Australia's Obesity Epidemic (1 Viewer)

K

katie_tully

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/driven-to-be-fat/2008/01/28/1201369038290.html

In Windsor yesterday, where some of NSW's fattest city dwellers live, poor public transport was blamed for the obesity problem.
That is hilarious. Who gets fat from a lack of public transport. Wouldn't that make you walk more?

When will people take responsibility for their own weight management!

(EDIT: This isn't a bash fatty thread, there is already one of those. This is where we're all going to discuss nicely what the best strategy for attacking obesity is) :)

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
katie tully said:
Wouldn't that make you walk more?
Ehm, no? Cause you drive everywhere and don't walk up the street to the bus stop, you don't stand on the bus, you don't walk from the bus stop to work and do it all over again blah blah blah.

Surely you can't ignore the correlation between lack of public transport and teh fatt!?

K

katie_tully

Nebuchanezzar said:
Ehm, no? Cause you drive everywhere and don't walk up the street to the bus stop, you don't stand on the bus, you don't walk from the bus stop to work and do it all over again blah blah blah.

Surely you can't ignore the correlation between lack of public transport and teh fatt!?
I understand that if you're lazy you're going to drive somewhere anyway, regardless of whether there is a bus stop 200 metres up the road. I just found it amazing people could blame a lack of public transport for their morbid obesity.

I would have assumed you'd just walk that extra few hundred metres to the bus stop/train station. OH GOD I'M BEING SO SIMPLISTIC AND UNREALISTIC AGAIN.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
yes you are.

my guess is that it was a snowball effect. people who drive everywhere end up hating walking anywhere, blah blah blah, on and on it goes until they're like, 5 ft tall and weigh 300kg. but HEY, maybe i'm wrong.

K

katie_tully

Nebuchanezzar said:
yes you are.

my guess is that it was a snowball effect. people who drive everywhere end up hating walking anywhere, blah blah blah, on and on it goes until they're like, 5 ft tall and weigh 300kg. but HEY, maybe i'm wrong.
I don't think there is a correlation between public transport availability and weight. I think that is just a weak excuse.
The North Shore had the lowest incidence of obesity/overweight adults out of all the suburbs studied, and Windsor/Hawkesbury had the highest. That indicates to me that there is more of a correlation between education/socioeconomic status and weight.

banco55

HSC
I agree about the correlation between obesity and socio-economic status. I would favour having fatties being charged higher amounts for private health insurance. You could make it "opt-in" so if you wanted a reduction in your private health insurance a nurse could certify every 12 months that your waist is within the healty range.

Oh and have schools do fitness tests of kids and put on their report cards just how fit/unfit and fat they are so their parents can't say they weren't told.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Hmmm, if there's a correlation between obesity and socio-economic status, then perhaps we ought to re-distribute wealth evenly so that our populations health comes into line. :D

banco55

HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Hmmm, if there's a correlation between obesity and socio-economic status, then perhaps we ought to re-distribute wealth evenly so that our populations health comes into line. :D

It seems more cultural then economic per se. I'd venture to say there is much more of a stigma to being overweight among people on the north shore.

K

katie_tully

Hilarious, our generation will be the first to die before their parents. Obesity related diseases are preventable, it's all freakin lifestyle related which is what makes me shake my fist. Angrily.

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
sXcGuRl69aU said:
fuck the fat
Fuck you slut bitch mother fucker.

Anywayz back on topic, how would a fitness test conducted by the teachers help the student in any way?

Im pretty sure a parent knows that his/her child is Obese or overweight.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
You assume too much about bogans if you think that

a lot of them are probably completely unaware that:

- eating too much and being fat slobs makes them obese
- being obese is bad for you

i mean, they can hear it on tv and all that, but it doesn't really register, no self awareness sort of thing

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Should I actually care that these people have absolutely no self-control that they cram their faces with food like there's no tomorrow and then don't exercise? They're all nutritionally ignorant morons, too; the last time they read something relating to their health or not would be two years ago with a "Picture" magazine.

The only problem I have with that shit is the taxpayer has to foot the bill for their revolting behaviour down the line (also having to look at their balloon bodies on the street is gross too, lose some weight you fat fucks).

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
jb_nc said:
Should I actually care that these people have absolutely no self-control that they cram their faces with food like there's no tomorrow and then don't exercise? They're all nutritionally ignorant morons, too; the last time they read something relating to their health or not would be two years ago with a "Picture" magazine.

The only problem I have with that shit is the taxpayer has to foot the bill for their revolting behaviour down the line (also having to look at their balloon bodies on the street is gross too, lose some weight you fat fucks).
Privatise healthcare, yo :D

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
Captain Gh3y said:
Privatise healthcare, yo :D
In reality no one that's morbidly obese would have private healthcare, because I don't think someone that's smart enough to take out full-hospital cover would let themselves get fat enough to need surgery in the first place.

K

katie_tully

jb_nc said:

I think we should care because it's going to be a massive drain on our already shit health care system. I mean they're putting gastric bypass surgery on medicare ffs.

I lol @ the 'privatise' health care option. I know a lot of fat people with private health care, so in reality all thats going to happen is both systems will be clogged.

I also think letting your child become obese is tantamount to child abuse. I am sickened by the number of kids in Parkes alone who have type II diabetes, their parents need to be stoned.

K

katie_tully

jb_nc said:
In reality no one that's morbidly obese would have private healthcare, because I don't think someone that's smart enough to take out full-hospital cover would let themselves get fat enough to need surgery in the first place.
Over half of Australian adults are overweight or obese. As if the half that aren't fat are the only ones with private healthcare.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
katie_tully said:
Over half of Australian adults are overweight or obese. As if the half that aren't fat are the only ones with private healthcare.
"Private healthcare" means a lot of things. It doesn't necessarily mean full cover pertaining to operations that the public system can perform. Notice I said "full-hospital cover" as in absolutely no deductible/added fees, et cetera.

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
The Lord Created Me In Order To Save The Species, For I Cannot Gain Weight. I am the Evolutionary Prototype.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)