Band 6 - Advanced English (1 Viewer)

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Glitterfairy you always have an aura of optimism in all your posts :) I'm sure it instill confidence in many people :)

Now back to work.

Btw it's " boys' " ;)

HSC
N/A
Meh, spelling... *whistles*

I went insane last year thinking I'd fail almost everything and get a UAI of 62 and having to do Horticulture. And guess what! I'm not :D

I've been told before that my optimism is a little wacky, and may I assure you I'm not *always* optimistic - in fact I'm usually pretty realistic. Believe me, regardless of what your rankings are you still have a chance to redeem yourself. And once you've done your HSC, you'll realise just how much that little dark cloud of HSC pessimism affected you during the HSC.

It's really not as hard or bad as you think it is - I promise! Just keep on trucking. Read your texts, make some notes, do some practice essays :) And stay calm!

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
sikeveo said:
HGHS <> HBHS

Girls' schools are good at english, on the other hand boys' schools struggle.
which explains the pre-scaling..

Sepulchres

t3h sultan
HSC
glitterfairy said:
Homebush Boy's High School? I was performing there the other night...
You mean the performance night? I was there. However, I dont remeber any girls taking the stage other than a belly dancer. Was that you?!

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
Sepulchres said:
You mean the performance night? I was there. However, I dont remeber any girls taking the stage other than a belly dancer. Was that you?!
ha ha ha :p

HSC
N/A
Sepulchres said:
Yes it was :) I'm slightly pissed off that they didn't bother remembering my name, but I'm over it.

Please also be advised that I've been training since I was six, and my repetoire includes tap (state/national level), jazz, commercial funk, hiphop, lyrical jazz, theatre jazz (including Fosse style), contemporary, cross-training in classical ballet, 5 years of irish (3 at state/national level) and I start flamenco next week. I've travelled overseas to perform, and I also did my first professional dance gig last month (contemporary dance).

Jumping the gun (obviously), but whilst I do bellydance, it's not the only thing I do. And I still work hard at the bellydancing - it's a dance form, like all the others, and requires practice to gain improvement. Apologies for the rant, but I'm highly sensitive to anti-bellydance sentiments at the moment. We had things (yes, aside from nasty, degrading names) thrown at us recently. Not the most encouraging start to bellydance performances.

"Just because I have better hip isolation than you do doesn't give you the right to treat me in any way you choose with no regard to my personal feelings!"

*rant over*

HSC
N/A
lol not really - it's just that 90% of the time now, I get negative feedback simply because I bellydance, so I'm trying to pre-empt :) If I wasn't still so cut about it, I would have responded with another joke, as it is... :(

But anyway. Stay calm, work hard, and everyone will be fine for their HSC :)

HSC
N/A
no no! lol. I actually thought it was quite amusing, and if I wasn't so used to having things thrown at me I would have just taken it on board :)

The rant above is more for the benefit of anybody who saw me perform that night, or heard about it. It was a perfectly wholesome performance (used a veil, oh lord how I love working with veil, zills are absolute awesomeness as well) and I'm just doing everything I can to make sure that some of them recognise the fact that I do more than parade on a stage in skimpy outfits (or whatever the story turned into).

Back onto le english - you can use this above example of how a responder's personal context can affect their reading of a particular text (or text fragment). :)

Sepulchres

t3h sultan
HSC
The performance was actually one of the better ones on the night. I hung my head in shame during the rock/metal bands. Im usually a fan of rock but that was really really....

By the way, you look similiar to your av. lol.

HSC
N/A
Thank you :)

If anyone is reading this and fretting that it has degenerated into spamness, fear not! It has reached the level of "active productive spam" and can be used to facilitate open intellectual conversation... :p

For anyone wondering whether actually learning or rote-learning content for the exam is best, I strongly suggest you read the "English!!!!!" thread in the main Eng Adv forum if you haven't already.

speed2

HSC
glitterfairy said:
Uh, if you think 12 is bad, wait till you see some of my rankings. Ranks can mean squat, particularly if the marks are close together, and/or is your school does well as a whole.

I remember my Eng Adv rankings being somewhere around the 40 mark. I still got a band 6.
wat school did u go 2?

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
meLoncoLLie said:
Can more people who got band 6 last year please post up their raw assessment marks?
Why bother? You're all in different schools.

HSC
N/A
Moral support factor?

It would have helped my stress levels to go down last year if I knew that "low" ranking was still ok (most of my marks ended up getting scaled up 15/100 marks, anyway). That being said, please take note that scaling will affect schools differently!

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
supposedly all schools should be aiming to be marking to the same HSC standards, so there shouldn't (hopefully) be any great disparity between marks etc. anyway, like glitterfairy said, it's more of a comfort factor: a lot less stressful if you know people who have already done the HSC and got a good UAI without necessarily going in with the number one rank in their school for all subjects

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)