Bad Marking (2 Viewers)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I got half a mark taken away from me for the shittiest reason ever. The half a mark is worth a lot because it caused my position to move down from equal third to fourth.

I already went ot the teacher and he said that they are not corners. Can I take the matter further?

The lost mark has nothing to do with multiple lines because f(x) was already given and i already consulted the teacher about it and said the lost mark was due to corners.

Last edited:

WannaBang?

HSC
I'm so surprised you got a single mark for that graph. I'm not being a dickhead, but at my school you would have got a 0 for that answer. Your graph has multiple lines AND the corners ARE sharp.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
WannaBang? said:
I'm so surprised you got a single mark for that graph. I'm not being a dickhead, but at my school you would have got a 0 for that answer. Your graph has multiple lines AND the corners ARE sharp.
f(x) was already given as a guide, that is why there is multiple lines. The corners are supposed to be sharp it is an absolute graph and i lost the mark because the corners aren't sharp enough.

WannaBang?

HSC
kaz1 said:
f(x) was already given as a guide, that is why there is multiple lines. The corners are supposed to be sharp it is an absolute graph and i lost the mark because the corners aren't sharp enough.
Oh ok, sorry about that, I didn't really read the question. Still, your corners aren't sharp enough, your lines are more curvy then they are straight. Accept your mark, you're very lucky you got that much.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
If I was marking it, I probably would've given it to you. But yeah....as the teacher said, the thing is meant to be a corner - and you'll never forget it again. I wouldn't take things much higher, just for an extra rank. You don't get anything extra for coming 3rd, do you?

e-star!09

HSC
aww... well that suks

in year 11, teachers are soooo pedantic when they mark!!

a friend of mine lost a mark in EES because she wrote "Weigh the sample" when she should have written "Weigh the sample for the mass" and she was like, What else do you weigh something for?!

oh well, teachers need to be pedantic because detail is very important in the HSC isn't it... :uhoh:

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
Wow, quite shitty indeed =O

But don't worry, if you lost a mark for that, the rank 1,2,3 probably did as well. If they didn't...Bad luck

HSC
Learn to draw graphs neatly. And quit complaining over 0.5 marks in year 11. -__-

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
Your teacher is pretty mean, but your curve does kinda have a slight kink near the x-axis which could imply that the curve was supposed to be curvy, instead of sharp. :(

I still think you should have gotten the mark though.

selablad

HSC
Well, of course the graph was meant to be slightly curvy...it's based on a parabola, not straight lines!

The actual "corner" looks pretty sharp to me, anyway. I would have given you the mark (although if I'd been feeling mean I might have taken it away again for not having the other bit of the graph dotted out.

Oh well...it's just half a mark, and one rank

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
I'd take the mark off.

Feathering in the lines don't make it a functino anymore, and the cusps aren't definite, it still looks like a curve

gurmies

Drover
HSC
Definitely would have got the mark at our school (Sydney Tech) They are so damn lenient with sketches!

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
Ouch that must've hurt. I would've given it to you because it asked for a sketch. But I'm sure next time you'd do it so the corners are really sharp.

eliseliselise

HSC
i suppose it depends on the mood the teacher was in whilst marking, but if anyone else did something similar to you, then you could probably argue it a bit more. and if it means that much to you, you could always report to head of maths or something like that.

but yeah, ur graphs right and it shows the basic idea which is what "sketching" is all about imo, but things like this happen all the time, and teachers just want to make you as prepared and fastidious for the HSC-- nothing wrong with perfection!! teachers do crap like this to me all da time, might as well just accept it, move on and prove them all wrong later on.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Better than having marks taken off for being 'too detailed'...

It happened to a few of my friends. :p

shaon0

HSC
eliseliselise said:
i suppose it depends on the mood the teacher was in whilst marking, but if anyone else did something similar to you, then you could probably argue it a bit more. and if it means that much to you, you could always report to head of maths or something like that.

but yeah, ur graphs right and it shows the basic idea which is what "sketching" is all about imo, but things like this happen all the time, and teachers just want to make you as prepared and fastidious for the HSC-- nothing wrong with perfection!! teachers do crap like this to me all da time, might as well just accept it, move on and prove them all wrong later on.
the funny thing is that our math teacher who marked the test of kaz1 is the math co-ordinator's son.

eliseliselise

HSC
dear kaz1,

today i had a moment somewhat akin to that of yours!! twas in biology, the sun was shining, my textbook was with me and the room smelt of a year 12 chemistry pract. ANYWAY, we got our "skills" test back, and i ended up with a mark of 31/32. which i was happy with. until i found out what it was FOR---NOT USING A PENCIL in a LINE GRAPH!! there were like 3 variables, and using a lead pencil would have screwed with my eyes.

it was quite irritating because the test was disgustingly easy and now my rank is stuffed, but i will get over this. and accept that life is never fair.

but alas, kaz 1--- you are not alone.

selablad

HSC
eliseliselise said:
dear kaz1,

today i had a moment somewhat akin to that of yours!! twas in biology, the sun was shining, my textbook was with me and the room smelt of a year 12 chemistry pract. ANYWAY, we got our "skills" test back, and i ended up with a mark of 31/32. which i was happy with. until i found out what it was FOR---NOT USING A PENCIL in a LINE GRAPH!! there were like 3 variables, and using a lead pencil would have screwed with my eyes.

it was quite irritating because the test was disgustingly easy and now my rank is stuffed, but i will get over this. and accept that life is never fair.

I got a mark, rank and VHA10 taken away from me for something as well.

I didn't attach a bibliography.

In a maths assignment.

So I feel you both.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
eliseliselise said:
dear kaz1,

lol we have both learnt our lesson. You would probably use a pencil for any graph you draw in a test and i will make sure my absolute graphs are razor sharp.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
selablad said:
I got a mark, rank and VHA10 taken away from me for something as well.

I didn't attach a bibliography.

In a maths assignment.

So I feel you both.
lol that happened to me in a year 9 history assignment. If I put in that bibliography I would have come first in the grade. I now bookmark every website I go to on an assignment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)