Australia to get world's most powerful supercomputer (1 Viewer)

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
So along with the world's most powerful space telescope (by a long shot), Australia will get the world's most powerful supercomputer (By a long shot)

God I hope we win this bid (if you don't know, the bid is now down to between South Africa and Australia, but most people investors are cheering for Australia). In fact, I think it's a good sign that businesses like IBM have already started investing lots in Australia in preparation for it.

Clearly if Australia wins this it'll be a major technological and economic boon to the country, as well as a significant credibility boost to the CSIRO (although it's already pretty eminently known).

They'll probably have to lay down a shitload of new fibre optic lines to support it, too. :cool:

Link: SKA telescope to provide a billion PCs' worth of processing - ASKA, ASKAP, csiro, exaflop - Computerworld

You can read up on the previous thread I posted about this here

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
Indeed. For reference, the SKA is/will be about as big a scientific achievement as Europe's LHC or America's moon landing.

Heck, maybe bigger. And the beauty is that it will end up costing about a quarter (between $2.5 and $5 billion) what the LHC did (which was $20 billion).

Australia has already started building it, whether we win the bid or not. So far we've built:
- A $100 million dollar International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research (ICRAR) in Perth
- An $80 million dollar supercomputing centre in Perth
- A $110 million dollar SKA pathfinder array (ASKAP) in Northern WA which, incidentally, will be the most powerful space telescope in the world until the SKA comes online

All of these things will become part of the SKA once Australia wins the bid.

I just checked, and South Africa registers a total of $29 million dollars of prior investment so far. One tenth of what we have.

Last edited:

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
All I can say is awsm, both the SKA and seeing all the work us SEARFE kids did coming to fruition.

HSC
N/A
shodan said:
indeed. For reference, the ska is/will be about as big a scientific achievement as europe's lhc or america's moon landing.
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL

yeah nah, it won't be.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL

yeah nah, it won't be.
Fuck off Neb you little stain on humanity.

Anyway, you're wrong (what a surprise). Scientists have been saying that again and again about the SKA. Which shouldn't be hard to understand if you've done any amount of reading on the topic, but then again you're half brain-dead, so who am I kidding.

The SKA is a massive scientific and technological advancement and with such a high resolution it'll answer questions about the universe we could previously only dream of. The exact same reasons the LHC and moon landing have the status they do. In the first hour of runtime, the SKA will collect more data than all the world's space telescopes before it put together have in their entire operational lifetime.

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
Notice how they're investing all these new buildings in Western Australia, obviously this could be because the telescope is being built closer to there, but I reckon it's due to the huge economic boom to come to WA with the Gorgon LNG project.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
Notice how they're investing all these new buildings in Western Australia, obviously this could be because the telescope is being built closer to there, but I reckon it's due to the huge economic boom to come to WA with the Gorgon LNG project.
Hmm. This has been in the planing stages for many years. The Gorgon gas deal is barely months old. It's mainly coincidence - WA has the best radio quiet in the world, so most, but not all, of the dish will be built there.

HSC
N/A
Fuck off Neb you little stain on humanity.

Anyway, you're wrong (what a surprise). Scientists have been saying that again and again about the SKA. Which shouldn't be hard to understand if you've done any amount of reading on the topic, but then again you're half brain-dead, so who am I kidding.

The SKA is a massive scientific and technological advancement and with such a high resolution it'll answer questions about the universe we could previously only dream of. The exact same reasons the LHC and moon landing have the status they do. In the first hour of runtime, the SKA will collect more data than all the world's space telescopes before it put together have in their entire operational lifetime.
you see, each of those examples you listed did something original, highly insightful and unique, and utterly unbeaten previously. this new iBM will perform a few extra calculations so we can simulate the effects of rapid cooling in glasses to a slightly more accurate degree!

and to make matters more exciting, it will be obsolete in a matter of days!

keep dreaming, cumquat.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
you see, each of those examples you listed did something original, highly insightful and unique, and utterly unbeaten previously. this new iBM will perform a few extra calculations so we can simulate the effects of rapid cooling in glasses to a slightly more accurate degree!

and to make matters more exciting, it will be obsolete in a matter of days!

keep dreaming, cumquat.
You retard. I said the SKA, not IBM's supercomputer. I figured you'd at least have basic reading comprehension, but obviously I gave your minimal intelligence too much credit. You continue to surprise me.

My original post, for reference:

For reference, the SKA is/will be about as big a scientific achievement as Europe's LHC or America's moon landing.
See if you can determine where your fuck-up is. I know it's an entire sentence, but if you take it slow, give yourself a few hours to digest it, you might just figure it out.

Golda Meir

HSC
N/A
well, dude, i didn't even know an IBM supercomputer existed. I just came up with a generic computer name so i could ridicule you

you gotta understand that i really don't care about terroflaps as much as you do

good try though

:)

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
well, dude, i didn't even know an IBM supercomputer existed. I just came up with a generic computer name so i could ridicule you

you gotta understand that i really don't care about terroflaps as much as you do

good try though

:)
You're not even making sense Neb. You haven't even read the fucking thread. The SKA is the Square Kilometre Array radio telescope. Just go back to being banned son.

Golda Meir

HSC
N/A
I THOUGHT WE WERE TALKING ABOUT A BIG COMPUTER!@?!??!?!
was i wrong?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)