Australian Politics (2 Viewers)

Lentern

HSC
Censure motion against Julia. Fun. One imagines a censure motion is where Julia would really thrive though; I think the opposition would have been better to attack Julia on lateline, 7:30 report etc. Censure motions-thats the thing Julia does do well. Still Julia and Malcolm are brilliant debaters so it should be good watching.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
To quote the Sydney Morning Herald:

THE test for immigrants intending to become citizens has been changed: no longer will would-be Australians have to be experts in the careers of Don Bradman and Walter Lindrum. Instead they will have to answer simple, straightforward questions such as: have you stopped beating your spouse? This will be much simpler, and in answering intending citizens should gain important insights into Australian values. The correct response, readers will be aware, depends on the applicant's sporting ability. For the non-sporting applicant, the correct answer is: "All domestic violence appals me. I only apply discipline occasionally, out of love, in private, as my religion prescribes, and using a padded whip." For those who have a chance of gaining this country a gold medal at the London Olympics (or indeed, of playing in a rugby league grand final) the correct answer is: "No. Unless you have pictures which might offend major sponsors, in which case my spouse got those bruises falling down the stairs."

Lentern

HSC
Just finished reading an article in the good weekend about Lady Julia and was nearly sick. I admit the hard facts that the so called journalist put up all seemed to fit but the interpretations were what I’d expect from the Telegraph not the herald. But the one that really irked me went something like this
Throughout 2005 although the ALP were outpolling the Coalition Beazley was personally less popular then Howard and any occasional lead he did create was nothing compared to the 2pp lead. (that bit is ok, that’s fact.) Therefore the ALP was the peoples preferred party of government but they might still vote Howard, as they had done in the past to avoid getting Beazley.

ITS BOLLOCKS. I draw people’s attention to the nominal leadership of the Campbelltown kid. The lad was super popular, record breaking approval ratings and all that jazz...never lead on 2pp. Most of the time he trailed quite substantially. Unless the ALP underwent dramatic reforms in early 05 (which Beazley would have overseen anyway) then you would have to say the leadership of Beazley had indeed been effective in returning the ALP to a winning position.

Other news Andrew Robb has resigned because of depression and if Turnbull makes it to the election he will be the longest serving opposition leader since Beazley circa 2001.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I guess they cant look to Robb to 'save the furniture' anymore. The house is lost regardless and I wouldnt be surprised if Turnbull decideds to go out in a blaze of glory instead of a sensible whimper. Next year should be fun!

Lentern

HSC
I guess they cant look to Robb to 'save the furniture' anymore. The house is lost regardless and I wouldnt be surprised if Turnbull decideds to go out in a blaze of glory instead of a sensible whimper. Next year should be fun!
You lost faith in people skills coming to the rescue then? I'm starting to think its more possible although unwise. Recent history says Malcolm is not likely to make it but who could take his place? Dr Nelson and Lord Downer are gone, Costello's wont touch it unless it looks as though victory is likely, Robb is depressed, rumour has it Hockey isn't interested... That leaves Abbott, Bishop and maybe Pyne.

Another other news, heard on the radio the other night Costello's advisor or chief of staff or something was selected for Higgins. If ever there was someone who would willingly vacate to make room for the parties Messiah...

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Hockey and Abbott are looking to after the election me thinks. Theyd be mad to do anything before

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
Rudd admits to telling Labour ministers to fuck off when they complained about cuts to their bonuses, but says it's a Labour tradition to engage in vibrant conversation so he won't apologise. Hahahaha.

Kevin Rudd has refused to apologise for repeatedly swearing during a meeting with factional bosses earlier this month, saying the "robust conversation" was consistent with Labor Party traditions.

A number of MPs copped some expletives when they visited the prime minister's parliament house office to object to plans to cut politicians' annual printing allowances by 25 per cent to $75,000.

The PM said in the presence of three female MPs: "I don't care what you f***ers think," News Limited has reported.

He later told another senator: "You can get f***ed."

Mr Rudd admits he swore.

"It's fair to say, consistent with the traditions of the Australia Labor Party, we're given to robust conversations," Mr Rudd told reporters in New York when asked about the meeting.

"I made my point of view absolutely clear.

"These entitlements needed to be cut back.

"I make no apology for either the content of my conversation or the robustness with which I expressed my views."

In a random survey of printing allowance use, the auditor-general found that in 74 per cent of instances the entitlement was at risk of being misused.

During the 2007/08 financial year - which covered the 2007 election - the auditor-general found some MPs were using the printing allowance primarily for re-election purposes.

Foreign Minister Stephen Smith says Mr Rudd doesn't have more of a potty mouth than anyone else in the community.

"There's as much chance of the prime minister swearing as you and I have sworn from time to time in the past," he told the Nine Network's Laurie Oakes.

"All of us engage regrettably in that sort of language from time to time."

Mr Smith said the most important thing was that the policy of capping printing payments was "absolutely right".

Infrastructure Minister Anthony Albanese declined to comment on the swearing because he wasn't at the meeting but said the prime minister had acted appropriately regarding the allowance.

"The Australian people will get some comfort from the fact that the prime minister isn't dictated to by any group, faction, interest group within the party," Mr Albanese told Network Ten.
PM admits using F-word at Labor MPs

Lentern

HSC
One suspects Rudd's own office is probably the least thrifty of it all. I wonder if this means YCW are no longer going to get free photocopying/printing from Julie Owens office.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
I'm almost wondering if Rudd's office intentionally leaked this news story. Control of the news cycle + coming across as a normal person + coming across as somebody independent who gets the job done without bowing to factional loyalties.

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
No doubt the Labor party meeting transcripts would be blacklisted by the net censorship were that to go ahead xD

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I'm almost wondering if Rudd's office intentionally leaked this news story. Control of the news cycle + coming across as a normal person + coming across as somebody independent who gets the job done without bowing to factional loyalties.
Lol doubt it. Love the jumpy spin about foul language being a Labor tradition. If Kev's going down, the party shall go down with him!@

His arrogance will inevitably lead to his distant downfall

Lentern

HSC
His arrogance will inevitably lead to his distant downfall
That narrative has been written about every prime minister since McMahon except maybe Hawke. Be more creative.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
Of the major advanced economies (OECD), Australia is the only one to stay out of recession so far, has the second-lowest unemployment, the lowest debt, and the lowest deficit.

Also, Australian owns 4 of the worlds 9 remaining AA or higher rated banks.

Last edited:

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
Of the major advanced economies (OECD), Australia is the only one to stay out of recession so far, has the second-lowest unemployment, the lowest debt, and the lowest deficit.

Also, Australian owns 4 of the worlds 9 remaining AA or higher rated banks.
But where can we lay the credit for this? To the coalition for putting away for a rainy day over the years they were in power (albeit golden economic years that they were, granted), or Labor, who broke into the piggy bank to claim all the credit?

Not a biased question at all <_<

Garygaz

HSC
But where can we lay the credit for this? To the coalition for putting away for a rainy day over the years they were in power (albeit golden economic years that they were, granted), or Labor, who broke into the piggy bank to claim all the credit?

Not a biased question at all <_<
Not a biased opinion at all

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)