• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Bag snatch in Lakemba (1 Viewer)

mahuligan

HSC
does anyone have one of those school subscribtions where you get one everyday?

i used to do that but then before i knew it i was swimming around it newspapers at home coz i thought id need them for my media legal file. i literally had piles and piles of them on top of my wardrobe. i decided to stop getting them after that :p

its alot easier to just read one of the copies in the library.

tattoodguy

wog boy - the community thing trying to rehabiliate people is goood. What i think could work would be that all non voilent crimes welll most of them.

they should be given a few chances - and like you can give them parole for like 5 years, or whatever, and if they get jobs, get educations and join community groups they can have their parole reduced.

Isnt jail meant to be as a last resort? yet petttty criminals are being thrown in there. Shouldnt we put a stop to this? what are you going to do about this?

Or like why cant we have more home detentions etc? We have the technology now and its cheap - so why isnt that being utilised?

your government is going to introduce mandatory sentencing - ur party is scum.
I think there was a dude who got sentenced to jail for life for stealing a piece of clothing in the NT. (how can u support brogdan - id rather the state was run by ivan milat)

Wheres the fucking justice.

punishments should fit the crime - 95% of criminals are treated way to harshly as it is.

do you agree with mandatory sentencing? Arnt u ashamed of that sort of policy? has any details of it beeen released?

how much do you want ppple to pay for their prison? give me ball park figures?

are you also pushing to increase prisoner compensation? and also giving people the ability to sue if they are remanded and lattter released after being found guilty?

The government just like individuals should be accountable.

Dont u think if you are the victim of crime you should be given alot of leniency - not that you have a right to commmit crimes, but it should play very heavily in relation to ur sentencing. Why dont u work that into ur agenda?

YOu seeem to think its funny and acceptable that politicians lie? company directers are thrown in jail for their lies in regards to investors and companies are prosecuted for lying to consumers.

A promise is a promise and our government should be made accountable.

even if they do a shit job - they still get paid etc - if you are incompetent and cause alot of problems etc while ur the minister u should be thrown in jail.

Alll politicians get is money and holidays - and when things go bad nothing happens. There should be more serious accountability.

do you have any policies that i would like?

I dont like ur pay for jail policy - its not reasonable - jail is the punishment and u shouldnt be punished twice.

thats like in china they execute you and then send ur family the bill for the bullet (alledgedly). i just think its a bit offf, its rubbing salt in someones wounds. people may have to commit more crimes to pay for their fines.

Your going to rehabilitate ppple by locking them and getting them raped and then when they are released making them selll their homes etc to pay for the costs of their jail.

Give people a fucking break.

Jonathan A

HSC
tattoodguy said:
wog boy - the community thing trying to rehabiliate people is goood. What i think could work would be that all non voilent crimes welll most of them.

they should be given a few chances - and like you can give them parole for like 5 years, or whatever, and if they get jobs, get educations and join community groups they can have their parole reduced.

I agree with some of the points you have made. Incentives to be law-abiding and be proactive is always a good thing.

Isnt jail meant to be as a last resort? yet petttty criminals are being thrown in there. Shouldnt we put a stop to this? what are you going to do about this?

When they first appear before courts, they are not thrown into gaol. They are given bonds, community work orders and the like. However many criminals (although petty) appear before the courts continuously and hence that is why they are put in gaol. Simply they have a bad record and the expectation in law and in society is incarceration for a small period.

However do note, that 70% of people who go before the courts on charges, never appear again.

As for what I would do, I would continue this. In fact I would more of a three-strikes-you're out person. However as I said earlier, an incentive should always exist for a person to take the good path to following the law. If you block that, then you might as well lock them up for life, because chances are when released they will be back again.

Or like why cant we have more home detentions etc? We have the technology now and its cheap - so why isnt that being utilised?

Does home detention achieve it's purpose? It's more expensive and gives people the luciries of their home. What if I was living in a mansion, is it fair if I have home detention compared to a person who lives in a 'dump'. What if I rent? is it fair to the landlord who has a contract to be subject to a market restriction.

your government is going to introduce mandatory sentencing - ur party is scum.
I think there was a dude who got sentenced to jail for life for stealing a piece of clothing in the NT. (how can u support brogdan - id rather the state was run by ivan milat)

Firstly, not everyone in the party is the same. My party believes in diverse opinion and we are one the few parties which allows its members to cross the floor in parliament if they please. The ALP pre-decides all its moves behind closed-doors.

You need to understand political parties aren't fixed, we have internal factions and we often disagree with each other. One barrister in my branch doesn't like mandatory detention and the party respects his views.

Carr already introduced mandatory sentencing laws to similar effect of what the liberals want. The only difference is they are more lenient (to the extent they have little effect).

I also stress (and this is a legal issue), Mandatory detention is different from Mandatory Minimum Sententing. The latter is what the liberals want. It means serious crimes have a mimimum sentence, it still gives a judge discretion and defences would still operate, however it stops judges from imposing lighter sentences. The policy oeprates in line with proposals and programmes promoting rehabilitation. So, it's different from NT. And the rubbish you heard about stealing bread carrying a life sentence is an indication of the propraganda floating around.

I ama against steep sentencing. because a person who gets the highest sentence for a small crime will commit other crimes to capitalise on his/her sentence.

Wheres the fucking justice.

It's not fully in place so you can't really use anything to back it up.

punishments should fit the crime - 95% of criminals are treated way to harshly as it is.

Source please?

And you will find the community believes 95% of criminals are treated too leniant.

do you agree with mandatory sentencing? Arnt u ashamed of that sort of policy? has any details of it beeen released?

I believe in minimum sentencing which is what brogden is trying to implement. I believe a judge should judge a crime on case-by-case issues and with the law. And a framework providing community with relief, allows for judicial review and at the same time adds to deterrence is a good idea.

how much do you want ppple to pay for their prison? give me ball park figures?

2 years ago the state paid over 60 million dollars for prison. It costs over $50,000 a year for imprisonment per capita. The proposal I put forth would seek a percentage, like the HECS system. It would be percentage based.

are you also pushing to increase prisoner compensation? and also giving people the ability to sue if they are remanded and lattter released after being found guilty?

DOesn't make sense what you said.

The government just like individuals should be accountable.

Well indiciduals don't have fiscal and monetary policy to deal with along with international affairs and the dealing of 21 million citizens.

Dont u think if you are the victim of crime you should be given alot of leniency - not that you have a right to commmit crimes, but it should play very heavily in relation to ur sentencing. Why dont u work that into ur agenda?

If you commit a crime in retaliation of being a victim then you are already given leniency. If your crime is motivated by chilhood deprivation and the like again the court may be more lenient.

YOu seeem to think its funny and acceptable that politicians lie? company directers are thrown in jail for their lies in regards to investors and companies are prosecuted for lying to consumers.

I don't think its acceptable for them to lie. Most don't or aren't given the oppurtunity. The company directors are gaoled for crimes including Fraud, politicians are also gaoled for fraud. Fraud needs a monetary subject, otherwise its not fraud. An election promise doesn't fall into this.

A promise is a promise and our government should be made accountable.

Politicians who act against the public can be voted out. We have elections for the Commonwealth every 3 years. Politicians who are corrupt are investigated and can be prosecuted (many are). THe Governor general can also sack politicians for acting against the constitution - has happened.

even if they do a shit job - they still get paid etc - if you are incompetent and cause alot of problems etc while ur the minister u should be thrown in jail.

You can be, but how do define incompetant. If you are an incompetant company director, you aren't automatically thrown in gaol.

Alll politicians get is money and holidays - and when things go bad nothing happens. There should be more serious accountability.

I can't dicuss this point. No facts, no evidence, just lifeless comments.

do you have any policies that i would like?

Probably not. Because commonsense and you don't see eye-to-eye.

I dont like ur pay for jail policy - its not reasonable - jail is the punishment and u shouldnt be punished twice.

It's an all-in-one package. If you don't want it, don't commit the crime. Crime requires a motive in general. It means you need to meditate that act. Think the other way and it wont happen.

thats like in china they execute you and then send ur family the bill for the bullet (alledgedly). i just think its a bit offf, its rubbing salt in someones wounds. people may have to commit more crimes to pay for their fines.

Again you completely forget my terms of the policy and so I cease this discussion on that point.

Your going to rehabilitate ppple by locking them and getting them raped and then when they are released making them selll their homes etc to pay for the costs of their jail.

You are a fool. I don't like people beiung raped in prison, and the government can be sued for it. I will not infringe people's right to sue for that. The reaosn they are sent there is not to be raped. I would like to see more emphasis in prison on working with prisoners, and rehabilitating them.

Give people a fucking break
I ditto the comment about you.

Question for you tattoodguy. At the age of around 24 years, what does a person like you do for a living? Furthermore what's your current status? I'd be curious as to know.

Suney_J

Not a member
HSC
funky_a said:
I think the whole mention of the guy being Middle Eastern shows racism to an extent; yeah it could help catch the a-hole, but then again Lakemba is bascially a Middle-Eastern dominant suburb anyway..
I dont see how it helps. So we're looking for a male of Middle-Eastern appearance from Lakemba, yeah that narrows it down :rolleyes:

But if the media honestly think it works then they should do it for EVERY crime. What about that home invasion in Mosman? Did the media even mention what he looked like?

tag.twix

HSC
Suney_J said:
I dont see how it helps. So we're looking for a male of Middle-Eastern appearance from Lakemba, yeah that narrows it down :rolleyes:

But if the media honestly think it works then they should do it for EVERY crime. What about that home invasion in Mosman? Did the media even mention what he looked like?
what someone else already said.. just having ''Lakemba'' in the article almost immediately whoever reads it will think lebanese... the media know that.. and they are just inciting social condemndation on the sub-group... its the same with asians.. remember the Market City thing.. its just the media prying on the societies views.. generallising one particular group... thats why i think there is racial segregation... what the media tells us about other races.. is what we believe... tahts why we hang around poeple who who are from the same racial background.. we just feel safer or we just feel like we belong..

bottom line.. media wrote it because it sells.. and it works with what we believe to be a social norm... and it sells.. most of us werent shocked or surprised it was a lebanaese person from lakemba.. mentioning the racial background of the individual in this case was to incite public hatred on the race ...

whatever shiet happens

sonnnyzm

Tattoed guy, how about you give everyone here a break and have a BIG warm CUP OF SHUT THE FUCK UP.
The majority of your posts comprise of utterly narrow minded senseless rubbish, I dont even know why you bother. You obviously need to look at the wider issue and think before you post.

tattoodguy

sonny shut up dip shit.

mr jonathan - currently bumming. i used to work finannce :) supposed to be doing masters atm but defering i done a half of it though.

trying to rehabilitate myself actually from my stabbing a couple of years ago.

But yeah should be alright i been going hard with phsio etc lately.

but yeah im not on the dole or nothing like that.

wog boy some of ur comments are rude. Please be more polite.

If i rape you in my house - the government will steal my house possibly. they will confiscate it. If someone is raped in jail the government shoudl have to give the jail to the criminal.

im exagerating etc, but like im pretty sure the limits prisoners can get are rather rediculous - theres a special law limiting their abilities to sue etc.

Which is unfair.

But murder for example - they want a minimum sentence for that. if its a random murder for no reason - i dont care what u do to that person.

but if that person killed someone in ur family etc or shot at u etc etc - u should get a petttty minor sentence if you retaliate and kill them.

Its just bad if someone gets a murder charge that theres alot of circumstances involved - im pretty sure like 80% of murders there is a great reason for.

I think murderers are hard done by - most of them.

Besides murders are going down etc - so if the current system is working - leave the system alone.

Tell me about ur incentive scheme dude? why dont u work on that? i would support that.

Whats ur 3 strikes theory?

do you think drug related crime is treated to harshly under the law? i do? any forts on that?

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Rofl, im suprised Kylie's butt hasnt gone solo yet

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
haha this thread is funny dude!

did anyone watch Oprah today ? ( TUESDAY)

it was all about criminal events and how eye witnessess are so unreliable. so they played a trick on the waiting audience where a crime was committed and all but 2 of the 20 witnesses described the guy behind the guy who did the crime and not the actual guy! the thing is that people use their emotions to describe events and not what they actually saw: so the guests on the show said to make sure that what you report is actually what you saw and not what you think you saw ( the witnesses said they saw the guy with long hair (he had short hair), blue shirt (it was black), white nike shoes (it was black boots)

lol, saying a guy is middle eastern is too big a generalisation in Lakemba!

Jonathan A

HSC
tattoodguy said:
sonny shut up dip shit.

mr jonathan - currently bumming. i used to work finannce :) supposed to be doing masters atm but defering i done a half of it though.

but yeah im not on the dole or nothing like that.
Well its good to hear you have aspirations.

wog boy some of ur comments are rude. Please be more polite.

Calling me wog boy isn't necessarily polite in itself.

If i rape you in my house - the government will steal my house possibly. they will confiscate it. If someone is raped in jail the government shoudl have to give the jail to the criminal.

The government dopn't take your house when you offend. Also the government has the power to take your house under s51 of the Constitution. In the commonwealth, you don't own your property, your own an interest, the land is always the property of the crown.

im exagerating etc, but like im pretty sure the limits prisoners can get are rather rediculous - theres a special law limiting their abilities to sue etc.Which is unfair.

There has been talk of restricting them, I think that is unfair. But there is a well established duty of care under the law between a gaoler and prisoner.

But murder for example - they want a minimum sentence for that. if its a random murder for no reason - i dont care what u do to that person. but if that person killed someone in ur family etc or shot at u etc etc - u should get a petttty minor sentence if you retaliate and kill them.

The latter situation you referred to is defence already. It wouldn't provide you a full defence, unless you could prove duress.

Its just bad if someone gets a murder charge that theres alot of circumstances involved - im pretty sure like 80% of murders there is a great reason for.

There is nothing in this policy to stop people with genuine defences from raising those defences.

I think murderers are hard done by - most of them.

They take away the life of another, not much can justify such an extremity.

Besides murders are going down etc - so if the current system is working - leave the system alone.

No, murders are constant. They are a crime that really can't be prevented with a plan for crimes such as theft. Many deep issues are involved in murder and it requires perhaps targeting social factors.

Tell me about ur incentive scheme dude? why dont u work on that? i would support that.

You just said you wouldn't support it because it was a double-punishment. Society has an expectation that prison will punish. I believe it should ALSO rehabilitate and provide the offender an option to seek a new clean path. A policy to do this would often mean that we would have to cut into the punishment aspect which is not going to happen. Instead we should add another burden to punishment, payment of that punishment. And we could lift that burden once a person makes it clear they are not going to be an offender any more.

Whats ur 3 strikes theory?

It's not my theory, it has been implemented in NYC and works well in many respects. It is, if you are caught three times committing a significant crime, you are sent to gaol, i think for life.

do you think drug related crime is treated to harshly under the law? i do? any forts on that?

I think its treated fairly, more obviously needs to be done. We shoudl attack suppliers, and encourage rehabilitation. The drug court is a good idea.

tattoodguy

You just said you wouldn't support it because it was a double-punishment. Society has an expectation that prison will punish. I believe it should ALSO rehabilitate and provide the offender an option to seek a new clean path. A policy to do this would often mean that we would have to cut into the punishment aspect which is not going to happen. Instead we should add another burden to punishment, payment of that punishment. And we could lift that burden once a person makes it clear they are not going to be an offender any more.

why do you say we cant cut peoples punishments. If you can rehabiliate people and help society - whos to say we cant do that?

I also read home detention is alot cheaper - not more expensive - maybe we need some economies of scale - but im sure it wouldnt take very much to make it a cheaper option.

I read murders are going down - i know ur a genius, but i think ur wrong there.

And the wog boy title - i say that with respect- so dont be offended.

Suney_J

Not a member
HSC
tattoodguy said:

out of curiosity what natio was the other guy?

Jonathan A

HSC
tattoodguy said:
why do you say we cant cut peoples punishments. If you can rehabiliate people and help society - whos to say we cant do that?
Our punishments are already seen as too low for many crimes. In order to have a good justice system, you need to engage the faith of the community.

I also read home detention is alot cheaper - not more expensive - maybe we need some economies of scale - but im sure it wouldnt take very much to make it a cheaper option.

The technology, duty of care to ensure safety, supervision and the like would cost more to run.

I read murders are going down - i know ur a genius, but i think ur wrong there.

I can confirm that 68 murders were reported to the NSW Police, this is a very low rating you are correct there. However it doesn't reflect government policy. Murders are not going to go down because more police are out there. Furthermore I would be concerned with plea bargains or manslaughter which might subsitute murder.

And the wog boy title - i say that with respect- so dont be offended.

How or why, not sure. But I'll accept it.

L

LaraB

Jonathan A said:
Firstly, not everyone in the party is the same. My party believes in diverse opinion and we are one the few parties which allows its members to cross the floor in parliament if they please. The ALP pre-decides all its moves behind closed-doors.
don't you think its a bit silly to say "not everyone is the same" to then go on and say "my party believes" blah balh blah when clearly, you aren't/cannot speak for everyone...especially as i mean...you're not exactly a leader of the party :p

that's just as bad as someone else making a mass generalisation bagging out the party.... you can't have it both ways... generalising liberals for certain things is just as valid as generalising ALP or greens or one nation or whatever for others...especially when its reflected in their policies...

just a thought....

L

LaraB

Jonathan A said:

The technology, duty of care to ensure safety, supervision and the like would cost more to run.
interesting thing i read in a magazine i was reading when i was waiting in a lawyers office this morning - avge cost of keeping ur average inmate in jail per year, that is not maximum security extreme violent type people, is $60K a year

the average cost of periodic detention is roughly $5-10K a year, depending on the crime etc

average cost of home detention is $40k a year...so its way less than jail...

didnt say where the source was...but since it was a legal practioners' magazine type thing im guessing its australia or nsw wide and its from a reputable source

they reckon the rate of recievidism (not sure if i spelt it right) is less for home detention too so its way more cost effective...

althouhg i guess depends on the categories of offences that qualify for each..but given the rate of re-offence etc seems home detention and periodic detention are more cost effective

there;s a lot of really interesting articles on this on links accessible via the NSW Law society site:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)