Votes: 21 14.8%
  • manual. im a female

Votes: 22 15.5%

• Total voters

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
i saw one on front of uni prolly last week, they had been RBTing from about 8/9am to friggen 4pm!!

i reckon it took them that long to make their quota of fines

(heh, yeah this is one month down the board, but i had subscribed to it about 6 months ago, and couldnt help being a slight pain. i miss these boards, what else can i say?)

macoboi

HSC
Male. manual.

Just happened to be what i bought when i bought a car. mums is manual, and i learnt in that, dads has tiptronic gears. Though, a couple of the work cars are manual, and i drive them fairly often. I'm not fussed over which i drive, though i prefer driving my car, so i guess i prefer manual.

Monz

HSC
Female, drive manual, and prefer manual.

More control, i can pick up and slow down quicker, i feel out of control when i drive an auto and i'm always reaching for the clutch and the gear stick. Personally it's awesome for me cause i live in a rural area.

I can push the revs higher to get the car up the hill quicker...although it's a bitch when the person in front of slows down because their auto is having trouble finding out what gear it should be in to get up the hill.

I used to drive an hour each way to school everyday, and driving manual in bumper to bumper traffic isn't that big a deal, it's just automatic actions with gear changes, but i think it's what really keeps me awake when i'm driving late at night, which i do fairly often. I think that's the reason my mum prefers me driving manual too.

Anywho...so can you not skip gears in any tiptronics? Cause my bf was going to buy his bosses cause i prefer manual and he prefers auto (kida role reversal, lol) but if you can't skip gears that's a biatch cause i do that fairly often, he may as well just buy an auto...

Jiga

I can push the revs higher to get the car up the hill quicker...although it's a bitch when the person in front of slows down because their auto is having trouble finding out what gear it should be in to get up the hill.
Lol I dont think Autos have anything to do with it... I have a 14 year old auto (albeit a Toyota which have decent transmissions) and there is no trouble going up hills, now my car is a 3L V6, but then Ive never had troubles in my mums 1.6L Suzuki either... all you have to do it accelerate alittle more until it kicks up a gear (on my cars its very predictable) or turn overdrive off so it revs higher or put the car into a lower range = more pulling power :wave:

Last edited by a moderator:

CieL

HSC
Monz said:
Anywho...so can you not skip gears in any tiptronics?
Unfortunately, no.

There's only a + or a - , so you'd have to go through two sets of "-" to skip a gear...

cl3nta

HSC
nearly got my P's for auto. I want to do manual but the only car I had available to prac on was auto. When is the earliest I can get my license for man?

Zozo6969

HSC
From my experiences with driving, I've noticed that a person that has never driven a manual in their life will just slam the throttle and then slam the brake wherever they go, always having their foot on at least one of the pedals.
However, of all the manual drivers ive seen driving auto, they will just ease the throttle on like what they do in manual, which is much safer. Manual cars also take pressure off the brakes as they can do compression braking (engine braking) and also use the compression lock on the synchros to slow the car down. a manual driver even uses less of the brakes in auto cars. Eg, a friend learnt to drive in her late 20s, and is now early 40s, needs to get new brakes every 10,000-15000 kays, while average brake pad life is around 30,000-35,000 kays. on the other hand, on our auto, which all the drivers know how to drive manual, will be up to 60,000 before it needs its first set of new pads.

Many say that it is much easier to abuse manual transmissions, but i beg to differ. a person driving a manual knows how to drive a manual, correct? and what are the only few ways of damaging manuals? Clutchless changes, riding the clutch, and lifting the clutch up too early which forces the synchros to do more work than it should. a person that can drive manual will do none of this. the only thing a manual driver will do, is maybe pick reverse when the car is moving, which you cant do (you can pick 1st or whatever forward gear you like when the car is moving, even backwards). on the other hand, an auto driver can destroy an auto box by changing the stick when the car isnt stopped, changing when the car isnt idling, loading up the torque converter for hill starts (feet on both pedals) and some others, eventually destroying the transaxle and everything else in there.
Also, because there is so many more parts that make up an auto, they will break easeir than manuals. also, you can push start manuals, but not autos.

i personally believe that every driver on the road should no how to drive manual regardless, who knows when they might actually need to drive one (eg emergency)

j_davo24

HSC
Monz said:
i think it's what really keeps me awake when i'm driving late at night, which i do fairly often
I think it definitely gives you something to concentrate on late at night when theres nothing else to do. I've never driven an Auto, will for the first time soon as we're taking my gf's car away and thats Auto, I have a feeling im going to be trying to rip the T-bar out. Lol.

Going back to what someone said about only using manuals in sports or high powered cars (I think it was Schoolies), I partially disagree. I've been in a '73 Corolla with a 2 speed auto box and that was the most rediculous gearbox you could ever put in a low powered car. The engine has nowhere near the torque to pull it along comfortably with the ratios in the box.

Granted it's old technology but having the shorter ratios (on 1st and 2nd especially) that generally come with manual boxes definitely makes the car feel responsive. There still isnt blistering acceleration or anything but its much better than the auto boxes IMO.

CieL

HSC
cl3nta said:
nearly got my P's for auto. I want to do manual but the only car I had available to prac on was auto. When is the earliest I can get my license for man?
Girl, WTF are you talking about?

"nearly" got your Ps for auto?
Does that mean you still have awhile till you turn 17 (or whatever), or you failed your DART?

If you can't drive manual at all, and you won't be learning manual anytime soon, just go for you red Ps on auto.. wait a year, and when you get your green Ps, you'll be legitimate to drive a manual anyway, so you can learn then or later.. You don't need to pass an auto test and then a manual test to legally drive a manual.

I think you might want to check out the RTA website or something for more info on licencing.. I seriously thought everyone knew this shit..

*Lozzie*

HSC
im in an auto (my parants car) Rinnni keeps telling me shes going to teach me how to drive a manual ---- that will be interesting

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)