Bachelor of Science vs Bachelor of Medical Science (1 Viewer)

Splintax01

HSC
I was just wondering if anyone had any information relevant to these courses for my current situation:

I'm currently studying Bachelor of Biotechnology Bachelor of Business and was hoping to switch to Bachelor of Medical Science and Business for 2020. However upon checking the course structure, I see that some key subjects I've completed (such as immunology) are no longer included in the new curriculum for Medical Science, however they ARE still included in Bachelor of Science majoring in Medical Science.

My question is, is Bachelor of Science majoring in Medical Science a 'worse' course than standalone Bachelor of Medical Science? The subjects in both courses are almost exactly the same but the entry requirements for Bachelor of Science are much lower which is why I'm a bit confused and wonder if maybe employers look down upon a Bachelor of Science with a medical science major as opposed to a standalone Medical Science degree.

Bball1

HSC
Science is mostly an easier course to get into than medical science and so employers probably would favour medical science more but I don't think it would make that big of an impact. Personally, I would just go for the straight medical science degree

Constantine

HSC
The entry requirements are often a reflection of how popular the degree is, as opposed to how practical or popular they are with employers. B Science offers much more flexible and freedom in allowing you to 'construct' the content of your own degree whereas B Medical Science is much more narrow. Your choice should be underpinned by what career path you are aspiring to in the future.

andrew12678

HSC
Science definitely opens up an alternative career depending on the majors you select (i.e. you could decide you have a hidden passion for Mathematics/Statistics/Computer Science and decide to progress into these fields), hard to say that for Medical Science. Very important to keep your options open these days

sida1049

HSC
As with the previous couple of posts, I also would suggest B. Science over B. Medical Science. Not only do you presumably graduate faster (due to courses you've completed), but also as andrew says, the flexibility in being able to have a second major or a minor will benefit you, in both employability (e.g. it may very well be the case that your second major gets you a job) and in further studies (i.e. should you decide to do research related to medical science later, some experience with stats/maths/comp sci/chemistry/physics/whatever is a great advantage).

Good luck!

Medman

HSC
Bball1 probably doesn't have any real life experience.
I would agree with everyone else here. Science over medical science.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)