Bad cohort (1 Viewer)

Eg155

HSC
My bio cohort is not that strong as shown by a low grade average on our reports.

With 14 units should I just take the opportunity to go now before all the assessments flood in?

Assuming I want to do med. My teacher said bio>chem in terms of what medicine requires. I would stay but I just don't want to be affected.

Thoughts?

other subs- chem, visual arts (very strong cohort), modern (very strong), ext eng 1 (strong) , ext 2 eng (tbd), hist ext (tbd), Sor1 (alright)

enoilgam

HSC
If you finish at the top of biology, this should greatly reduce or even eliminate the effect of a poor cohort (depending on the specific facts of course).

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad
Assuming I want to do med. My teacher said bio>chem in terms of what medicine requires.
Bio may have more relavant course material to med, however if you don't get a high enough ATAR, for the most part doing/ not doing bio will not make any difference. However what I would say is if you think that bio could mathematically be one of your best subjects keep it irrespective of your cohort's strength. All of that said if its not one of your best subjects then drop, you've got 14 units!!

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
I do bio and theres like 5-10 people that are getting decent marks out of 54

just maintain a high rank and you'll be fine

avro

HSC
In all honesty, you want to make sure your major work subjects (visual arts and ext2 plus history ext to an extent) are strong before you drop Biology. At least you can get the syllabus etc, but major work subjects can be inherently subjective. And if you want to do Med you should be aiming for first in everything, anyway? So aim to top Biology. Plus 14 units give you room to move if you mess up anything to do with a major work, OR the external markers don't like it. Don't drop anything yet. Aim for first and take a deep breath, don't worry about cohorts just yet. Particularly if you aim to top everything.

Sendoh08

HSC
If you finish at the top of biology, this should greatly reduce or even eliminate the effect of a poor cohort (depending on the specific facts of course).
Exactly the same of what I heard. If you finish first, then you should be alright in the end =)

mariaerika

HSC
Hey! I'm not too sure on how ranking affects my ATAR either. My cohort, in general, isn't as great compared to other schools and I was wondering if that affected my ATAR, especially since I want to do law at USYD. If it matters I have 13 units (4U English, 1U Studies of Religion, 2U Mathematics, Modern History, Legal Studies and Business Studies) and I'm coming first in English Adv., Modern History, Legal Studies and Business and I'm in the top 10% for the rest except for Math (no surprise there really haha). Can someone please explain? :S

enoilgam

HSC
Hey! I'm not too sure on how ranking affects my ATAR either. My cohort, in general, isn't as great compared to other schools and I was wondering if that affected my ATAR, especially since I want to do law at USYD. If it matters I have 13 units (4U English, 1U Studies of Religion, 2U Mathematics, Modern History, Legal Studies and Business Studies) and I'm coming first in English Adv., Modern History, Legal Studies and Business and I'm in the top 10% for the rest except for Math (no surprise there really haha). Can someone please explain? :S
If you come first from your cohort both internally and externally, then your cohort will have no effect on you in those subjects.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Dropping a subject should be based on your weakest link/most hated sub rather than cohort strength usually.

Eg155

HSC
Thanks guys!

on that note, does anyone have trial/half yearly papers they would like to share??

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't drop based on cohorts. No,no, no. You could come 1st in it if you're passionate. Like my modern cohort, I came 1st internally, so what if the average was 47?

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Apparently Bio is all memorising and can be picked up very easily later if needed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)