Bachelor IT major Information Systems (1 Viewer)

TomHSC2012

HSC
Hey all,

So I'm anew student who will be studying IT this year at Macq. This will be my first year. I am wondering if anyone could tell me where to locate information such as 'suggested patten of study', as I would like to know what I will be studying and when. I need this for enrolment but at this stage I can only find a tony amount of information on what I will be studying first year and when. So far I have looked at the Macquarie University Faculty of Science, Department of Computing Units for first year. This webpage gives me a list of what I will be studying, for example, COMP115, COMP 125, ISYS100, ISYS1004, ISYS114, COMP111. If thats what I am studying for my first year Can I make a 'timetable' based on that? I have also found on the faculties page a list of undergraduate units designated for Information Technology, what does this mean? Do I have to do all of them? How do I pick them? When do I study them?

Lastly, My brother is doing Arts BA DIP ED, and his faculty has all this information already there! It even has a suggested program of study. Does the faculty of Science have this as well?

Thanks in advance,

Tom.

PumpedUpKicks

HSC
Hey Tom,
It's gonna be my first year in IT this year too :) I pretty much had the same problem as yours, but I got in contact with my UniWISE mentor, and she helped me through choosing the units for first year, etc. Yes, you can make a timetable out of that, seeing as the units do tell whether they run in first/second session and get the timings and the locations as well. You can do like 4 units per session, which is normal, and the information on the website lists enough for at least four units. I had a question about the 'electives' or what else we're supposed to study apart from the core computing and business information systems units, and I got directed to the online mq handbook unit guide. It might help you with your questions.
http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/2012/Units/UGByOffering/2013
In my case, I'm totally confused at the lack of subjects they offer for this particular degree, so I'm just going to wait until my enrolment day to ask the computing department how to organise the proposed program form, etc.
Hope you get better advice soon :)

TomHSC2012

HSC
Hey,

Thanks for your'e reply. So far for session one I have,

Session 1:
ISYS104 - Introduction to Business Information Systems
ACCG106 - Accounting Information for Decision
COMP115 - Introduction to Computer Science

Planet Unit - ISYS100 - IT and society.

Session 2:
DHTH137 - Discrete Mathematics
ISYS114 - Introduction to System Design and data management

Participation Unit - ISYS335 - Information System project.

So I have session one sorted, but session two I still need a people unit and I don't think there is anything related to IT.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Hey,

Thanks for your'e reply. So far for session one I have,

Session 1:

Planet Unit - ISYS100 - IT and society.

Session 2:

Participation Unit - ISYS335 - Information System project.

So I have session one sorted, but session two I still need a people unit and I don't think there is anything related to IT.
Hi Tom,

You may need to rethink your People Planet options, the whole point of them is that they are not related to your main area of study.

One of your PP units must be outside your department (computing)

The other must be outside your faculty (Science)

Unfortunately ISYS100 - IT and society is both within the Department of Computing AND the Faculty of Science, so you cannot use it as your planet unit.

PumpedUpKicks

HSC
Hey,
I agree with may cat, unfortunately it turns out we actually cannot pick ISYS100 for a people/planet unit. But can't we just pick it as a normal IT unit?
My units are for Session 1 are COMP115, ISYS104, ACCG106, ISYS100 (if we can).
Session 2: ISYS114, DMTH137, COMP125 (fundamentals of computer science) and maaaybe COMP118 (enrichment topics in computing). Or probs just a random people/planet unit to make up for the missing unit.

Btw, isn't your Participation Unit - ISYS335 - Information System project, for 300 level, 3rd year?

TomHSC2012

HSC
Hey all,

So after taking your advice Mr. Cat I have re-done my proposed patten of study for S1 and S2. What I have now is;

Session 1:

Planent/people unit: still undecided.

Session 2:

Session 2:

Planet/people unit: still undecided.

Is there anything wrong with doing only 3 units of work? I'm finding it hard to find units which have no prerequisites , that are offer in the session which suites me and that have any kind of relevance to my course. Can anyone suggest a forth option for S1 and maybe suggestion a few units to study for S2? My enrolment day is tomorrow so I need to get this sorted out ASAP.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Hehe, 'Miss Cat' would be more appropriate i think

There's nothing wrong with taking 3 units per semester, you are still considered a full time student with 9cp (3 units) per semester. In fact, it's what i have done throughout the majority of my degree because i found that 4 units stressed me out too much and my marks would slip. Of course everyone is different, some people are comfortable with 4 units, others 3, others 2.

Have you had a look at the PP unit lists? What are you interested in outside of IT?

BTW, the handbook entry for the B.IT is really odd... It gives you your foundation units and the units required to complete your major, but no balance of cp for electives...?

This is odd because your degree requires a minimum of 72cp, yet the foundations (12cp) + major (27cp) + ppp (9cp) units only bring you to 48cp. You would usually expect there to be a balance of 24cp of electives, it's weird that it isn't explicitly mentioned (as it is with almost all other degrees).

I can't imagine that these 'missing' credit points could be anything other than electives, you would use them to flesh out the other requirements of your degree:

Minimum number of credit points at 200 level or above 42
Minimum number of credit points at 300 level or above 18
(keeping in mind that the 200/300 lvl cp gained from your foundation units/major also count towards this)

It is certainly something i would discuss tomorrow with your academic adviser.

Last edited:

TomHSC2012

HSC
Hehe, 'Miss Cat' would be more appropriate i think

There's nothing wrong with taking 3 units per semester, you are still considered a full time student with 9cp (3 units) per semester. In fact, it's what i have done throughout the majority of my degree because i found that 4 units stressed me out too much and my marks would slip. Of course everyone is different, some people are comfortable with 4 units, others 3, others 2.

Have you had a look at the PP unit lists? What are you interested in outside of IT?

BTW, the handbook entry for the B.IT is really odd... It gives you your foundation units and the units required to complete your major, but no balance of cp for electives...?

This is odd because your degree requires a minimum of 72cp, yet the foundations (12cp) + major (27cp) + ppp (9cp) units only bring you to 48cp. You would usually expect there to be a balance of 24cp of electives, it's weird that it isn't explicitly mentioned (as it is with almost all other degrees).

I can't imagine that these 'missing' credit points could be anything other than electives, you would use them to flesh out the other requirements of your degree:

Minimum number of credit points at 200 level or above 42
Minimum number of credit points at 300 level or above 18
(keeping in mind that the 200/300 lvl cp gained from your foundation units/major also count towards this)

It is certainly something i would discuss tomorrow with your academic adviser.
Hello May Cat, sorry if I offended you I honestly didn't check the details below your DP. I have made some progress since my last message in this thread. I have basicly mapped out what I plan to do fro the next 3 years, which of course is subject to change. Also I appreciate your help thus far.

So, I now have,

BBA111 - Organisational behaviour.

I too find it strange that require for this degree 72 CP. I'm hoping that I will be able to do BBA as to what I understand it to be, an elective. Anyway I'm sure I will find out tomorrow when I enrol!

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Hello May Cat, sorry if I offended you I honestly didn't check the details below your DP.
lol, it's cool, i really don't care

I have made some progress since my last message in this thread. I have basicly mapped out what I plan to do fro the next 3 years, which of course is subject to change. Also I appreciate your help thus far.

So, I now have,

BBA111 - Organisational behaviour.

I too find it strange that require for this degree 72 CP. I'm hoping that I will be able to do BBA as to what I understand it to be, an elective. Anyway I'm sure I will find out tomorrow when I enrol!
I'm glad you managed to map out your degree. I'm really interested to know what your academic adviser had to say about the lack of mention of electives.

TomHSC2012

HSC
lol, it's cool, i really don't care

I'm glad you managed to map out your degree. I'm really interested to know what your academic adviser had to say about the lack of mention of electives.
Hey,

So after talking to my academic adviser, who was actually the one who gave he lecture at the start said that, BIT allows for electives at least 1 per session. He also said that I should have not troubles in raising 72CP. His advice was to take more IT units to help me achieve the 72 CP needed to complete the degree.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Hm, that's a really funny way of putting it '1 elective per session', but righto.

F2001

HSC
Do DMTH137 with cruise/easy subjects.

I did it with...
COMP125, COMP255, ISYS224 and DMTH137 easily took 85% of my time.
Marks in 125 & 255 (cruiser subject though) suffered. 224 was easy for me, most people don't find it that way. Beware.

It's not an easy unit and you really should do MATH123 as a bridger or already have the equivalent knowledge as a prereq. They removed it as a prereq years ago [to make more money!].

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)