Australian Politics (1 Viewer)

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
But where can we lay the credit for this? To the coalition for putting away for a rainy day over the years they were in power (albeit golden economic years that they were, granted), or Labor, who broke into the piggy bank to claim all the credit?

Not a biased question at all <_<
I'm not particularly impressed by Rudd's team. Howard's days were mediocre. He could've fucked the country up like Bush did America. He didn't. Howard wasn't bad by any means. But he barely saved anything (though the fact that a country/government is saving at all is a credit to it), and dithered on Telstra, and much of the (de)regulatory groundwork had already been layed by Hawke-Keating.

Australia has had pretty competent governments on both sides since before I was born.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Yeah youd have to say that Rudd Labor is the most incompetent Cth government in our lifetimes

Lentern

HSC
I'm not particularly impressed by Rudd's team. Howard's days were mediocre. He could've fucked the country up like Bush did America. He didn't. Howard wasn't bad by any means. But he barely saved anything (though the fact that a country/government is saving at all is a credit to it), and dithered on Telstra, and much of the (de)regulatory groundwork had already been layed by Hawke-Keating.

Australia has had pretty competent governments on both sides since before I was born.
Would that mean that the Howard/Peacock/Beazley oppositions are just about the worst of imaginable considering how they all made genuine attempts to vote down many Howard/Keating economic policies in the senate?

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
Would that mean that the Howard/Peacock/Beazley oppositions are just about the worst of imaginable considering how they all made genuine attempts to vote down many Howard/Keating economic policies in the senate?
No, it would just mean they were acting like the Liberals always do in opposition: vote against any good ideas that weren't put forth by them. :eek:

Lentern

HSC
No, it would just mean they were acting like the Liberals always do in opposition: vote against any good ideas that weren't put forth by them. :eek:
And thats a good thing? For the opposition to attempt to block good policy in the name of being mary mary quite contrary?

Lentern

HSC
Do I look like I'm about to vote for them?
You're not answering the question. Considering their perchance to vote down whatever they could whenever they could and considering you believe both the Howard government and the Keating government to be good economic governments, were Beazley, Peacock and Howard bad leaders of the opposition?

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
I'm not obliged to answer your questions, Lentern. But I have answered them implicitly anyway, not that I know why you're blathering on about them.

To recap: I have a dim view of the Australian Liberal Party and its leaders. I simply acknowledge that they didn't run the economy into the ground, kept it growing, largely kept regulations sensible and thus there's not much to fault them on economically.

I have little interest discussing the politics of history with you, though, especially the politics of opposition in history (which seems a particularly boring affair given the general impotence of opposition).

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
lol good call slidey

lentern u webellious wabble wouser

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
You mean the Pope? Has the last dangling thread of your faith really and truely finally snapped my dear??

Lentern

HSC
You mean the Pope? Has the last dangling thread of your faith really and truely finally snapped my dear??
To lose faith in the pope is not to lose faith in the religion. He is not saint peter, he is his representative just as Iago represented Othello. If Peter himself could deny christ thrice before the cock crowed, what hope does a humble bishop forged out of the fires of the Third Reich stand?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
answer the question homosexual

Lentern

HSC
answer the question homosexual
If your going to be like that then no my faith has not snappe and I still love Jesus. And no I did not mean the pope I meant Bishop Peter Ingham.

Lentern

HSC
Just finished reading the article in the herald about Malcolms ultimatum. Best move of his leadership thus far and it suggests to me he is learning very quickly. The partyroom forcing the leader to back down and run with something he doesn't believe in is ugly. He wouldn't have any electability left in him and before too long someone would recognise that and replace him.

If he gets his way he suddenly has establishled real authority over the liberal party. Some excited journo's will suggest he won a significant battle in reforming the party. The liberal parrty will have new direction, energy, they will be in touch with "real Australians" again. He'll have alot more political capital to spend if he pulls this off then if he went for a compromise.

The alternative is he resigns and angrilly declares the liberal party have condemmed itself to become a relic of the past with no relevance in contemporary Australia. He assumes the Costello position on the backbench. Meanwhile probably Abbot maybe Bishop become much more Howardesque in their leadership and sees labor get its biggest win since 1943. The Howard supporters insist they curtailed the extent of the damage which helps keep the failed leader in for a little while but the party knows better. They wonder what might of happened if Turnbull (still lurking on the backbench) had lead the party to the election. Turnbull leads a coup and wins and after the disaster of the previous election has a security in his leadership that did not exist in his first stint plus the government is less fun.

Ofcourse this is all extremely unlikely because of the wild card that is...

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Why on earth would Costello take leadership over the Liberal Party with its current and near-future contents?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Just finished reading the article in the herald about Malcolms ultimatum. Best move of his leadership thus far and it suggests to me he is learning very quickly. The partyroom forcing the leader to back down and run with something he doesn't believe in is ugly. He wouldn't have any electability left in him and before too long someone would recognise that and replace him.

If he gets his way he suddenly has establishled real authority over the liberal party. Some excited journo's will suggest he won a significant battle in reforming the party. The liberal parrty will have new direction, energy, they will be in touch with "real Australians" again. He'll have alot more political capital to spend if he pulls this off then if he went for a compromise.
Except he's really just arguing for the Coalition to be faithful to what they put forward in the last election...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)