Australian Politics (1 Viewer)

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Without a global movement however you get into a situation the proportionate impact of our reductions multiplies many fold. Therefore far more good would come from us acting now when nobody else is, than would come from us acting as part of a global consensus.
That is true, although is based on the assumption that the rest of the world did indeed follow our lead. To gamble with the Australian economy like that is a fairly big risk.

Lentern

HSC
That is true, although is based on the assumption that the rest of the world did indeed follow our lead. To gamble with the Australian economy like that is a fairly big risk.
No it isn't, climate change is not an all or nothing concept it is very much a case of how much can we curb its impacts by. The extent to which we curbed the impact wouldn't cease to exist because a global consensus doesn't come about.

And great risk, you seriously aren't telling me that the clean energy bill is going to have any significant economic impact are you?

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
At the end of the day though, Australia could be the world leader in climate change action and reduce our emissions drastically, and the world may not follow suit. China may continue to produce more and more emissions etc.

Cleaning up the environment is good, I am all for that. However, the reality is that most company's are asses driven purely by profit. If they see an opportunity to move overseas and use cheaper labor/cheaper production methods (that may be less environmentally sound) to get more profit, then they will do that. In fact we have already seen many do it. It is a fine balancing act.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Carr is an idiot as far as I am concerned. Gillard should have just given Smith back the FA portfolio.

Lentern

HSC
Carr is an idiot as far as I am concerned. Gillard should have just given Smith back the FA portfolio.
Yes darling but you read Andrew Bolt. And why do I keep bringing that up? Because it is paramount, it will undermine everything you ever say until you repudiate your defences of him.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Yes darling but you read Andrew Bolt. And why do I keep bringing that up? Because it is paramount, it will undermine everything you ever say until you repudiate your defences of him.
Yes, although that is irrelevnt.

In other news, the Herald Sun now plans to charge for online access to Bolt's blog. Screw that.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Andrew Bolt makes a lot of sense though. While I don't agree with his ideology, his arguments are logical. I still loathe Abbott though.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Can't see Carr becoming prime minister (or at least leader of the Labor party) for some reason. Possible, but improbable IMO.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
Yes, although that is irrelevnt.

In other news, the Herald Sun now plans to charge for online access to Bolt's blog. Screw that.
Don't worry, his blog is still free

and it's not like his readers ever read more than the headline anyway

Lentern

HSC
Can't see Carr becoming prime minister (or at least leader of the Labor party) for some reason. Possible, but improbable IMO.
If for no other reason than he's a senator. Some constitutional technicality isn't going to see Labor ignore the confines of convention and precedent, particularly when there are five genuine contenders (Gillard, Crean, Rudd, Shorten and Smith) in the lower house.

Lentern

HSC
Poor ol' Swanny
Actually he appears to be muscling up for the leadership as well lately. I think he believes that if Gillard goes down, unless he usurps her he'll be going down with her. Hard to imagine under Smith but Crean and Rudd certainly have no love for Swanny.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)