Australian University Teaching Rankings (1 Viewer)

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
AsyLum said:
The world would be abetter place if we were all blonde nympho gods
and lesbians. Those are cool.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Asquithian you just rehashed my previous comment about there being no such thing as the best law school and that it IS a matter of opinion.....which was my original point.

And by 'pick of the law schools' I meant that I got to choose which one I went to. Not that I necessarily chose which one I thought would be the outright best. Obviously that would have been Sydney. But there were many other factors influencing my decision that didn't necessarily have anything to do with the quality of the law school itself. I have been pleasantly suprised and do not regret my choice....THAT was the moral of my story.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
And uh, where did this culture thing come from...of course different races have different cultures? Otherwise the world (and Australia for that matter) would be a very boring place....

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Grow up you immature little moron. Keep debates in the threads they belong in, don't drag your issues into EVERY SINGLE BLOODY THREAD

santaslayer

HSC
Asquithian said:
But I really should say something when people say general and broad things about their university as justification as why they are better than the others.
The thing is that these 'general' and 'broad' things Ms 12 has highlighted have actually been backed up by solid proof. Just look at the original thread topic for a quick example.

The critics though, have not presented us with anything to back up their statements.

Is this gonna turn into a boring culture/background/race thread?

LucaWell

HSC
My advice to anyone picking a University would be this: Make sure what you want to achieve by going to Uni. Do you want to go to a university where every day feels nice and where you feel that your lecturers and tutors are funny and supportive - then look carefully at the rankings in this tread.

If however, you want to learn something and have the best possibilities later then pick a university from the 'real' university ranking (such as the THES).

The reason is that learning often hurts. For example one pedagogical approach is for the lecturer to 'folow' the students in the first classes. If the students act nonchelantly the lecturer will do the same etc. This will leave many students in a frustrating uncertainty. The weak students will begin to questiojn why they even bother turn up, but the hope is that they will realize that they are not there for the sake of the lecturer or tutor, but because they themselves need to learn. They have a need - therefore they need to be at least as motivated as the lecturer is.

Once the intrinsic motivation is in place the students will learn for life and not just have 'a good relaxing time' for 12 weeks.

However, this is one of the many different techniques that pay off for students, but that at the same time is not readily obvious to the students what was going on. Consequently, some (especially the weakest and less self-motivated) students will strongly dislike being put on the spot like that. They will feel a long way (maybe even till the end) that they had to do everything themselves.

Only the best teachers will use methods such as this. Why? Because most university teachers have no pedagogical background that allows them to pick and chose methods such as this one. so they just rely on a common 'how to be popular at a family party' routine. They smile and try to make everyone comfortable etc. They are affraid to move and really provoke the students because that will not result in high popularity marks (student evaluations).

Imagine that 18 year olds had to mark their parents on their 'quality of parenting' monthly. When would the parents get the highest marks: when saying "drink your milk and go to bed early" or when saying "do you want more Coca Cola? or do you want to watch the Simpsons in front of the TV with a big bowl of chips?"

The ranking in this tread is a popularity ranking that is a very dangerous deroute for good teaching because it takes away the pedagogical freedom to do what is best for the students even if it may hurt a little. Real learning is a process and far from always pain-less.

Imo. go for a university that has researchers that made the theories and wrote the books. They will move you in that direction - it may hurt, but you will learn (professional teaching evaluations made by pedagogical professionals should assure that instead of student popularity contests) instead of going to a university with parrots that just repeat the essence of other people's findings - albeit kind and popular parrots.

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You're a hscer?

What in fucks name would you know about the intrinsics of university learning?

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
LucaWell said:
My advice to anyone picking a University would be this: Make sure what you want to achieve by going to Uni. Do you want to go to a university where every day feels nice and where you feel that your lecturers and tutors are funny and supportive - then look carefully at the rankings in this tread.

If however, you want to learn something and have the best possibilities later then pick a university from the 'real' university ranking (such as the THES).

The reason is that learning often hurts. For example one pedagogical approach is for the lecturer to 'folow' the students in the first classes. If the students act nonchelantly the lecturer will do the same etc. This will leave many students in a frustrating uncertainty. The weak students will begin to questiojn why they even bother turn up, but the hope is that they will realize that they are not there for the sake of the lecturer or tutor, but because they themselves need to learn. They have a need - therefore they need to be at least as motivated as the lecturer is.

Once the intrinsic motivation is in place the students will learn for life and not just have 'a good relaxing time' for 12 weeks.

However, this is one of the many different techniques that pay off for students, but that at the same time is not readily obvious to the students what was going on. Consequently, some (especially the weakest and less self-motivated) students will strongly dislike being put on the spot like that. They will feel a long way (maybe even till the end) that they had to do everything themselves.

Only the best teachers will use methods such as this. Why? Because most university teachers have no pedagogical background that allows them to pick and chose methods such as this one. so they just rely on a common 'how to be popular at a family party' routine. They smile and try to make everyone comfortable etc. They are affraid to move and really provoke the students because that will not result in high popularity marks (student evaluations).

Imagine that 18 year olds had to mark their parents on their 'quality of parenting' monthly. When would the parents get the highest marks: when saying "drink your milk and go to bed early" or when saying "do you want more Coca Cola? or do you want to watch the Simpsons in front of the TV with a big bowl of chips?"

The ranking in this tread is a popularity ranking that is a very dangerous deroute for good teaching because it takes away the pedagogical freedom to do what is best for the students even if it may hurt a little. Real learning is a process and far from always pain-less.

Imo. go for a university that has researchers that made the theories and wrote the books. They will move you in that direction - it may hurt, but you will learn (professional teaching evaluations made by pedagogical professionals should assure that instead of student popularity contests) instead of going to a university with parrots that just repeat the essence of other people's findings - albeit kind and popular parrots.

Insightful. But im with the above comment. What uni did u say u attend?

LucaWell

HSC
I am senior consultant for an international company - currently located in Hong Kong. I have a Masters in Commerce from Uni Melbourne and have been tutoring for four semesters while I was studying. Meanwhile I took a diploma in tertiary teaching considering being an academic. In the end there was not quite enough money in that carreer.

But - why would it be important which uni I graduated from?

The intention of my previous post is clear from reading it so please just take what I said without trying to find conspiracies or other hidden messages in it.

:)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You mispelt common words and your grammar is questionable

And you say you wanted to be an academic let alone someone who holds a masters?

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
You wouldn't question him if you knew anything about the international cohort's English standards.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)