Bad marks (1 Viewer)

hayleyemma96

HSC
Hi all,
I just received my mark back for an essay I wrote in one of my subjects (Business Academic Skills) and I only got 52.5/100.
I'm so disappointed because I've never gotten a mark that low and I'm worried that I won't pass the unit.
I need to maintain a credit average to keep my scholarship and I think this unit will jeopardise that.
It's my first assessment task and I'm already almost failing (I actually consider it to be failing in my eyes).
I'm used to getting 80-90% in all my essays and tasks :(

madharris

HSC
N/A
Yeah be happy if you get a 80/90 in uni :p

As for your essay, read the comments that you got, email/talk to your tutor/lecturer if you want them to further explain something and use this knowledge to help your next assignment
you probably just need to learn to adhere more to the marking criteria and possibly learn to reference properly

enoilgam

HSC
Uni is usually a shock for most people because they generally mark a lot harder than they do at a HS level (obviously). If you are getting as low as 50% in an essay, then usually that means your essay writing skills need work. What did the lecturer comment on specifically - was it structure, the way it was written or was it your argument formation?

Just as a side note, this also illustrates the importance of HS to uni. I'm not saying that this is the case for the OP, but entering uni with a strong command of certain skills (such as essay writing) is a huge advantage.

Lina3

HSC
Yeah, I've heard that pretty much everyone gets a bad shock when they get to uni. We were even told by our degree advisor to EXPECT marks in the 50-70% range at first, even if we used to get 80's and 90's at school.
I'm terrified coz my first assessment is due in a week. I have to summarise and critically analyse a 15 page journal article in 500 words. Have never done that before. I'm confident....confident that I'd be lucky to get 50%.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
High achiever that has never done bad on a test by the sounds of things...

good opportunity to meet with your tutor or lecturer to find out where you went wrong... good time to take inventory and learn from your mistakes :)

or, P's get degrees, so fuck it :haha:

generic advice to get a half decent mark it uni:
- ATBQ (I cop this one on my papers a lot) Answer The Bloody Question!
- Be concise!!!!!!!!! Stay on topic, be to the point; you can be as verbose as you want, if you don't cover the topic, you will do crap!
- Grammar, Spelling, Punctuation!!!
- Your referencing, if it is shit, you're probably throwing away 10-15 marks;
- Use reputable sources!

that's about it!

Last edited:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Keep things into a bit of perspective, what's the weighting of this assessment task?

hayleyemma96

HSC
Keep things into a bit of perspective, what's the weighting of this assessment task?
It's only 5% but I'm worried I'll continue to get these marks for the subject.
It's a horrible subject too, learning how to write a essay, but it's compulsory for business so I have to do it.
Only upside is that there's no exam for it.

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC
Don't be so worried about the marks- HSCs over

So long as you can pull a decent one before you're done with the subject you'll know you've done what you needed to and learnt what needed to be learnt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)