• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Bag snatch in Lakemba (2 Viewers)

mahuligan

HSC
Paralysed in bag snatch
By Kara Lawrence
25may05

A GRANDMOTHER pushing her three-year-old grandson in a pram may never walk again after a bagsnatcher stabbed her in the back and severed her spine.

Within minutes of the attack, the thief struck again, attacking an equally vulnerable young woman with a baby in a pram.
The family of the grandmother, 63-year-old Chryssi Kalkanis, yesterday made a plea for the attacker to be caught before he struck again.

Mrs Kalkanis' daughter, Maree Maddrell, said that when her father Peter told her her mother had been stabbed, she thought someone had tried to kidnap her three-year-son Alister.

"When I heard it was just a bagsnatching I thought it's a bit extreme. He's a bit of a coward if he had to actually knife a 63-year-old lady pushing a stroller to get a purse," Mrs Maddrell said yesterday.

The attack occurred on Monday about 12.10pm - just several doors from the Kalkanis' home in Croydon St at Lakemba in Sydney's western suburbs.

Mrs Kalkanis, who was babysitting Alister, had taken him to the local post office to pay some bills and was on her way home.

The boy was sleeping and Mrs Kalkanis' handbag, containing about $100, was attached to the stroller when the thief attacked from behind.

He tried to rip away the handbag and overturned the stroller.

The boy toppled out and suffered grazes to the side of his head.

During the struggle, the thief, described as Middle Eastern and aged 17 or 18, stabbed Mrs Kalkanis in the upper shoulder and the lower back with a small flick-knife or pen-knife.

Mrs Kalkanis fell to the ground screaming and the man fled empty-handed. Hotelier Con Ange came to her rescue, calling an ambulance.

"It was just sickening to see this woman there soaked in blood and the baby twisted in his collapsed stroller," Mr Ange said yesterday.

He said the victim was saying in Greek: "I've been stabbed, stabbed."

"She then asked how the baby was and I said he was fine, then said 'I can't feel my legs, I can't feel anything'."

Mrs Maddrell said doctors at St George hospital had warned her mother she may never walk again.

"She's in a serious condition. She's probably lost the use of her legs - both legs," she said.
how angry does things like this make you? how low would you have to be to try to mug an old woman with a pram...and now just for a few bucks shes crippled. When they said it happenned in lakemba i automatically assumed the criminal was middle eastern, definately not asian or white and two minutes later the news reader confirmed this by saying thats what he appeared to be.
is anyone else sick of the whole 'we're picked on' attitude coming from middle-eastern people? fair enough they arent all like this but if none of them were committing horrible crimes like these then they wouldnt be put on the news. :chainsaw:

by the way, do any of you think that by saying what nationality the criminals are it could incite racial hatred of that particular group? especially if several malicious crimes are related to them?
i wouldnt go as far as saying i hate them, but i do find that when i hear about certain crimes i automatically assume particular groups have done it

yes..sorry about the rant :vcross: im just getting a bit tired of the sympathy factor

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
nar
they probably said he was middle eastern just so ther is more chance of him being caught, i don;t think it had anything to do with insighting racial hatred.

but i agree that it makes me angry, the fact that poeple with those mindsets actually live in our country.
Its wat u get wen u get all the lefties protesting to get more refugees in :p

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
also on the topic,
i was in bondi jctn station yesterday on my way home and there was this very shifty dude with a big handbag scrumaging through it on the floor in the corner

looked SOO sus

transcendent

HSC
N/A
I call for public humiliation when he is caught. Tie him up to a pole so everyone can throw stuff at him.

Stating their appearence is neccessary for the offender to be caught.

mahuligan

HSC
gordo said:
also on the topic,
i was in bondi jctn station yesterday on my way home and there was this very shifty dude with a big handbag scrumaging through it on the floor in the corner

looked SOO sus
haha omg the other day at auburn there was a man crouching on the footpath looking through a bumbag...everyone was avoiding him by a 10 metre radius

imagine if it was the same person.

Edit: yeah thats what i initially thought when they said he was middleeastern...otherwise how else will he get caught. but do you think it could still possibly make people hate them? (more so). if a particular group of people are always on the news for bad crimes you'd kinda start to dislike them :p

Last edited:

Aznpsycho

Supplies!
HSC
N/A
You know, that Grandmother was greek, so that crime was hardly racially motivated. That's unremarkable, plenty of ethnic people hurt other ethnic people. The point is, just because a guy with dark skin mugs somebody doesn't mean that all people with dark skin go around mugging people.

It's a fact that poverty directly corresponds to crime. You find different problems in Blacktown that Manly. Lakemba is hardly a rich suburb, so that would be the case. And to the person bagging refugees, you have no case, as illegal immigrants are usually poor (good luck finding qualifications, my mum was an architect in China), and that can often lead to crime.

As for stating that the kid was middle eastern, that's a practical thing. It narrows down the suspects. Of course, that has to be done with the knowledge that not all middle eastern people mug old ladies.

Still, catching him won't do much good unless you rehabilitate him. We used to do that back 100 years ago as a deterrence factor. It didn't work for the simple reason that criminals do not factor in the consequences of being caught, only the risk of being caught. Therefore, we really have to have more social welfare programs in place to reduce this, as well as finding ways of creating employment in poor areas (welfare is useless).

mahuligan

HSC
no one said the crime was racially motivated or that all people with dark skin mug people?

my point is just that its annoying how particular social groups claim theyre picked on when theyre is valid reason for negative news coverage etc.

Suney_J

Not a member
HSC
mahuligan said:
no one said the crime was racially motivated or that all people with dark skin mug people?

my point is just that its annoying how particular social groups claim theyre picked on when theyre is valid reason for negative news coverage etc.
he was making a point

The media had a valid reason to state what he looked like, but they should do that for every other crime. But they dont, and thats why they feel they're getting picked on.

Someone else said the death penalty should be brought back for scum like this, and I agree. Let him die. This poor woman is going to spend the rest of her life in a wheel-chair.

Last edited:

Cooleroo

Banned
HSC
nothing more but arab/islamic scum.

good for nothing but trouble, they should all be sent home. stupid fucking cowards.

the world would be such a better place if these types didnt exist.

tempco

HSC
Cooleroo said:
nothing more but arab/islamic scum.

good for nothing but trouble, they should all be sent home. stupid fucking cowards.

the world would be such a better place if these types didnt exist.
hahahahahahahhahahahhahahahah, what a joke.

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
mahuligan said:
thought u said middle eastern

also lakemba and cabramatta are the no.1 spots for mugging

that is all/

tempco

HSC
belmore/punchbowl is so much more worse than lakemba, honestly.

mahuligan

HSC
haha yeah i did...i never knew that middle-eastern people we're darked skinned :p

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
I think it is totally horrible what happened to that poor old lady and I think that guy is a total coward but as some1 who has had their bag snatched I would say that it is easier to just hate people of that entire race or whatever. I mean I could say I hate all Aboriginal people but it's not going to get me anywhere. I had one bad experience with an Aboriginal person but I'm not going to be so presumptuous to say that all Aboriginals are like that.

The truth is that people who are white, black etc etc all commit crimes and I don't think that we should let them create a back steretype for those who are doing the right thing.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Sweets said:
I had one bad experience with an Aboriginal person but I'm not going to be so presumptuous to say that all Aboriginals are like that.
They are.

HSC
i can predict his exact excuse if/when he is caught:

'but tupac did it why cant iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii'

that really pisses me off though, why should other people suffer so these little boys can try live out their fantasy of changing colour.

middle-eastern boys are really relaly giving the races a very bad name, and then they complain that theres institutionlised discrimination when they go for jobs etc...pffft

'its coz im lebo hahahha omg im funny'

no faget it's coz ur black :rolleyes:

spell check

HSC
hiphophorray123 said:
i can predict his exact excuse if/when he is caught:

'but tupac did it why cant iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii'

that really pisses me off though, why should other people suffer so these little boys can try live out their fantasy of changing colour.

middle-eastern boys are really relaly giving the races a very bad name, and then they complain that theres institutionlised discrimination when they go for jobs etc...pffft

'its coz im lebo hahahha omg im funny'

no faget it's coz ur black :rolleyes:
have you ever considered the minute percentage of criminals who weren't influenced by tupac but rather by low socioeconomic status and often below average learning ability

just a theory

tattoodguy

yeah im fucking sick of middle easterners fucking complaining they are hard done by. There uncivilised pieces of shit, australia would be a much better country without them - its a generalisation but its the fucking truth.

They dont deserve to live in this country.

Our government let all these scum bags in and now we are paying the price.

We should have them deported along with our government.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)