• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Ban on Gay Marriage (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lengstar

HSC
This week's episode of South Park is good about 'oppression'.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
One of my gay colleagues actually opposes the idea of gay marriage, on the basis that it would encourage monogamy among the gay community.

Am I the only one who sees something wrong with this statement?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Phanatical said:
One of my gay colleagues actually opposes the idea of gay marriage, on the basis that it would encourage monogamy among the gay community.

Am I the only one who sees something wrong with this statement?
The main problem I see with that is that he wishes to stop other gays who wish to have a monogamous relationship from doing so.

There are some who are already in a monogamous relationship, and they just want the state to recognise their love as they do for straight people.

If it encourages others I see nothing wrong with it, but it isn't stopping others from having multiple partners.

malkin86

HSC
So, if you got married under the future same-sex marriage laws in Tassie (assuming they come in), would that marriage be valid throughout Australia, or would it depend on the state?

Jonathan A

HSC
Sabbo said:
I reckon they should have the right to get married. Who is the government to say that it is right or wrong?

Also I don't see why a gay couple shouldn't have the right to adopt children. It's not like all heterosexual couples are perfect parents.

Edit: Re-defined statement

Marriage is defined as the union between man and woman. The defintion is as clear cut as male and female. Changing the definition is like changing the defnition of a male to encompass women for the purposes of political correctness. It's just gone too far.

Heterosexuals may not be perfect parents, but the stigma, dissassociation and the potential backlash of gay parents adopting children certainly is something of major concern. I believe where possible, a child should the influences of a male and female parent in which they can adopt the social characteristics of each in accordance with their gender, call me a functionalist, but it's worked for thousands of years.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Jonathan A said:
I believe where possible, a child should the influences of a male and female parent in which they can adopt the social characteristics of each in accordance with their gender, call me a functionalist, but it's worked for thousands of years.
So you are for taking a child away from single parents and putting them in the hands of a couple in a relationship where possible?

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Xayma said:
So you are for taking a child away from single parents and putting them in the hands of a couple in a relationship where possible?
Beat me to it. :(

The world has changed, and constantly does rapidly. Same-sex couples exist, as they have for thousands of years. It's about time they're recognised and teated like their heterosexual counterparts, no?

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Gay marriages are fine, but gay couples having babies is bad.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I don't think they should be able to get married. And they should absolutely definately never be allowed to raise children.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)