Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Arts.....worth doing? :/ (1 Viewer)

filip23

HSC
just wanted some opinions...

i'm interested in doing a combined commerce degree with a bachelor of arts (majoring in a language). is it even worth doing this combined degree? i've heard so much about an arts degree being 'as useless as the paper it's printed on'. i'm very interested in languages and all the uni brochures talk about this combined degree option as 'giving students a competitive edge in the job market'. does it really? would it be that recognised when entering the employment market?

i'd appreciate any of your thoughts/experiences...

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Yes it is worth it.

Plus say you learned Japanese, and you have a Commerce degree. You can kinda somewhat do business in Japan, or work for a firm with Japanese clients - and you learning Japanese is a huge plus.

filip23

HSC
do you still think it's worth it if i majored in a European language such as French or German? i have been discouraged by some from studying a European language as they say there are more commerce-related employment prospects in Asia...

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Do what you want. I mean, you'll have a Commerce degree anyway - it just so happens you have a language to boost it.

HSC
Uni Grad
do you still think it's worth it if i majored in a European language such as French or German? i have been discouraged by some from studying a European language as they say there are more commerce-related employment prospects in Asia...
Depends on your purpose of learning that particular language. If you're up for the money factor, well, I would suggest Spanish (lots and lots of people speaking Spanish in the world + potential growth in Spanish speaking countries), but tbh, don't only go for the money factor.

I know people only chose Chinese for the money factor and they hated it to death.

Also be aware of scaling; it'll be hard to pull out Ds and HDs for such subjects unless if you put quite a lot of effort in. Sure, if you're here to pass, why not just cram on the last day, but surely you'll want at least high credit =_=

tambam

HSC
Can't speak for all unis/courses, but I had 2 friends who did language subjects at unsw, I think it was French and Spanish, and both of them said it was the worst thing they'd ever done, and I'm pretty sure both of them changed out of international studies as a result.

BUT in saying that, if you want to supplement your comm degree and you're interested in languages, consider doing a double degree with international studies? Will probably be more relevant. Or if you're keen on learning a language, do it outside uni and save yourself a few grand in HECS. Unless you have overseas connections, your first grad job will probably be within Australia anyway, and then from there you can transfer out to overseas branches. (ie. Your arts degree wont be what gets you the job)

runnable

HSC
I'd say useful if you learn something actually useful for employment in Arts, such as languages. If you do something like Ancient History or Greek Literature, then I'm not so sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)