Bad grades prompt surge in university death threats (1 Viewer)

Selador

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
http://www.news.com.au/national/bad...ty-death-threats/story-e6frfkvr-1226239011113

News Ltd said:
UNIVERSITY lecturers are getting death threats from international students who have received bad grades.

Victoria Police are investigating one case at a state campus after an email was sent to a lecturer stating: "I will kill u and your family."
It is understood the email was sent from a student who was given a low mark at the end of last semester and warned the lecturer to expect an attack on university grounds.
Four staff members from three Victorian universities told the Sunday Herald Sun threats against tertiary staff by international students were becoming more common.
Cars had been defaced with graffiti, teachers' houses vandalised and staff physically intimidated and stalked by students.
One source said universities were reluctant to act on threats because international students were full fee-paying "cash cows".
They are required to pay fees in advance and usually spend between $14,000 and $35,000 a year for a bachelor of arts and more for other degrees such as medicine, according to Australian Government estimates.
More than 151,000 international students were enrolled in different degrees at universities in Victoria last year.
Clinical psychologist Lisa Warren said she dealt with up to 15 cases involving university staff last year.
Dr Warren said the majority of the threats were made by email or on social networking sites by international and local students.
In the incident being probed by police, the emailer wrote: "Why did u give the f---ing low marks? I will kill u and your family next year 2012.
"I promise i will kill u excluding any cost, believe me."
The victim, who did not want to be named, told the Sunday Herald Sun he was shocked and afraid the threat would be carried out.
"I have colleagues in the rooms next to me and if someone was to come in waving a gun it is a threat against all of us," he said.
Police have contacted the Immigration Department about the threat, the victim said.
Dr Warren said in severe cases victims of threats could be traumatised for life.
"Most of the time it is just a blunt and ineffective way of communication, but anything that suggests the student has personal information, such as where the victim's house is or where their child goes to school, is worrying," Dr Warren said.
All these students should be immediately expelled from their univeristy and deported to whence they came. Cash cows or not, how could universities be reluctant to act against this kind of behaviour?

Last edited:

so_what

HSC
Yeah I agree with you. Who cares how much they are paying that kind of behaviour should not be tolerated.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Those threats have pretty bad English as well....

Interesting article, though.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
You'd think that somebody paying 15-35k per year would actually study hard in order to NOT get these 'low marks'.

Some people can be so stupid.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
nothing like the prestige of aussie universities

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Those threats have pretty bad English as well....

Interesting article, though.
ahahaha true.

But seriously, some of those International Students aren't smart at all - they're just rich. I think give them all fails on their academic transcript and then... deport them. /so mean

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
All these students should be immediately expelled from their univeristy and deported to whence they came. Cash cows or not, how could universities be reluctant to act against this kind of behaviour?
International students are an important source of income for universities, they pay a shit load of money and universities want as much as possible.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Pretty disgusting stuff, but I do get the feeling that this is somehow over exaggerated (as you would normally expect).

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Just increase their fees if they threaten staff.
Everybody wins.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
That behavior shouldn't be tolerated, whether they're serious or not, doesn't matter if it's a money mine, it just should not be happening, if you want high marks, work hard, simple.

HSC
Uni Grad
Even if you get shit marks, you shouldn't do such a thing... like WTF, threatening to kill someone just because they got a bad mark?? T_T

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
Pretty disgusting stuff, but I do get the feeling that this is somehow over exaggerated (as you would normally expect).
It's probably exaggerated (like that time they called the 3u HSC exam 'disgusting')... but it's still pretty bad

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
You'd think that somebody paying 15-35k per year would actually study hard in order to NOT get these 'low marks'.

Some people can be so stupid.
Totally agree with that, bloody atrocious behaviour on the students account, their parents pay so much for them yet they take it for granted sigh, they should be expelled immediately.

Sainteced

HSC
Uni Grad
Chinese triad has found Australian universities. But really, with the amount of international students coming in, deport them.

enoilgam

HSC
International students are an important source of income for universities, they pay a shit load of money and universities want as much as possible.
This, education is Australia's third largest export and universities arent going jeopardise a major cash cow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)