B Education Degree at UTS,USYD,UNSW (1 Viewer)

conics2008

HSC
Hey what is this degree like. I would like to do one at UTS and major in maths, but the prob is, what about the job. I've heard that on school holidays you have to find another job, because you wont get paid during school holidays etc.

Can you help me with some advice as Im still considering which course shall I put down for my preference.

For those who already are doing this degree currently can you tell me how is it like.

Thank you for your time. By the way dont worry about the scholarship, Im thinking of applying for one of them. Thanks once again.

mishka

HSC
N/A
Interesting, because I have a DET scholarship and I don't see it as "selling 3 years of my life."

I see it as a wonderful opportunity to grow professionally, personally and teach students who deserve the highest quality education.

To the thread starter, I'll still say - do your research before going into these types of things. Know what you're getting yourself into before you sign. As for the job, permanent teachers get paid through the holidays (but that is because you will have work to do!)

ACU has a reputable course in BT/BA (Mathematics) that lets your get your teaching degree and major in Maths at the same time. There is a 10 week internship in the final year and you get to build skills in both degrees at the same time.

conics2008

HSC
guys... its just one of my career choice.. It sound intresting B education.. i like maths and i woudn't mind teaching it....

ill go for the scholarship.. so guys do teachers get paid during school holidays or nope in short and simple terms.. because i think i lost you guys when you were discussing " places "

one more thing.. I would like to work in a good school that means high rankin school... not just any cheap school " cathloic preferred "

HSC
conics2008 said:
guys... its just one of my career choice.. It sound intresting B education.. i like maths and i woudn't mind teaching it....

ill go for the scholarship.. so guys do teachers get paid during school holidays or nope in short and simple terms.. because i think i lost you guys when you were discussing " places "

one more thing.. I would like to work in a good school that means high rankin school... not just any cheap school " cathloic preferred "
teachers get paid a salary, and so no matter what, you will earn X ammount of money per year. So yes, you do get paid during the holidays. ;)

mishka

HSC
N/A
The Catholic system is managed by the CEO (Catholic Education Office) of the diocese in which the school is placed. In Sydney and metropolitan areas you have the Sydney CEO, Parramatta, Broken Bay and Wollongong.

The difference with employment in Catholic schools is that there is no centralised employment base, the schools interview and manage their own positions, but you are employed by the relevant CEO. Positions that come up are advertised on the relevant CEO's website.

Can I also point out that you can specify staffing areas and even specific schools if you apply to public schools (DET). If you are deemed exemplary in your prac reports, interview and results you can become a 'targeted graduate' but that will depend a lot on the limits you place on your location choices. Obviously the more areas you are willing to go, the more likely you will land a position.

Different people have different opinions about what teaching should entail, and that's fine, but you have to be prepared for the 'extra' stuff that they don't always cover in detail at uni.

conics2008

HSC
Thanks Mishka and Iruka =]

You helped me understand abit more about B Education =]

Thanks once again....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)