Band 6 Raw Marks (1 Viewer)

Zak Ambrose

Title Cost $20
HSC
hey, what are roughly the raw marks needed in the exam for a band 6?

gnrlies

HSC
Depends on how hard the actual exam is. Its all scaled to a bell curve so there is no point trying to guess these things.

Zak Ambrose

Title Cost $20
HSC
a very rough and general estimate is all i need. i trying to decide how much study time i give to modern and eco in the next few days.

gnrlies

HSC
well probably the most accurate estimate is the raw marks on a one to one basis.

I.e. 90+ / 100 is band 6 etc etc.

But this is misleading. I don't want to give the impression that you have to get 90/100 to get a band 6. But on average you would expect that this is the case.

For subjects like business studies which appear easier, they actually arent because although the questions arent as technical, they are marked harder to give the same level of difficulty as in economics. So to any student it should be just as hard to get the raw marks of 90/100 in economics as it is in business.

Subsequent scaling is just to counteract varying degrees of difficulty in the exam itself. So for four unit maths it would be unfair to give a student their raw mark considering the difficulty of the exam. But this is more a scaling of the exam rather than a scaling of the subject.

But seriously forget about it. At the margin, the HSC is meaningless. A student who gets 95 and a student who gets 96 have the same opportunities available to them in the grand scheme of things. I would even argue that a student who gets 85 and a student who gets 95 have the same opportunities available to them (although one may have to take a different path to get them). I know phd students who did poorly in their HSC. I also know poor university students who did well in the HSC. So it is no indicator of success.

Evertonian

HSC
well probably the most accurate estimate is the raw marks on a one to one basis.

I.e. 90+ / 100 is band 6 etc etc.

But this is misleading. I don't want to give the impression that you have to get 90/100 to get a band 6. But on average you would expect that this is the case.

For subjects like business studies which appear easier, they actually arent because although the questions arent as technical, they are marked harder to give the same level of difficulty as in economics. So to any student it should be just as hard to get the raw marks of 90/100 in economics as it is in business.

Subsequent scaling is just to counteract varying degrees of difficulty in the exam itself. So for four unit maths it would be unfair to give a student their raw mark considering the difficulty of the exam. But this is more a scaling of the exam rather than a scaling of the subject.

But seriously forget about it. At the margin, the hsc is meaningless. A student who gets 95 and a student who gets 96 have the same opportunities available to them in the grand scheme of things. I would even argue that a student who gets 85 and a student who gets 95 have the same opportunities available to them (although one may have to take a different path to get them). I know phd students who did poorly in their hsc. I also know poor university students who did well in the hsc. So it is no indicator of success.
+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Benskies

HSC
itd be ROUGHLY 84-87, depending on the difficulty of the exam. but its extremely unlikely that you'll need a 90+ for a band 6.

teagan101

HSC
My teacher is a hsc marker and he said for the past few years band 6 cut off has been around 83

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)