaningless by your definition of meaning, maybe. Personally I find my life full of meaning.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Why do you people always say this? I have nothing against religious folk, but this annoys me.

We're living for ourselves etc. I know you've heard this before. Accept it like we accept you! Please!
Yes, that is what annoys me about close minded believers. Not just that though, but also how some try and convert you >.<"

Name_Taken

HSC
So you're saying that you don't care about your family, that you are only living to reach "God" which may or may not exist LOL.

I'm quite sure your reasoning of living life for an entitiy that you can not see and prove exists is a much weaker justification.

Live life to the fullest, enoy it and help others enjoy it. That is my philosophy ^_^
I never said I didn't care about my family, or that they're not important, its just my purpose in life is not direclty tied to them.

My family is a decent bunch of people, yours is too (I'm guessing), but there are many people who can't say that.

And yes God does exist, it is my faith in Him (and His existence) which drives my actions in this life. Athiests can appreciate no such purpose or greater meaning.

And no your justification of life as being to enjoy it, is meaninless, unless there is a greater purpose to your existence. Not that there is something wrong with enjoying life, but thats not justifcation for you being here.

Last edited:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I never said I didn't care about my family, or that they're not important, its just my purpose in life is not direclty tied to them.

My family is a decent bunch of people, yours is too (I'm guessing), but there are many people who can't say that.

And yes God does exist, it is my faith in Him (and His existence) which drives my actions in this life. You have no such purpose.

And no your justification of life as being to enjoy it, is meaninless, unless there is a greater purpose to your existence. Not that there is something wrong with enjoying life, but thats not justifcation for you being here.
Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Even my mother who is a dedicated catholic would disagree with your "justification" of life.

So your greater purpose in life is to get to see God (whom may or may not exist) by getting into heaven so you can enjoy your 2nd life (if there is one) and you're only "enjoying" life and interacting with people in your life now to achieve that greater purpose.

Sorry if I am offending you, but i found that an illogical load of crap. Why wouldn't you just enjoy your life now, make your current life your ideal "heaven"?

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Name_Taken said:

And yes God does exist, it is my faith in Him (and His existence) which drives my actions in this life. You have no such purpose.

There it is again.

Talking down to others as if you are better. I know you'll argue saying that you don't think you are, but your arrogance shines through in your words. You cannot argue that you accept anyone not of faith because you obviously don't.

Yet the majority of us are willing to accept you. Why is this?

We are living for our own purpose... And don't give two shits if it's for a "higher being"... Don't look down on us. We are equal to you.

I personally think that if I go to hell (if it exists)... So be it, I deserve it. I deserve all that I get, but I don't live to please anyone. Let alone someone I have not met or cannot see physically (don't give me the old 'open your mind'... It wont do any good).

Just because you work to please God does not mean that the entire human race does. You yourself said that humankind has free will... STOP SHOVING YOUR OPINIONS ON US THEN!

We. Have. Free. Choice. Don't. Lecture. Us!

Name_Taken

HSC
Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Even my mother who is a dedicated catholic would disagree with your "justification" of life.

So your greater purpose in life is to get to see God (whom may or may not exist) by getting into heaven so you can enjoy your 2nd life (if there is one) and you're only "enjoying" life and interacting with people in your life now to achieve that greater purpose.

Sorry if I am offending you, but i found that an illogical load of crap. Why wouldn't you just enjoy your life now, make your current life your ideal "heaven"?
When Jesus was asked to summarize his religion, he said that it was loving God and our neighbor. Everything else is a means to that end.

It would be difficult to summise it in a scentence, but more or less I could accept something along the lines of;
To live a morally righteous life, to love God and your fellow people, to resist the temptation to sin and glorify God in all that you accomplish and edeavour to acheive.

It is a selfless purpose, not to do the bare minimum or w/e that is required to get into Heaven.

philphie

Banned
HSC
When Jesus was asked to summarize his religion, he said that it was loving God and our neighbor. Everything else is a means to that end.

It would be difficult to summise it in a scentence, but more or less I could accept something along the lines of;
To live a morally righteous life, to love God and your fellow people, to resist the temptation to sin and glorify God in all that you accomplish and edeavour to acheive.

It is a selfless purpose, not to do the bare minimum or w/e that is required to get into Heaven.
and so what you're saying is someone who is completely unaffiliated with any religion is not capable of being a moral selfess person? that the only way to be righteous is by an obligation to a superior being?

now i wonder what rings more meaning, a selfless act, or an obligation, hmmmm

Name_Taken

HSC
There it is again.

Talking down to others as if you are better. I know you'll argue saying that you don't think you are, but your arrogance shines through in your words. You cannot argue that you accept anyone not of faith because you obviously don't.

Yet the majority of us are willing to accept you. Why is this?

We are living for our own purpose... And don't give two shits if it's for a "higher being"... Don't look down on us. We are equal to you.

I personally think that if I go to hell (if it exists)... So be it, I deserve it. I deserve all that I get, but I don't live to please anyone. Let alone someone I have not met or cannot see physically (don't give me the old 'open your mind'... It wont do any good).

Just because you work to please God does not mean that the entire human race does. You yourself said that humankind has free will... STOP SHOVING YOUR OPINIONS ON US THEN!

We. Have. Free. Choice. Don't. Lecture. Us!
Buddy I never forced you to read this.

If I was following you around with a megaphone I could see why you are complaining.

You must understand however that part of being Christian is about spreading the faith, not forcing it down peoples throats (and I'm not trying to do that). I would never have become Christian if someone didn't tell me about God in the beginning etc.

And I don't think I am any better to you or any other person (Christian or not).

I don't intend to come off like an angry arrogant oppressive prick over the internet lol, and sorry if I do coz really I'm not trying to :p

philphie

Banned
HSC
although i am agnostic, there is one thing i find in common with most humanists that i can not stand: that just because they're atheist, etc it inherently makes them better than everyone else. this i do not appreciate, it is just as bad as self righteousness that rings in other religions

Last edited:

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Whereas someone like me would see it thus:

"To live a morally right life, not necessarily religiously; to love your fellow people, to resist the temptation to be a bad person, and glorify yourself in all that you accomplish and endeavour to achieve."

Name_Taken

HSC
and so what you're saying is someone who is completely unaffiliated with any religion is not capable of being a moral selfess person? that the only way to be righteous is by an obligation to a superior being?

now i wonder what rings more meaning, a selfless act, or an obligation, hmmmm
Yes, pretty much.

And its not an obligation, its a choice. You are allowed to govern your own actions in this life and do as you please.

philphie

Banned
HSC
Yes, pretty much.

And its not an obligation, its a choice. You are allowed to govern your own actions in this life and do as you please.
what good you do in the world is not a selfess act if you do it to show God how good of a person you are

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)