Balancing uni work, travel and social life (1 Viewer)

moocow920

HSC
After going to Sydney Uni Open Day on Saturday I have a much clearer understanding of the course I want to do, which is both good and terrifying.

If I get in (which I think I have a reasonable chance of doing), I will be at uni from between 8 and 9 until 5 five days a week except for every second day off, and will also have to travel 45 mins to an hour in each direction every day on bus and train. Timetable is set and you cannot choose any times at all, and it is a science based course. I will also be living at college and my self discipline is not exactly fantastic I get distracted really easily. I will also have to work part time.

I feel really overwhelmed with how I will possibly be able to manage everything and although I don't know if I will even get in yet I need to think about it now because this particular course starts on the 3rd of February so I will not have long to decide after offers in January.

Can anyone give any guidance on whether I should give up and aim for a less intense course instead? I don't have any family members at uni so I don't really know what kind of things you need to do on a day to day basis outside of classes, whether you take notes on laptop or handwrite, do you need to make constant notes throughout the semester like for HSC, anything like that. I just don't know how I will have time for everything, especially being at college, and I am terrified. Thanks to anyone that can help.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
After going to Sydney Uni Open Day on Saturday I have a much clearer understanding of the course I want to do, which is both good and terrifying.

If I get in (which I think I have a reasonable chance of doing), I will be at uni from between 8 and 9 until 5 five days a week except for every second day off, and will also have to travel 45 mins to an hour in each direction every day on bus and train. Timetable is set and you cannot choose any times at all, and it is a science based course. I will also be living at college and my self discipline is not exactly fantastic I get distracted really easily. I will also have to work part time.

I feel really overwhelmed with how I will possibly be able to manage everything and although I don't know if I will even get in yet I need to think about it now because this particular course starts on the 3rd of February so I will not have long to decide after offers in January.

Can anyone give any guidance on whether I should give up and aim for a less intense course instead? I don't have any family members at uni so I don't really know what kind of things you need to do on a day to day basis outside of classes, whether you take notes on laptop or handwrite, do you need to make constant notes throughout the semester like for HSC, anything like that. I just don't know how I will have time for everything, especially being at college, and I am terrified. Thanks to anyone that can help.
It's doable, but you MUST plan your time.

It is also important to know your limits. I spent the last two semesters either at work or at uni 7 days a week and (coupled with some other things) had a moderately severe breakdown towards the end of last semester which i am only now starting to properly recover from. There is only so much you can do, don't try to be superhuman, your health will suffer.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
What course are you doing? :) Also what college are you residing at, I'm confused how you have a commute if you live on campus? (PM me if you don't want to share on the forums)

And yes you will be busy, but ever heard that adage about giving a busy person something and they'll do it well? Yeah that. You always just have to prioritize. With your course being time intensive(I feel the hours as I am a science kid too), that's a priority you have to balance. You can't go to every social thing at the uni/college, nor any society and have to factor in work. It can be done, but you have to be choosy. And getting the balance right is hard in first sem where you don't have a crystal idea of the standards/work needed like you would of in HS.

But all doable, and you can be busy, but if you love your degree and love the social side of your life, it'll be rewarding.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I have a smiliar timetable during first semester and the first two weeks of second semester. The main thing is to take advantage of the first 3 weeks of the semester. Because from experience after week 4 there will be quite a few things going on and it becomes harder to catch up

Giving up your preferred course and changing a course that has less hours is silly unless it is affecting your health

Jinks

HSC
I have a smiliar timetable during first semester and the first two weeks of second semester. The main thing is to take advantage of the first 3 weeks of the semester. Because from experience after week 4 there will be quite a few things going on and it becomes harder to catch up

Giving up your preferred course and changing a course that has less hours is silly unless it is affecting your health
Sound advice!

moocow920

HSC
Thanks for the advice everyone, still a bit scared but I am sure other people have done it before. I want to do Bachelor of Oral Health (backup just Science) and do dentistry postgrad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)