Bad Maths mark (1 Viewer)

sannous1

HSC
Hey everyone, about 2 days ago i had my maths half yearly exam , it was jst on basic arithmetic and quadratic polynomials and trig....anywayz i studied , like i new my work and everything, i went in their confident. I came out conifdent, sure there were a few tricki ones i culdnt do , but i calculated , and thought i did pretti well.

Well i2dai i got my mark bak i got 22/40, so disapointd i dnt noe how that happnd. From the 4 questions which contain a b c d , the first question is d easiest then 2 then 3 then 4 being the hardest..

For question 1 i got 4/10
question 2 i got 5/10
question 3 i got 8/10
question 4 i got 7/10

I dnt understand how i culd get the most difficult ones rite and d easiest ones i culdnt do, its soo weird.

Well just wanted to noe if thats weird what happened to me :(:angry:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I don't think it's anything to do with you knowing your work. Possibly you didn't check your work and your mistakes in the easier questions were due to silly mistakes?

undalay

HSC
Trust me when i say this.

You didn't know your work well enough.

Silly mistakes are a result of lack of practice.

dpospination

HSC
u said u got 22/40, but for each part given add up to 24, anyways, just keep revising and doing questions, u will improve

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
Haha, that might happen to me for my 2U test. I did the test, it was so easy, but now i realised i made a few careless errors, so i think i've wasted a few marks..., I know i lost a mark in locus, because when finding the focal length, I didn't factorise by completing the square resulting in what I believe to be the wrong answer, so I'm pretty sure I've lost a mark there, and in series, I found the a and the r for a G.P, but i'm so careless, i think i put (a-r),a,(a+r) instead of a/r, a, ar. That question was a bit weird, so I don't think many people even managed to find the value for r. :( So my maximum possible mark is 118/120, which is really bad because there are proberbly some other careless mistakes I made, which will push my mark down evern more. I hope it stays over 115/120 because thats proberbly 2nd place.

Last edited:
HSC
Uni Grad
My 2u mark was 30.5 / 36
and
My 3u 22 / 82
EPIC FAIL

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
don't just practice, keep going back to the concepts. You need to force yourself to be able to widen your application of the concepts, because there will be strange/different questions in the tests. If you only memorise the formular, and try and use it without understanding how it works, then you're not going to be able to solve it.

Keep going back to the concepts and make sure you understand them. 2U and 3U concepts aren't that difficult. :)

bored of sc

HSC
yeah, learn from your mistakes

maybe slow down in the test room, never be over-confident and always check your work

for the above there are particular ways you can do these effectively

for example, when checking (if you have time) - redo the question as if you have never seen it before - then match up this second answer to your first

and as for slowing down - do things the longer way IF it means less silly mistakes are the result :)

hope that makes sense and more importantly, HELPS

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
I'm always over confident. I guess that where my carelessness costs me my marks.

Don't be like me. Actually, be like me, just not the overconfidence part, although confidence is a good thing.

negativerootof2

HSC
haha, I don't think that getting the hard ones out but not the easy ones is weird, that is pretty much what happens to me all the time

I am just too bored to go over and check my work, and I race through the simple, easy but boring questions and spend lots of time on the more interesting harder ones. I never worry about silly mistakes though. (I should. I have a friend who always gets better marks than me, even though I am better at maths, because she checks her work. she does all the stuff bored of sc suggested, if that helps).

but yeah, I'm a concepts girl, if you get the concepts that is the most important thing, even if the marks aren't all that good I don't really care, as long as I "get" the concept on a profound level, silly mistakes don't concern me

mantiswhoprays

HSC
i always find that i get a sign wrong, or don't expand it fully through the brackets. it sucks mega time but i don't care cause i'm coming first. 4U has helped heaps with my algebra because that's all it practically is

HSC
word of advice...

if you are like me, and find do a maths exam makes you groan at the thought of checking it - get really really good at not making mistakes.

way to do this is to settle yourself before the exam and know the work inside and out.

maths isnt a hugely hard subject to ace. theres always a right answer.

im just lazy and maths is boring. so i dropped.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
Believe me I've failed my maths extension half yearly, I ran out of time! There wasnt enough time to do half the questions and whats worse is i looked back when there was like 1 minute to go and realised i had done the longest problem wrong from the start!!
It was a bad feeling... Hopefully I'll get marks for following the right method, it was a calculation error

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
Yea, i always try to finnish at least 10% ahead of what i'm supposed to take to finnish the test, incase i get stuck on a question. Like one where i do something stupid such as add instead of multiply in a geometric progression!! I did that in my last test! :( there goes my firstplace... lost 1 mark just like that! and the test was only out of 120! i swear firstplace is supposed to get fullmarks. :(

Annnaaa

HSC
omg dude wat r u stressn about lol !
i frieknn FAILED my maths exam n i usualy get in the 80/s 90/s
:( TOTALY SCREWEDDDDDDDDD
do u rekon i can still can a ban 6/5?

Choe88

HSC
Ofcourse u can.... anyone can.... u just gotta keep it up and try to get some good marks now

like i got 10 units and failed my first maths exam worth 15% and i got 23 %.... i felt so dam bad..... but after talking to some ppl u can still easily catch up

SO DONT STRESS AND WORK TO UR BEST!

bettina44

HSC
cheer up everyone has bad days!

on an another note some people in my ext class got really bad marks for their maths test-below 60% and that's just 2u.they were told that if they and everyone else didn't get 80%+ for the 2u and 70%+ for the 3u half yearlies they would get
a warning letter sent home,now i'm getting worried :bomb:

bored of sc

HSC
bettina44 said:
cheer up everyone has bad days!

on an another note some people in my ext class got really bad marks for their maths test-below 60% and that's just 2u.they were told that if they and everyone else didn't get 80%+ for the 2u and 70%+ for the 3u half yearlies they would get
a warning letter sent home,now i'm getting worried :bomb:
well at my school, the people who went really good in extension maths (80%ish/ ranked 1 and 2) went not as good in mathematics (60-70% ranked between 5-10)

and then another person went good in mathematics (rank 1 - 94%) went not so good in extension (rank 5 - 60%)

so yer, everyone has bad tests and all that kinda stuff

couldn't agree more

EDIT: THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE THE RIGHT TO DROP PEOPLE DUE TO MARKS, THERE ARE SO MANY FACTORS THAT AFFECT MARKS!!!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)