B.psych or b.commerce/science? (1 Viewer)

dotslikeme

HSC
Hi guys,
I am currently enrolled in b.psych in unsw and just completed my first year.
I was thinking if i should move to b commerce and b science instead and major in psychology and hrm.
In b. psych first year, we have to take up quite a few electives and i have taken both econs and mgmt courses and I'm interested in them. However, i really love psychology (doing well in it so far, overall wan: 83.6) and wanna be a registered psychologist and hence, i will want to take hons in the future.

So my question is: is it easier to get into honours in b. psych as compared to b. commerce/science? And do you think i should transfer to commerce/science?

I also think it is a waste of money and time if i have to do so many electives in b psych. Instead, i could use these electives for b commerce subjects and awarded double degree... If you know what i mean.

dotslikeme

HSC
Oh, i also forget to mention that another reason i wanna move to commerce/science is so that i still have my commerce degree if i failed to get into psych hons (i heard its very competitive)..

ag12

HSC
N/A
Makes no difference which degree you came through wrt getting into Honours at UNSW - you just need to have an average >75 in Psych subjects across years 1-3. So move to Commerce/Science if that suits.

Tim035

HSC
Do Comm/Sci, keep your WAM competitive and look to get in to an intern in the HR division at a firm next summer. Not only will this help you decide if it's a career you would like to pursue compared to being a psychologist, it will often lead to a grad job and will likely prevent you having to do what a lot of HRM majors end up doing- working for a recruitment company.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
I do com/sc with those exact majors and yes I recommend it. You'll still be doing the same psych units. But if you definitely want to be a ?psychologist I don't really see the point

dotslikeme

HSC
thanks so much for your replies guys :)
so, if I move to comm/sci, i will still be able to get into psych honours if the average of my psych results is above 75 right?
The b.psych students are not prioritized to get into honours over comm/sci students if we have the same results right?

thanks again :)

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
At my uni (sydney) I thought psych students get priority but dont quote me on that

ag12

HSC
N/A
No prioritization for different degrees for entry into Psych Hons at UNSW - it's just the mark you get in PSYCH subjects across L1-3 (>75 and you're in)

dotslikeme

HSC
thank you guys so much. This make me want to transfer to science/commerce :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)