Australian Politics (4 Viewers)

badquinton304

HSC
alexdore993 said:
If you missed it, you can watch all of the four parts, as well as extra content on the ABC Howard Years website.

Make sure you take a look at the George Bush interview. He is suprisingly well-spoken and on-the-ball, I thought...
Yes I was also suprised that he did not fumble. Though there really is not much pressure in an interview of a biographical nature. I was really intrested in what Costello had to say and other cabinet ministers. It seemed as if most of the cabinet disagreed with Howard on his most controversial issues.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Rafy said:
It does not matter who the leader is. Leadership is not the problem. There is a financial crisis. Crises/wars etc always produce a spike in support for the incumbent (Unless of course the incumbent is to blame). The Libs just need to ride it out.
Turnbull;: We can get together... once in a while, way the hell out in the middle of nowhere, but...

Party: Once in a while? Every three fuckin' years?

Turnbull: If you can't fix it, Jack, you gotta stand it.

Party: For how long?

Turnbull: For as long as we can ride it. There ain't no reins on this one

impervious182

HSC
badquinton304 said:
Yes I was also suprised that he did not fumble. Though there really is not much pressure in an interview of a biographical nature. I was really intrested in what Costello had to say and other cabinet ministers. It seemed as if most of the cabinet disagreed with Howard on his most controversial issues.
Costello really gave me the shits to be honest. He was just trying to save his ass by claiming that he had always lobbied to get Kyoto signed and the 'sorry' said within the party. Give me a break. He's just a shallow liar.

All of his colleagues rebuked his account of events; it's like he's the only one who remembers that. He's just trying to be a snivelling brown-nose to the Australian people and that's one thing I can't stand.

Costello's obviously trying to distance himself from Howard's time in office, but the way he is doing it just makes him sound like a liar and a weakling. I've changed my mind about Costello... not that I ever really liked him as a politician.

And what about that whole saga, where he was acting like a baby with the GST; unwilling to make a compromise on it, calling it 'my GST reform' etc. Howard had to save that, but it's funny how only Costello remembers it differently. Even the Democrats rebuked his account.

Yep... that's enough of my Costello-bashing for one day.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Yeah I thought Costello clearly came out the worst in the series. Just confirmed what everyone thought - that he had this petulant sense of entitlement, but wasnt willing to fight for it. I'd be surprised if he ever comes back. Some of the stuff he was saying was verging on Lathamesque

Lentern

HSC
alexdore993 said:
Costello really gave me the shits to be honest. He was just trying to save his ass by claiming that he had always lobbied to get Kyoto signed and the 'sorry' said within the party. Give me a break. He's just a shallow liar.

All of his colleagues rebuked his account of events; it's like he's the only one who remembers that. He's just trying to be a snivelling brown-nose to the Australian people and that's one thing I can't stand.

Costello's obviously trying to distance himself from Howard's time in office, but the way he is doing it just makes him sound like a liar and a weakling. I've changed my mind about Costello... not that I ever really liked him as a politician.

And what about that whole saga, where he was acting like a baby with the GST; unwilling to make a compromise on it, calling it 'my GST reform' etc. Howard had to save that, but it's funny how only Costello remembers it differently. Even the Democrats rebuked his account.

Yep... that's enough of my Costello-bashing for one day.
Hockey, Mclaughlin, Petro, Laird, Downer, Pyne seemed to agree with Costello a fair bit. I've often found it interesting he and Turnbull don't seem to get along, I guess they both wanted to be the "alternative, more progressive liberal leader" and treaded on each others toes a fair bit.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Because Turnbull is a fighter

impervious182

HSC
Iron said:
Yeah I thought Costello clearly came out the worst in the series. Just confirmed what everyone thought - that he had this petulant sense of entitlement, but wasnt willing to fight for it. I'd be surprised if he ever comes back. Some of the stuff he was saying was verging on Lathamesque
I thought the exact same thing.

Costello's attacks were Lathamesque; though milder, less venemous and less crude. Only, where Latham tried to challenge Howard at his prime, Costello was not willing, or didn't have the guts, to do the same.

HSC
I thought JHo came out of the last episode looking a bit poor. His decisions about succession really seemed to hinge upon how the public would remember him rather than the good of the party...A little bit stubborn and vain

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I would like to read a copy of Costello's speech which he wrote alone in the hotel.
He got teary explaining it
'I wouldve ratified Kyoto, I had an idea for opening accounts to pay for children's education... It was a good speech!'

Lentern

HSC
Trefoil said:
I disagree.

To quote some random berk in a blog:
Key difference, what politicians should do, and what they will do. We shall never know why fourty seven lemmings chose to ease the squeeze, in an alternative universe Kim Beazley snuck in to become prime minister in early December 04. It was probably Marky Marks record high approval ratings. Turnbull will be lucky to make it to 2010 and if he does he will no doubt face media speculation about his security in his job, an election loss will compound that and make it near impossible for him to reach 2012-2013.

It is a shame though, from the perspective of a social progressive, Labor can't govern forever and Turnbull has the most progressive stance of any liberal leader (if you don't count post political life Fraser) and he has the political talent to pull of a landslide win if the circumstances were better. As a prime minister he would move the centre towards the left. Alas it is not meant to be.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Howard shouldve surprised everyone and handed over to Turnbull during APEC. Costello would quietly slink off

Lentern

HSC
Iron said:
Because Turnbull is a fighter
Don't write Costello off just yet, he wouldn't be hanging around for nothing. You can say Turnbull had the gumption to stand up and take the lead or whatever but it was suicide. He destroyed any chance of becoming prime minister by taking the leadership so early, he should have shoved Abbott or Bishop in the grinder. Costello wants to manipulate the honeymoon period I think. But if anyone thinks Costello would have been smart to attempt a Keatingeque coup on Howard you've raving mad. If he loses he loses everything and if he wins he'd have buckleys chance of winning the next election and the post hoc would have been about how the invincible Howard would have crushed Rudd/Beazley and so on and so forth.

Lentern

HSC
Iron said:
Howard shouldve surprised everyone and handed over to Turnbull during APEC. Costello would quietly slink off
Don't they hate each other? It'd be like Mark Latham endorsing Senator Conroy for the leadership.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Enemy enemy frieeend.
But whatever Lentern. Most discussion about politics is no more informed or reputable than witchcraft

Lentern

HSC
Iron said:
Enemy enemy frieeend.
But whatever Lentern. Most discussion about politics is no more informed or reputable than witchcraft
Considering how little we know about the inner workings of the machine they manage to be extraordinarilly predictable though.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
lol you mean in hindsight?

Lentern

HSC
Iron said:
lol you mean in hindsight?
Hey! I make predictions, Gerrard Henderson is the hindsight git not me. You want predictions, Rudd will win the next election, Turnbull will not be around to contest the one afterwards, Rudd will lose the one afterwards unless Tony Abbott or Bronwyn Bishop by some miracle get to contest it, Ted whatshisname(the victorian guy) won't make it to the next election but libs will win, Dave Cameron will beat Gordon Brown, Marrickville and Balmain will go the greens in the next state election, likewise Melbourne will in the federal one, ask me a question, I'll give you an answer, I don't whimp out of predictions.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
There are too many variables. It's just gambling without money. Much better to latch on to absolute values and give them your full-throated, unwavering support. It's not all about winning, it's about the love of the game. Stop being so neutral :p

Lentern

HSC
Iron said:
There are too many variables. It's just gambling without money. Much better to latch on to absolute values and give them your full-throated, unwavering support. It's not all about winning, it's about the love of the game. Stop being so neutral :p
Much as I love being right I'd sooner be wrong an see Greens form a government.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)