Bachelor of Laws Online Study 2024 (1 Viewer)

BackToClass

HSC
Hi all,

Currently completing a Diploma of Paralegal Services (due to end December of this year) at TAFE NSW. I've been looking at studying the Bachelors of Laws for 2024 entry online as I have two young children in primary school and don't feel like I can take on the load of travelling to and from uni to study full time with the kids' school times (no external help so all responsibilities are on me). I've been looking at University of New England and Charles Sturt University. Wondering if anyone can provide feedback about these two universities or direct me to a better alternative? I live in South West Sydney if that helps.

I know part time is an option however I am in my late 20's and dont want to spend 6-8 years doing part time. If I am able to complete the degree in 4 years (or 3) I would much prefer that.

Thanks.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
The Bachelor of Laws at both UNE and CSU seems like a good option for someone in your situation. Both universities offer online delivery for this degree (they appear to be some of the few universities that do so) and the degree length is 3 years full-time, as opposed to 4 years in the case of most other universities, which aligns with your needs most closely.

In terms of the universities themselves, neither UNE nor CSU is considered as being on the level of universities with more established and regarded law schools, such as USyd and UNSW, or other universities, such as UTS. With that being said, if you do not aim to work in large and leading law firms completing a Bachelor of Laws at a university other than those that are potentially more advantageous would not be necessary, as you should be able to find employment in the legal industry provided that you do your best to maximise your academic performance and engage in any work opportunities that arise (should this be manageable given your circumstances) in order to gain relevant experience.

With that being said, it is important to note that the ability to study full-time does not only depend on whether this can be accommodated by the university to meet your specific needs, but also on whether you have enough time to do so given your other commitments. For instance, I knew a mature age student in my second year who was also a mother, but studied her degree part-time in order to balance the need to take care of her children as well as her work. She ended up completing her degree in 8 years, as opposed to 3 years in the case of full-time study.

Another thing that you may wish to consider is that you can potentially complete some of your units in a summer session if you choose to study at CSU, which reduces the number of units that you would need to take in the first and/or second semester. It is unclear whether this also applies to UNE, since this university adopts a trimester system, which in turn raises an important consideration, being whether you would be more comfortable with a semester system or a trimester system.

I hope this helps! 😄

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)