BA (Acting for screen and stage) (1 Viewer)

SpoonSamba

HSC
hey guys,

my careers counsellor recommended this course to me cos i wanna be an actor

but i had never heard of it before or of anyone going there or anything

anyone here doing this course or know anyone who does? How effective is it? Does it improve your chances in the acting business? Recommended?

bassistx

HSC
Oh no, don't do a BA, you'll never get a job!
</sarcasm>

What about NIDA and acting colleges etc?

SpoonSamba

HSC
well yeh theres acting colleges and stuff i'm just trying to look at everything thats out there. And NIDA i haev issues with like if u get in the 3 yr full time course then its worth it for the prestige but apart from that i dnt think ist that great cos all the nida actors ive seen in theatre and stuff andive seen a lot are generally shit... they all act liek hello look at me im acting! yeh it annoys me, i'll keep researching

but ru saying that the BA is not recommended?? the sarcasm thing is confusing me

Matt Samson

HSC
bassistx said:
Oh no, don't do a BA, you'll never get a job!
</sarcasm>

What about NIDA and acting colleges etc?
What a stupid thing to say.

A straight bachelor of arts might not get you a job, but one with a specific major will.

HSC
It depends what avenue you want to take as an actor.

If you want to get straight onto screen, get yourself an agent and get as many possible castings as you possibly can. Even if u dont get cast for anything, your gettin experience and your face known.

DONT QUIT YOUR DAY JOB
No matter how good you think you are, or if you get cast for something, acting just does not pay high enough to live off. Until you are a well-known, respected actor that gets cast regularly, you need to work part-time somewhere. I know the whole motto of "singleminded determination" to succeed as an actor, but that doesnt pay the bills and petrol etc.

Start with theatre. All actors who become successful for their talent (not because they sell the show/ product with gorgeous looks) work in theatre. If you dont make audition for a reputable company, work in amateur or community theatre. Get experience. If you can afford it, apply for courses wherever you can. Choose ones that involve useful infomation, as well as ones that interest you. Research the facility before you apply for a course. Dont settle for dodgy education.

Unless your an exploited child actor or a Hilton, you are not going to be able to walk into a casting directors audition and get the role instantly.
Dont get discouraged if your turned down frequently. Think about it: That is a comment on your CURRENT ability. You can always improve. Take more classes, work more in your free time at techniques, improv, skills such as cold reading and developing characters. Read some books about adution techniques.
Do whatever it takes to improve yourself.

If you want a job in theatre/ acting management or a related position, get a degree at uni. If you want a certificate saying you know textbook acting, go to NIDA or WAPA. If you want to act, learn to act. Some of the best actors never went to acting school. Some lived on the streets, had abusive childhoods, etc. Geoffrey Rush didnt start acting until he was 40.

Hope any of this helped. These are just some of the truths of the business.

HSC
Are you in Sydney SpoonSamba?

If so, consider Uni of Western Sydney, Uni of Wollongong, Uni of Newcastle.
For acting colleges, start with WAPA in Perth, then NIDA, then try Melbourne. There is one really good one in Melbourne but I've forgotten the name. I can find that out, one of my mates sisters is doing a degree in Dance and she loves it there.

The issue is what you want to do really. If you want to manage actors or work in the business higher up than struggling to make casting auditions, get a degree and if you want, a major.
If your determined enough to start at the bottom with thousands of other people, get a good agent, get a set of headshots done, either professionally (dont pay less that $150 or more than $300) or get a mate with a nice camera to take some headshots for you. If you want info on places I can send you a few details of places that do it reasonably cheaply, or I can give you details and a webpage on taking your own. Get a headshot, write a portfolio (name. age. previous experience. skills eg speak a different language, juggle, dance) and get an agent. if you want details on doing that let me know. (ps: with all these "let me knows", u hav to be specific lol)

also, depending on how much money you have to spend on this career choice, dont rule out overseas study. im working towards studying in London, at their equivalent of NIDA. i was lucky enough to get to visit europe on a family holiday, and i made sure i visited the national institute of drama in london and did an unofficial tour just by asking the fornt office. if you study overseas in UK for example, you will increase your exposure to getting cast for something larger than single adverts.
on the topic of getting cast for larger roles, make sure you tell your agent you want this. there are quite a few bad agents out there who will take you on, sometimes without even asking for a headshot or showreel (ask if you dont know what that is) and will simply get you easy, low paying advertisment castings that you can usually get cast in pretty easily, but thats all the agent will do for you. research the agent before you sign with them, and once your signed, stress to them that you want jobs such as lead roles in short films, supporting roles in feature films etc. Obviously you wont get an audition in front of hollywoods leading directors immediately, but the agent gets the idea that you dont want just ads. of course, you will still get offered auditions for ads, but hopefully your agent will not just limit you to them.
Understand the difference between dignity and fussyness.
If you are offered audition (by this I mean the casting call for everyone trying out for a role, where you usually sit in a room for a few hours, then get called in in front of about 4 people depending on the event, and read from a small peice of paper a few lines) then look at what the role is before you immediatley say YES!
Again, this comes back to the quality of your agent, and you integrity as an actor. You have to start somewhere, but dont take everything that comes your way. A lot of actors and teachers will advise otherwise, saying that as an actor any role will benefit you. This is true, until it gets to the point where your agent simply gives you the same low-class audition all the time, and you accept them all the time. Dressing up as a vegetable and singing and dancing a 15 second jingle is fine, but is it pushing your skill as an actor? Does it help you grow and mature your skills and talent? Sure, if you've never been on a set before, this is a low-pressure time to get to know the equipment and set rules, but very few casting directors watch out for thses kind of roles. Always push yourself when getting auditions. The reason I stress this so much is that many young actors find themselves doing crappy jingles because theyve been taught to accept ANY role that comes their way, and then find themselves several years later still doing crappy jingles because they feel comfortable doing them, and because they dont think they are capable of acting to any higher standard. No actor can not improve.

Sorry I've written a small book here =P but there are a lot of mistakes that people going into the business make, and if you can be aware of a few of them before you start, it will save you time, money, and possibly a few years trying to break into the business.
Lemme know if you want more details on anything here, or anything else, I can probably help you out, or give you some websites or people you can call!

EVERYTHING I HAVE TYPED HERE IS MY OWN OPINIONS BASED ON EXPERIENCE OR ADVICE OF SEVERAL PROFESSIONALS IN VARIOUS AREAS OF THE ACTING INDUSTRY. AS PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN SAYS, "MORE LIKE GUIDELINES THAN ACTUAL RULES"

SpoonSamba

HSC
ok well i definitely did notet xpect this type of response when i posted this thread but thanks a million.

yeh ive heard of the courses at wollongong and western sydney i dnt knw a lo about them though. But some girl at my school went to UWS and now shes just scored a lead in a new series in America, so it cant be that bad.

I'm gonna sound random now but I was talking to a homeless guy last night and he was giving me advice on how to get into acting. He said try the genesian theatre in sydney, which I've looked up and sounds interesting. And also said avoid the actors centre or something like that at surry Hills but Most importantyly, DO NOT become involved with the ensemble studios. He was extremely emphatic on this point about the ensemble any one know why? Because i was looking up places yesterday and thought their one yr course sounded interesting and then i randomly meet a homelesss guy on the same day who tells me to avoid it. Which is creepy. lol any way yeh.

and trickymchodge can u post those links? and whats a showreel? lol

You're a starrrrrrrrr

lol cheers everyone

SpoonSamba

HSC
I'm not taking advice I'm just wondering why he said it

and don't knock homeless people, some of them are lovely and a lot of the time its not their fault they're on the street.

HSC
links to what specifically? i have lots of links lol
headshots, acting courses, acting manuals (these are a guide to get you learning about yourself, do not use these as a bible, becasue the stuff they teach is really generic stuff that hundreds of other actors know. on the other hand, a lot of actors dont think to research acting guides, and so sometime su might know somethign they dont.)

and a showreel, and anyone please feel free to correct me on this, is a short film that is a compilation of film work you've done. ideally, a showreel should be only 3-4minutes long, if that, because showreels are submitted to casting directors on some occasions, or agents, and they really are not going to watch a random showreel for 10minutes. your showreel should be composed of your best on screen acting, so if you've done onscreen roles for tv, film, your own short films etc, edit a showreel yourself, or im sure u can find a friend who knows how to work an editing program on their computer, and make a showreel. a showreel is typically for screen acting. if you want theatre, just audition. screen you will audition also a lot, but now and then it helps to have a showreel so that the agent or casting director can see you in action. try to have a range of pieces in your showreel aka dont just have 5 extracts of monologues where your crying and yelling. instead, have a range of emotions, skills, techniques and roles. if you are using a clip that features other actors, try not to have them in the showreel for too long, otherwise you are just showing a short film, not a display of your ability. save the showreel onto a cd, so that you can make copies whenever. i know it seems silly by 2008, but some actors still film themselves on the good old VCR camcorders and submit a VHS cassette. they are idiots.

anyone comment my definitions if you disagree with anything ive said, cause i am only 17 and dont know much about anything =)

let me know which links you want and ill post em up

HSC
Here a range of links. They should point you in the right direction with different aspects of the industry, and if you want more on any area, let me know!

University of Wollongong, Course Description of Creative Arts. (Performing Arts requires UAI of 85)
http://www.uac.edu.au/courses/uw/754601.html

Actors College of Theatre and Television
http://www.actt.edu.au/pages/home.html

Australian Film Television and Radio School
http://www.aftrs.edu.au/

Info on Headshots
http://www.jom.com.au/1C_1_actors_.html

Actors Handbook
http://www.actorshandbook.com/
(Use the Chapter buttons near the top of the page to see overviews of the guide. I wouldn't recommend signing up for it, but the summary of the chapters might help with a few tips.)

Go to your local library and find the Drama/ Theatre section. There should be a range of books on Actor Monologues, Audition Tips, and books by theatre practitioners like Stanislavski and Chekhov. Read through these and find some books you like and find useful.

The 3 acting classes i do a week are with a local performing arts academy. This make sit sound big and fancy, but it is a 4 year old school which holds its classes on weeknights in a local church hall. Im learning very useful stuff and growing as an actor, all for 15$ per lesson. This is not as prestigious as NIDA, but Im about 2000$ better off.

If you want to increase your chances of gettin cast, dont limit yourself to acting alone. I do hiphop and acrobatics classes as well, not so much for acting CV but because I enjoy them. But when a casting director is reading your CV, if they are looking for someone who can ride a horse or dance in a choreographed scene, they will audition the people that can actually do it previously.
So list some talents or skills you have along with the classes you've attended for acting. These include speaking other languages, acrobatics, dance, horse riding, skills like juggling etc. There are lots, it all depends on what you do or are willing to do. THIS IS AN IMPORTANT TIP: If you are auditioning for a part, and the casting director asks you if you can do something, for example do a handstand and walk a few metres on your hands, you can say yes even if you cant. This, among other small things, can be learnt quite quickly before you start filming after the audition. Go away and learn how to do it well. Pay for lessons in the week or two between if its something like salsa dancing (???). This only backfires if they ask you to do it for them in the studio (which they 99% of the time wont), or if you utterly cant learn it before you start filming. Then your screwed and you've learnt not to lie.
OR
Say you cant perform that skill, BUT that you are more than willing to learn. I have a friend who was asked if he could horse ride (its a good example!) and he couldn't, so he told them no, but that he was willing to learn. He got the acting audition and the trainer on set gave him lessons in a few days leading up to the filming. This is a motivation for the casting director to give you the role if you are willing to learn. You're only screwed if someone else auditions who is a good actor AND can perform that talent as well. Tough luck there.

HSC
thanks for the the input boris! if that is your real name....

you finished ur hsc 4 years ago. go get a job and contribute to society. or at least lolwut @ other posts. i bet you play WoW. do you? sigh...

boris

Banned
HSC
trickymchodge said:
thanks for the the input boris! if that is your real name....

you finished ur hsc 4 years ago. go get a job and contribute to society. or at least lolwut @ other posts. i bet you play WoW. do you? sigh...
it's not even your thread so shut the hell up fool.

i'll thank you to learn how to count. 2002 = 6 years.

HSC
boris said:
it's not even your thread so shut the hell up fool.

i'll thank you to learn how to count. 2002 = 6 years.
your mudda so fatt that wen she jump fo joy, she get stuck

bassistx

HSC
SpoonSamba said:
And NIDA i haev issues with like if u get in the 3 yr full time course
I hope you realise that your course wouldn't be less than 3 years anyway unless you had like a CERTIV already or something.

Matt Samson said:
What a stupid thing to say.

A straight bachelor of arts might not get you a job, but one with a specific major will.
You fckwit, you have to major anyway.
El stupido!

SpoonSamba

HSC
just had my audition for this course today, its so off my preferences its a hole the structure is stupid and its just shit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)