B Medical science vs B Science (adv) (1 Viewer)

HKspec009

HSC
My atar was higher than what i expected and made it into medical science usyd (my mark is above the cut-off)
However, because of the FLEXIBLE ENTRY PATHWAY, i can also make it into science (adv).
What do you guys think is a better option considering i want to go onto post grad dent or med.
Also, what is the difference between the courses in terms of what is taught (not sure if it is similar or not)

post script- I did not do physics in yr 12 and thought med sci would be better since i can choose a unit of psychology instead.

BTW not asian or indian LOL

Last edited:

Synchronised

HSC
wrong

-

pick what will interest you more

e.g. if you only want to do med for prestige or asian parents and are more interested in other things you can pick those subjects

sci (adv) is much more flexible
Assuming he wants to do med, not his parents forcing him, med science would be more beneficial when he does the actual med degree later.

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
What do you guys think is a better option considering i want to go onto post grad dent or med.
Both Adv Science and Med Science are suitable for Graduate Med/Dent preparation. If you choose Adv Science, you need to pick subjects that will give you a good background for preparation of the GAMSAT. You should also look at what subjects Med Science students have to go and pick the ones you are interested in if you decide to go for Adv Science, and make up the rest with subjects you like best that are not available for Med Science students (e.g. zoology, plant sciences, geology, higher levels of maths/physics/chemistry etc).

Also, what is the difference between the courses in terms of what is taught (not sure if it is similar or not)
Not difference at all if a student from Adv Science and a student from Med Science pick the same subjects. They will be taught in the same lecture, tutorial and lab.

I did not do physics in yr 12 and thought med sci would be better since i can choose a unit of psychology instead.
That's fine.

HKspec009

HSC
appreciate it Survivor39 and the rest
I'll most likely pick anatomy&histology as my first major and as my second, maybe biochemistry (not sure yet), what are your thoughts on best majors to choose that will help me the most in preparation for gamsat and for the post grad degree.
Also, is it hard to maintain a GPA of 5.5 (7.0 scale).

forgot to ask, can you apply for both medicine and dentistry in one go as i don't mind either way?

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I'll most likely pick anatomy&histology as my first major and as my second, maybe biochemistry (not sure yet), what are your thoughts on best majors to choose that will help me the most in preparation for gamsat and for the post grad degree. Also, is it hard to maintain a GPA of 5.5 (7.0 scale).
GAMSAT only requires a good understanding of first year biology, chemistry and physics. So any of the majors offered by uni would require you to do those basic science courses (so you pretty much have the GAMSAT covered once you've completed your first year of uni!). The major/s you pick should reflect your interests so you will do well in them. I majored in microbiology and immunology because I was good at this sort of stuff and was interested in the subjects.

USyd sciences do not generally use GPA. but that sounds like a credit average which is not too difficult to acheive. Study consistently (there are a lot of materials to learn) and you will get at least a credit average.

forgot to ask, can you apply for both medicine and dentistry in one go as i don't mind either way?
Yes. You can apply to USyd grad Med and Dent programs at the same time. Grad Med entry is more competitive than Grad Dent.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
wrong

-

pick what will interest you more

e.g. if you only want to do med for prestige or asian parents and are more interested in other things you can pick those subjects

sci (adv) is much more flexible
This.

Also, MedSc units in second year scale down like a bitch!

Assuming he wants to do med, not his parents forcing him, med science would be more beneficial when he does the actual med degree later.
probably not really.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
If the units in the second year scale down alot for medical science, does it mean that you get lower grades that won't favour for your transfer into med or dent?
And I heard that medical science prepares you for med, not so sure abt science adv! :/
So if ppl were to choose between Medical Science Advanced and Science Adv. What would they choose? and Why?
I know that Riproot is a firm supporter of Science Adv. over Medical Science Adv? Wht do the others think?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
If the units in the second year scale down alot for medical science, does it mean that you get lower grades that won't favour for your transfer into med or dent?
And I heard that medical science prepares you for med, not so sure abt science adv! :/
So if ppl were to choose between Medical Science Advanced and Science Adv. What would they choose? and Why?
I know that Riproot is a firm supporter of Science Adv. over Medical Science Adv? Wht do the others think?
yes.
Look, you don't need to prepare that much. As long as you do first year chem, bio, molecular bio, genetics, and have knowledge of HSC physics and basic maths you should be good.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
yes.
Look, you don't need to prepare that much. As long as you do first year chem, bio, molecular bio, genetics, and have knowledge of HSC physics and basic maths you should be good.
ohk. lol I didn't do HSC physics.
Does this mean m gona suffer and should go with medical science instead?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
ohk. lol I didn't do HSC physics.
Does this mean m gona suffer and should go with medical science instead?
I didn't either.

Just go over the shit yourself or just go over it when you study for gamsat.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
I didn't either.

Just go over the shit yourself or just go over it when you study for gamsat.
You didn't do physics and are currently doing engineering at usyd. Wow thats a big achievement itself!

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
You didn't do physics and are currently doing engineering at usyd. Wow thats a big achievement itself!
no it's not. Lol

You can do fundamental physics in sem 1
I wouldn't recommend doing regular unless you did physics in high school or you get an ATAR upwards of 90.
If you get an ATAR above 96 you can do advanced by they advise against it if you haven't done physics.

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
I was talking to my sister earlier, she just graduated with a medical science degree. Quite a few of her second and third year subjects scaled down from raw mid-80's+ to credits and low distinctions.

Getting a credit average probably won't be that difficult regardless of what degree you attempt, provided you invest at least a bit of effort.

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC
Tbh do what you want or what you think you'll enjoy i believe it's been noted that in post graduate degrees for dent and med at usyd. they emphasise having a med sci or pharm background is good but not always the best, from memory they are interested in variety so for all they care you could of come from a music degree

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I agree with golgo13. On the other hand, if you don't enjoy biology/medical related stuff offered by BMedSc or BAdv Sc, you probably won't want to do Grad Med or Dent, right? So by choosing BMedSc or BAdv Sc you clearly show some form of interest in the study of medicine and dentistry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)