• auto. im a female

Votes: 21 14.8%
  • manual. im a female

Votes: 22 15.5%

• Total voters

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
I learned to drive manuals long before I was sixteen and I just love them. I find autos boring and I am one of those people who slams his foot into the floor and reaches for the gear stick (even though there isn't one) when I'm stopping.

For anyone with an auto licence you can drive a manual once you're on your greens (but that doesn't mean you actually know how to drive a manual).

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
I don't see why people need to "learn" to drive a manual? It should only take about 3-4 hours to pretty much be able to drive a manual on the road. The hardest bit is moving off from a stand still, and thats not even that hard. Seriously, listen up, gently put pressure on the accelerator bringing up the revs, and SLOWLY take your foot off the clutch in a uniform motion....there you go, you can drive a manual.

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
It think it takes more than 3 hours (It took me more than 3 hours, at least). I mean, it's not just starting. It's changing whilst driving, gearstick-clutch-steering coordination when turning, even stopping

DaddyK

Is out drifting
HSC
Those should be very easy things to overcome. Putting your foot on a pedal and moving a stick to the appropriate gear? hmmm i can see why thats so difficult. Sure you might be a bit shitty and you might stall it a good couple of hundred times but the basics should only take you a few hours to be able to do them well enough to drive on the road.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I think it might be weird if you're hooked on auto... I mean, I'm used to my car never rolling backwards on a slope at say a traffic lights (between when you lift foot off brake and go to accelerate) but I think in a manual, the car rolls a bit more doesn't it?.. but then with a bit of practice I'm sure one could get used to it.

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
petar13 said:
It think it takes more than 3 hours (It took me more than 3 hours, at least). I mean, it's not just starting. It's changing whilst driving, gearstick-clutch-steering coordination when turning, even stopping
when i got my greens my dad taught me manual in about an hour. if that. just the basics, then i was on the road. i had no experience beforehand of manual driving, nor had i any knowledge of how a manual works.

but like DaddyK said, its piss easy. anyone who cannot grasp the concept of driving a manual within a few hours shouldnt be driving at all.

Pace_T

HSC
Shell said:
when i got my greens my dad taught me manual in about an hour. if that. just the basics, then i was on the road. i had no experience beforehand of manual driving, nor had i any knowledge of how a manual works.

but like DaddyK said, its piss easy. anyone who cannot grasp the concept of driving a manual within a few hours shouldnt be driving at all.
haa yea that reminds me wen i first learnt it was in my cousins magna. i was driving manual first time and in about 5 mins i was driving around the quiet streets but it was reealllllllllly bumpy lolol. it was hard 2 focus wen there were about 4 other ppl in the car going "frash it bro frash it" n im like "aaaaahhh u change the gear i duno how to!!!!!" after that i finaly decided to just get driving instructor lol

i think that auto is for chicks and manual is for guys. i duno y. its wat all my friends think as well

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
seremify007 said:
Haha I thought you meant you switched to CVT hybrid (ie. hybrid cars using CVT transmission).
lol that is why i elaborated.

daddyk, many people will shit their pants if they crunch their gearbox. and knowing that someone is going to think that it means biting on their gearbox, it means not pushing the gearstick in far enough and the sound that comes next somewhat resembles an angle grinder. it has happened quite a few times-for some reason mostly when changing into third- and when there are passengers they are like "what was that? :worried: and im like "nothing, its just the gearbox." maybe next time i should tell them that the gear stick broke with a horrified look on my face and see what they do :worried:.

but i guess i wont get a chance, since most of the occurences are when i am racing. stupid double shift gearbox*...

(* word i just invented for gearboxes that let you "feel" the gearstick move through two phases, the first being crunch zone and the second being gear zone. to know what i mean watch the fast and the furious and listen to when they change gears. you CAN hear both stages)

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
seremify007 said:
I think it might be weird if you're hooked on auto... I mean, I'm used to my car never rolling backwards on a slope at say a traffic lights (between when you lift foot off brake and go to accelerate) but I think in a manual, the car rolls a bit more doesn't it?.. but then with a bit of practice I'm sure one could get used to it.
Yeah the automatic has a tendency to continuously move forward as opposed to a manual where you will roll back if you screw up a hill start/handbreak start.
I learn hillstarts easily, if you can do a normal start in a manual, you'll be able to do hillstarts/handbreak starts easily. :) Well thats how it works for me anyway. Manual all the way I think

Pace_T said:
i think that auto is for chicks and manual is for guys. i duno y. its wat all my friends think as well
Hehehe, I could never drive an auto. Manual all the way baby!

veterandoggy said:
lol that is why i elaborated.

daddyk, many people will shit their pants if they crunch their gearbox. and knowing that someone is going to think that it means biting on their gearbox, it means not pushing the gearstick in far enough and the sound that comes next somewhat resembles an angle grinder. it has happened quite a few times-for some reason mostly when changing into third- and when there are passengers they are like "what was that? :worried: and im like "nothing, its just the gearbox." maybe next time i should tell them that the gear stick broke with a horrified look on my face and see what they do :worried:.
Hahaha yeah the sound is awful!! Though i've only done that when shifting it into reverse...ouch...oh well :)

transcendent

HSC
N/A
Understanding manual driving doesn't mean you know how to drive manual. I've tried a friend's Civic once and I 'know' how to drive a manual but with only 5 minutes practise does not make me competent. Do you really want someone to be stalling 100 times in front of you? No, didn't think so.

I'm inclined to think manuals are less safe. I'm always scoping the speedo and the rear view mirror when driving so I constantly monitor traffic. About 90% of my attention is focused on driving. I enjoy driving in my AUTO because I traffic jump all the slow drivers. I also really hate people who drive manuals and everytime they shift their car slows down then picks up speed again, makes me want to ram their car off the road, but I overtake them instead.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Btw how do you 'break your clutch'? My cousin had to keep replacing his clutch and I couldn't figure out what they meant by break it... is that like when you stomp so hard you snap the pedal off or something? o_O

HSC
lol. wtf
never heard of 'breaking' the clutch. only the wearing of the clutch...
maybe your cousins are constantly launching hard, which will wear the clutch out faster than usual. or they might constantly be 'dropping' the clutch to get some spin from the tyres

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
DaddyK said:
Those should be very easy things to overcome. Putting your foot on a pedal and moving a stick to the appropriate gear? hmmm i can see why thats so difficult. Sure you might be a bit shitty and you might stall it a good couple of hundred times but the basics should only take you a few hours to be able to do them well enough to drive on the road.

Any idiot can drive on the road (take me for example:) ), but to be fully able to drive a manual you have to be able to do it fluently in all sorts of conditions and no when to change gears, etc.

Jiga

I'm inclined to think manuals are less safe. I'm always scoping the speedo and the rear view mirror when driving so I constantly monitor traffic. About 90% of my attention is focused on driving. I enjoy driving in my AUTO because I traffic jump all the slow drivers. I also really hate people who drive manuals and everytime they shift their car slows down then picks up speed again, makes me want to ram their car off the road, but I overtake them instead.
True to the letter :uhhuh:

This is how I personally view the use of manuals and auto's in cars, if you dont fit the category I think its pointless.... like having a manual in a shitbox small sedan or having an auto Lamborghini!! :

Performance Cars = Manual

Sporty Sedans = Semi-Auto

Family car or less = Auto

And after a while you get sick of manual anyway, my dad drove manual for like 20 years and never tried auto, as soon as he did..... doesnt buy manuals anymore!!! Autos are alot more pleasant to drive, so unless your fuly sik and need to do burnouts everywhere or are hardcore trying to drive your 70kw civic like a 300kw Clubsport, it is all you need.

DaddyK

Is out drifting
HSC
Enlightened_One said:
Any idiot can drive on the road (take me for example:) ), but to be fully able to drive a manual you have to be able to do it fluently in all sorts of conditions and no when to change gears, etc.
thats what my post sais...maybe you should read a bit harder.

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
transcendent said:
Understanding manual driving doesn't mean you know how to drive manual. I've tried a friend's Civic once and I 'know' how to drive a manual but with only 5 minutes practise does not make me competent. Do you really want someone to be stalling 100 times in front of you? No, didn't think so.

i wouldnt be too sure about the overtaking part. try revving it next to a v-tech integra (in neutral of course ;)) and try overtaking them as they change gears. the car doesnt go slower mate, it just loses the extra acceleration for a few seconds, cos when i change from first to second the needle is still moving up. i find my manual car more dangerous than my auto corolla only because the tyres are a little over-inflated, and it feels like i am driving on ice with my car raised instead of lowered. but then again, it is that which gets the wheels squealing :rolleyes:

seremify007 said:
Btw how do you 'break your clutch'? My cousin had to keep replacing his clutch and I couldn't figure out what they meant by break it... is that like when you stomp so hard you snap the pedal off or something? o_O
lol that would be breaking the pedal. the only way he could damage the clutch is if he revs it too much while pressing clutch (ie before burnouts) and if he 'slips' the clutch on hills instead of pressing the brakes (half pressing the clutch will make the car lurch forward slightly, depending on how far you have pressed it.) people think that it stops their brakes from wearing out, when in fact the brakes cant wear out when you are not moving, and they are damaging their clutch.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Ahh... I'm not really sure on the details- I just know he said the Evo clutch kept breaking and needing to be replaced. As for the brakes... in an automatic, don't the brakes get worn out if you're holding them and the car is in Drive?

HSC
wtf. how can brakes get worn when the cars not moving? :confused:
take for example...youre on a push bike, and youre on a hill. you hold the brakes so your bike doesnt move...does it wear out your brakes?.
no.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
ToO LaZy ^* said:
wtf. how can brakes get worn when the cars not moving? :confused:
take for example...youre on a push bike, and youre on a hill. you hold the brakes so your bike doesnt move...does it wear out your brakes?.
no.
In an automatic, as long as the car is in Drive, the car is trying to move forward isn't it? .. and thus, the brakes are holding the car back (ie. in use) in which case they are being worn isn't it?... that is my understanding of what 'worn' means when it comes to brakes. I'd respond to your analogy about push bikes but I don't really know how the brakes work in a push-bike; but I'm inclined to think the gravity would pull the bike downwards, the wheels would then be inclined to turn, but because the brakes are holding them, the wheels won't turn- in which case the force from the brake holding onto the wheel goes against the force of gravity?... that's just my guess; like I said, I don't really know how the brakes work in a push bike and just assumed it's similar to a car... Sorry for lack of paragraphs, I am using Firefox today and no matter how I try (and edit it), I can't seem to get it to take a new line. Do I need to use BR or something?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)