average student, want first in course award? want media attention? here's how! (1 Viewer)

samantha.rose

Samantha Rose
HSC
okay so, nobody really knows about the course i got first in. human services - health services assistance.
it allows you to work as an AIN in a hospital or as a carer in an aged care setting. good part time work if you like making beds and hearing old people stories.
very easy exam paper, which i thought was a complete joke. i felt very out of place at the ceremony because i'm an average/slightly above average student, and everyone there (except the native hungarian first in hungarian who sat next to me) had worked extremely hard. i didn't. i didn't take a notebook to class. we had big folders given to us by TAFE - i left mine in my car most lessons. the exam was essentially a first aid paper + some OH&S that can be learnt in a week. so, if you want to be misquoted in 5 odd newspapers/articles and glorified by your school/family, this is the course for you! there is literally no competition, because the academically inclined students wouldn't risk their ATAR on a course with no past papers (one past paper now), and no actual teachers - only nurses.

also - you get to be on the excel success one cover! personally for me this is the greatest part.

and for those who want to get into medicine one day but already know there is no way they'll get the high atar + umat score, the nursing course has a nice fat section on medical terminology (the only part i studied which isn't even in the god damned exam), which could be useful :) it's like practising the naming of anatomy and procedures and such. -ectomy -otomy -scopy TRULY RIVETING STUFF. one more thing for prospective med students, there is a hospital work placement so you'll get a taste of what it's actually like to work in that environment. i had the pleasure of shadowing a radiologist on one of my placements which was the coolest thing ever. but for the most part, fuck being a doctor. the guy was like 33 and had only just finished his training. you only get one set of 20s!

anyway. enough rant. want a good chance of being first in a course? nursing (human services) is the way to go!

enak101

HSC
haha, when I read the list for first in all of the different courses I thought some of them sounded odd. Do you know how many kids in the state did that subject?

planino

HSC
Hospital placement? This makes the Category A courses seem quite dry now. At least some excursions would be good.
Entertaining read btw :)

samantha.rose

Samantha Rose
HSC
haha, when I read the list for first in all of the different courses I thought some of them sounded odd. Do you know how many kids in the state did that subject?
not yet but i will find out soon :) i'd be surprised if more than 50 people sat the test. very surprised.

samantha.rose

Samantha Rose
HSC
Hospital placement? This makes the Category A courses seem quite dry now. At least some excursions would be good.
Entertaining read btw :)
haha thanks!
god, if i could do my hsc again, i wouldn't have done year 11 physics or ext 1 math. i would've milked the opportunity to do languages for free. now that i'm craving to learn new languages, i'm gonna have to pay a few grand at uni or take some adult class... ugh!
good luck with your hsc :)

ahdil33

HSC
haha thanks!
god, if i could do my hsc again, i wouldn't have done year 11 physics or ext 1 math. i would've milked the opportunity to do languages for free. now that i'm craving to learn new languages, i'm gonna have to pay a few grand at uni or take some adult class... ugh!
good luck with your hsc :)
http://www.fluentin3months.com/

Don't think it necessarily needs to require you to study at uni. But I don't know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)