• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Ban on Gay Marriage (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
How can you claim i hate gay people because i think something that they do is gross?

I think that hetro's having anal sex are gross too... that's their sexual urge, it's not mine tho so i feel it's gross..

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
Luke Bennet. On the issue of civil union. Gays should well know that the christians are never going to give up the word marriage. They should be happy with civil union.
Yes but then it segregates the two that is the main problem. And are you going to restrict civil unions to gays? So that non-religious straights must get married even though it has heavily religious implications.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Hmm as a few have discussed before, really the only way that will appease both, in that homosexuals aren't segregated, religious freaks don't have homosexuals married, is to rename everything to civil union, give marriage to the church. A marriage being a civil union sanctioned by the church and the ceremony in the church.

PhoenixBoy

i personally (as a gay man) dont see the problem with the term 'civil union'. its essentially a commitment ceremony, who cares about the religious aspect -- thats not the purpose of it.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
people do all sorts of things lol
Some people are into pain... doing pretty gross things to each others genitals...

Soha u lucky thing, not being exposed to this harsh world.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
oh well i never heard of that before
thats sick...im sure people do it
i heard there was pics of people eating shit on the net(noone post any please)
but as far as im concerned it doesnt happen..(atleast id like to think so)

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
no i need to be told what to do..when it comes to bos
im hopeless
i will just leave it
i have nothing to change it to neways
but yay..i have upgraded..

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
No you can't change it yet. Senior Member isn't near enough. You need 2000 posts, 200 days or 125 rep points. So you will be able to change it in a few months.

Anyway the problem with civil unions, is that it segregates gays and straights. How about we have a discrimination act for male's and one for females which say basically the same thing but worded differently.

All common law on marriages would not be applicable to civil unions.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
Xayma said:
Yes but then it segregates the two that is the main problem. And are you going to restrict civil unions to gays? So that non-religious straights must get married even though it has heavily religious implications.
i dont think it is so much the religiousness of marriage rather than marriage being defined as a union between a man and a woman as husband and wife. it would be a different thing if a man and a man or a woman and woman got married or had an official union.

the segregation already exists with gays being referred to as gays and people being grouped as heterosexual and homosexual.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Yes but if you have two bits of legislation for the marriage. Which will either result in it saying the civil union is exactly the same as marriage bar the name. Or family court rulings on the intepretation could be different for both, and common law different between them.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
Xayma said:
Yes but if you have two bits of legislation for the marriage. Which will either result in it saying the civil union is exactly the same as marriage bar the name. Or family court rulings on the intepretation could be different for both, and common law different between them.
i think it is the name which is most important in society at the moment.
marriage=union between man and a woman
x=union between a man and a man or woman and a woman

modelzsuck

Kylie
HSC
hmm, this is really interesting, i am doing how society reacts to homosexual couples for a research project for cafs and its interesting to follow this thread, i really dont think that there should be a problem with gay marriage, they love each other just as much as heterosexual couples, its who you are not what you are. and like someone else said if john howards children were gay hed have a whole different spin on it. who is it hurting if homosexual couples get married?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
re: rorix's post on the purpose of marriage

The Life of Brian said:
STAN: I want to be a woman. From now on, I want you all to call me 'Loretta'.
REG: What?!
LORETTA: It's my right as a man.
JUDITH: Well, why do you want to be Loretta, Stan?
LORETTA: I want to have babies.
REG: You want to have babies?!
LORETTA: It's every man's right to have babies if he wants them.
REG: But... you can't have babies.
LORETTA: Don't you oppress me.
REG: I'm not oppressing you, Stan. You haven't got a womb! Where's the foetus going to gestate?! You going to keep it in a box?!
LORETTA: [crying]
JUDITH: Here! I-- I've got an idea. Suppose you agree that he can't actually have babies, not having a womb, which is nobody's fault, not even the Romans', but that he can have the right to have babies.
FRANCIS: Good idea, Judith. We shall fight the oppressors for your right to have babies, brother. Sister. Sorry.
REG: What's the point?
FRANCIS: What?
REG: What's the point of fighting for his right to have babies when he can't have babies?!
FRANCIS: It is symbolic of our struggle against oppression.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)