Attn: past/present French students. (1 Viewer)

arielbelle

HSC
N/A
Just wondering what textbooks your schools use for the Preliminary and HSC courses. We changed text books too many times for my liking. Does French challenge you or is it a bore?
Parlez-moi, qu'est-que t'en pense!
A bientot.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
bonjour, i cbb typing in french so ill leave it at that...
im using elan 1 and 2 (not tapis volant like most otha scools)
in our teachers opinion its much more detailed and beter (they use it in britain as well for gcse and the a level)
wot text r u using?
french is challenging at times, and it gets boring sometimes when we go to slow..but i really like it coz u can talk bout stuff relevant to ur personal world (unlike otha subjects)
ive always dreaded the speaking exams tho-thas my weakest aspect of the language..

A bientot

arielbelle

HSC
N/A
we use ca y'est. It's sooooooo boring, french that is. I like the language but we do nooothing in class. Are you studying it for HSC? I find listening difficult, the rest are easy although for speaking I prepare my responses in advance (the teacher pretty much gives it all away). I like the french continuers course because it's all about you, your personal world. don't know about ext, you doing it?

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
yah im doin it for my hsc, listening is difficult when they talk really fast and its sorta muffled...yeh our teacher also helps us with pre-prepared responses, but sometimes nerves get the better of you and u screw the exam up...i also like the continuers course for the same reason. i dont do ext. thats 2 hard, they analyse films and stuff (its more for teh native speakers)

arielbelle

HSC
N/A
How do you find grammar? have you done passe compose? imparitif, futur proche etc. I think french is mainly labeled 'academic' because of its grammar component. and our school is somewhat lame at it.
did you know that the french continuers course is also the course studied by full-fee paying kids from France/francophone countries who come to Australia to study? What a disadvantage for us!

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
Grammar is alrite for me...we did passe compose in yr 10, imperatif i think in yr 10, i cant rememba...and we just finished futur proche...French is demanding at times when u have to write hundreds of words worth of responses, which need to have near-perfect grammar..Its pretty slack for us, as we have to compete with the native speakers,all we can do is do the best we can, theyre assured band 6, we gotta TRY and do the same...my treacher sed something encouraging tho, as she thinks that our class is filled with band 5/6 students

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Originally posted by arielbelle
Just wondering what textbooks your schools use for the Preliminary and HSC courses. We changed text books too many times for my liking. Does French challenge you or is it a bore?
Parlez-moi, qu'est-que t'en pense!
A bientot.
Bonjour!
My school uses Encore Tricolore (sp?). But I did my Year 12 French course at Open High School and they have their own set of text books that got sent to you every 3 or 4 weeks.

sometimes, I use the Encore Tricolore as my supp. guide.

I think that French is one of the subjects that I actually enjoy doing. It's like a leisure because you can study it by watching movies in French (some DVD have French as audio as well as subtitles). I was so close in dropping French in Yr 12 (long story!) but I am so glad that I didn't!!

g0mug0mu

We used "au point" for our french learning, but for the most part we worked off random sheets that our french teacher gave us. French was bloody boring in my oppinion, but hell, i guess that's what happens when the subject doesn't change over the period of your high school existence. The strange thing is...we've used au point ever since year 7 i just realised. At least, our year 7 teacher used it, then we used other stuff like...yeah well i can't really remember. Something about connaissances perhaps. I think it might have been a question title. Anyway. I loved the french extension text book ... ... ... mmm... that non existant one.

arielbelle

HSC
N/A
yap, you guys are soo right. by the look of it, french is not just boring for me. I'm somehow contemplating dropping it for yr 12, don't know if it's worth it though.

jellybeenz

HSC
We used Ca y'est text book as well as sheets from all these other ones. I found French Coninuers the biggest bludge all of Year 11- we seriously sat around and did nothing all lesson. I aced my preliminary comprehension exam but the rest I kinda failed.

Doing French was good in Year 11- a lot of fun, but I dropped it for Year 12 because I didn't like it enough to work hard.

arielbelle

HSC
N/A
I drop french because it's soo boring. the stuff we did in yr 10 was yr 8 stuff repeated and in yr 11, we go sooooo slow i can jig lessons a week and still be the coolest chick in class. i guess i hate memorising vocab, and the grammar is slightly confusing too.

SKA

me and my baby
HSC
I dropped French this year coz its fucking gay.... 4 years of it is long enuff... but umm about the text book thingo... we only used a text book in yr 8 and 9
we neva used text books in the prelim yr!!!!

Last edited:

arielbelle

HSC
N/A
yeah, by the look of it. most schools quite disregard languages. all the better because i've officially dropped it. my teacher was soooo nice. i was her star pupil. but then i have to think about my future, hsc, uai and stuff. the only regret is that french scales rather well. extension is amongst the best. that always puts a sense of uncertainty in me.

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
yeah, by the look of it. most schools quite disregard languages. all the better because i've officially dropped it. my teacher was soooo nice. i was her star pupil. but then i have to think about my future, hsc, uai and stuff. the only regret is that french scales rather well. extension is amongst the best. that always puts a sense of uncertainty in me.
oh no you dropped it? :(

arielbelle

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by sugaryblue
oh no you dropped it? :(
do you think i shouldn't have? i'm a bit confused myself. it's all a big tangle somewhere in my head.... i guess even if i wanted to pick it up, i could still do that cos they don't do an assessment until term 1 2004, and i can catch up easily. you did ext didn't you sugaryblue?

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
do you think i shouldn't have? i'm a bit confused myself. it's all a big tangle somewhere in my head.... i guess even if i wanted to pick it up, i could still do that cos they don't do an assessment until term 1 2004, and i can catch up easily. you did ext didn't you sugaryblue?
no i didn't do ext french. I wish i did though :(

well, since french is a bludgy subject (in a way for many) and it's a subject that you probably don't need to spend a lot of time to study (like i said, just watch French stuff). then it'll be silly to just drop it while it has a possibility of being one of your top 10 subjects!! Also, it's cool to have it on your resume to say 'French' as one of the languages that you can speak :)

As I have told you, due to 'some unpredicted incidence', i had to drop french, but i totally regretted it after I did. so i picked it up again :) and I am so glad that i didn't drop it for the HSC (actually, I yet to know my results ~sigh~)

arielbelle

HSC
N/A
i just hate going to class. if i did french and ext, i'd have 14 units. the content is easy but the time you spend bludging in class is significantly a lot. i also hate going offline for my other units because of quality of teachers and lessons etc. i don't know. french scales so high though.

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
i just hate going to class. if i did french and ext, i'd have 14 units. the content is easy but the time you spend bludging in class is significantly a lot. i also hate going offline for my other units because of quality of teachers and lessons etc. i don't know. french scales so high though.
umm... study French by correspondence then :)
If you really wanna continue, try doing French in 1) Open High School or 2) Private tutor

cranberries

show Pony
HSC
N/A
I'm doing french and french ext for hsc next year. It's actually kinda bad cause we had the WORST teacher for prelim and i barely know anything past year 10. Plus i'm only doing 10 units which really sucks but couldn't be avoided cause hist ext was waayyyyy too boring, which means i have to HAUL ASS on french if i want a good uai

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)