Band 4 Standard English (1 Viewer)

Nikolerak

HSC
How hard/easy is to get Band 4 in Standard English? I am hoping to be ranked 10th -15th out of 115 by the end of the year.

studiesofboard

HSC
kinda easy but hard as hard work is required

some tips:
- try to make writing succinct not complex
- use tee tables and analyse the effect on the responder - technique, example and explain
- analyse techniques in detail but again make sure it is succinct
- seek feedback from teachers before submitting assignments - it will help make writing more sophisticated and could possibly score you extra marks

Nikolerak

HSC
kinda easy but hard as hard work is required

some tips:
- try to make writing succinct not complex
- use tee tables and analyse the effect on the responder - technique, example and explain
- analyse techniques in detail but again make sure it is succinct
- seek feedback from teachers before submitting assignments - it will help make writing more sophisticated and could possibly score you extra marks
Does sophisticated mean using 'fancy' words?

studiesofboard

HSC
Sophisticated means being to the point not blabbing but answering the question. Fancy words are useless as long as you answer the question and you are clear you're good.

Nikolerak

HSC
Sophisticated means being to the point not blabbing but answering the question. Fancy words are useless as long as you answer the question and you are clear you're good.
How many quotes per text should I memorise? If it's a film, would film techniques count as quotes/examples?

studiesofboard

HSC
Depends on how much body paragraphs you want to do each body should have two techniques max

Nikolerak

HSC
Only two???
Would you recommend 3 or 4 body paragraphs?

quickoats

HSC
Band 4 in standard should be relatively achievable - a few of my classmates got mid-band 4s without exerting themselves too much.

What you need to pass the band 3 hurdle is a knowledge of the text as a whole and what it’s trying to convey, rather than what specific quotes do. Often, standard students can get stuck with overanalysing quotes that they miss what the text is trying to convey (this is especially important in Module A).

Try to improve on your writing structure if you can, cohesiveness (even if simple PEEL structure) will be rewarded in the HSC.

If you want any more tips feel free to pm me. Although that website quoted above might be useful in terms of generic English tips, often these sorts of articles cater for the typical advanced English students. Focus on fundamentals first and you’ll find that you’ll be more comfortable with your texts and modules and that’s all you need to succeed!

Nikolerak

HSC
Band 4 in standard should be relatively achievable - a few of my classmates got mid-band 4s without exerting themselves too much.

What you need to pass the band 3 hurdle is a knowledge of the text as a whole and what it’s trying to convey, rather than what specific quotes do. Often, standard students can get stuck with overanalysing quotes that they miss what the text is trying to convey (this is especially important in Module A).

Try to improve on your writing structure if you can, cohesiveness (even if simple PEEL structure) will be rewarded in the HSC.

If you want any more tips feel free to pm me. Although that website quoted above might be useful in terms of generic English tips, often these sorts of articles cater for the typical advanced English students. Focus on fundamentals first and you’ll find that you’ll be more comfortable with your texts and modules and that’s all you need to succeed!
What band did you get?

studiesofboard

HSC
  • I also do English Standard and I have been doing two techniques always. If you want to have an extra techniques combine it into two. For example, the use of the Simile combined with the metaphor......

• For an assignment 4 body paragraphs but for an exam 3 due to time restrictions but three detailed paragraphs

quickoats

HSC
Only two???
Would you recommend 3 or 4 body paragraphs?
Depending on the module, I chose to do either 2, 3 or 4 depending on how I wanted to structure my arguments. There is no perfect number, but in a comparative essay, you’d want an even number (4 paragraphs like A B A B or 2 extended paragraphs like AB AB), and for Paper 1, you might have a bit more time so you could push for more paragraphs.

It’s not about finding a “recipe” that works, it’s about applying your knowledge and understanding developed through the year and conveying that in an essay form.

quickoats

HSC
Still a great achievement. What marks were you getting internally during Year 12 and what was your rank?
Year 11 Advanced was a flop - I started out with 53% on my first task, and averaged just over 60% at the end of the year - this was 100th/130ish. So I dropped to standard despite what everyone had to say (I went to a selective school so it was taboo) and it was probably the best choice for me.

In year 12 I had a 91% average with a 94/100 in my trials - this was 2nd out of about 25 - so a pretty decent improvement which was due to my attitude towards the subject mostly. I was more comfortable and willing to express my ideas and thoughts in standard as I wasn’t intimidated or overwhelmed by the texts.

That being said, I think my school marked easily in year 12 (especially with advanced - we were seeing some crazy high raw marks) as we had a new head teacher who tried to be encouraging rather than demeaning.

These raw marks don’t really mean much as they get moderated anyway. If you see that you’re steadily improving, that’s great!

Accurate

clix
HSC
Year 11 Advanced was a flop - I started out with 53% on my first task, and averaged just over 60% at the end of the year - this was 100th/130ish. So I dropped to standard despite what everyone had to say (I went to a selective school so it was taboo) and it was probably the best choice for me.

In year 12 I had a 91% average with a 94/100 in my trials - this was 2nd out of about 25 - so a pretty decent improvement which was due to my attitude towards the subject mostly. I was more comfortable and willing to express my ideas and thoughts in standard as I wasn’t intimidated or overwhelmed by the texts.

That being said, I think my school marked easily in year 12 (especially with advanced - we were seeing some crazy high raw marks) as we had a new head teacher who tried to be encouraging rather than demeaning.

These raw marks don’t really mean much as they get moderated anyway. If you see that you’re steadily improving, that’s great!
How come you didn't just stick with Adv, you probably would have got the same mark or higher

Nikolerak

HSC

What prescribed texts did you do?

quickoats

HSC
How come you didn't just stick with Adv, you probably would have got the same mark or higher
People who very well outperformed me in Advanced got lower HSC marks than me - reported standard marks and advanced marks scale the same i.e. an 85 in adv has the same effect on your ATAR as an 85 in std (note that alignment means that an adv student got a lower raw mark ~70s when the std student probably got ~82), so I definitely benefited from the switch.

I found from my peers that dropped to standard that it could work the other way - they ended up performing worse. These people either treated standard like a bludge rather than a proper subject, or they had issues with expressing higher level knowledge (very 11-12/20 writing) regardless of the texts, so they would’ve been better off with the alignment boost in advanced.

quickoats

HSC
What prescribed texts did you do?
Common Module: Waste Land (loved this documentary, still one of my faves)
Mod A: Contemporary Asian Australian Poets
Mod B: Curious Incident
Mod C: Pedestrian (Bradbury), Fringe Benefits of Failure (JK Rowling), Sporting Spirit (Orwell)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)