band cut offs (1 Viewer)

absorber

HSC
*sigh*...

Everything scales down from UAC. They use scaing to make the aggregate /500 for an ATAR. Only MX1 and MX2, distinction courses and some languages stay stable or go up. Everything will basically align up though. Aligning is the mark you receive on the HSC report from the Board of Studies.

You'd think of all places, people would know the difference.
Nobody understands the difference between aligning and scaling, everyone just presumes scaling = aligning

Fluorescent

Banned
HSC
Ok I'm a dumbass and the HSC system doesn't make sense to me but I'd really appreciate if someone clears this up for me

I think If I had to guess I got around mid band 5 in my internal

For the external its pretty likely I'll get a low band 4..

If I do extremely shitty in my external compared to my internal, will they, as my sister says, disregard my band 5 and take my band 4 instead of averaging them?

Thanks and sorry D:

absorber

HSC
Ok I'm a dumbass and the HSC system doesn't make sense to me but I'd really appreciate if someone clears this up for me

I think If I had to guess I got around mid band 5 in my internal

For the external its pretty likely I'll get a low band 4..

If I do extremely shitty in my external compared to my internal, will they, as my sister says, disregard my band 5 and take my band 4 instead of averaging them?

Thanks and sorry D:
Nope, unless you have like a huge gap which suggests cheating or something internally, I'm pretty sure they'll average them

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Your internal marks mean nothing - the BOS simply apply the rank gaps to the external marks that the class gets... they try to keep them as close as possible... :)

You could get 95 internally and then everyone in the class could only get 30/100 on the externals... You'd get the top mark as your moderated internal mark and then keep your own external exam mark. But look how crappy the marks are now... in the 30s.

Thus, your marks mean nothing.

shady145

Banned
HSC
This is exactly what makes the paper harder. Having questions that were so practical... I'm an accelerant and doing MX2 now and even that parabola roller coaster question initially threw me off and then I came back to it. The test felt a lot longer for me as I didn't get to answer the second part to this question >_<
sorry aqua, i think corey is correct... perhaps its because we have had an extra year to prepare for it XD

Fluorescent

Banned
HSC
Nope, unless you have like a huge gap which suggests cheating or something internally, I'm pretty sure they'll average them
How big of a gap are we talking? Cause Im gonna guess mine is huge

Your internal marks mean nothing - the BOS simply apply the rank gaps to the external marks that the class gets... they try to keep them as close as possible... :)

You could get 95 internally and then everyone in the class could only get 30/100 on the externals... You'd get the top mark as your moderated internal mark and then keep your own external exam mark. But look how crappy the marks are now... in the 30s.

Thus, your marks mean nothing.
Fair enough D:

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
How big of a gap are we talking? Cause Im gonna guess mine is huge

Fair enough D:
I imagine that the BOS takes into account instances where there are outliers in certain classes. This has been occurring all in the preliminary year with my class in Physics and Chemistry. I had a gap from 2nd by about 15-20% which is massive!! I am hoping that the rest of the class will pick up their game, but I think BOS applies outlier and statistics stuff to the moderating process to ensure people aren't affected that much.

shady145

Banned
HSC
I imagine that the BOS takes into account instances where there are outliers in certain classes. This has been occurring all in the preliminary year with my class in Physics and Chemistry. I had a gap from 2nd by about 15-20% which is massive!! I am hoping that the rest of the class will pick up their game, but I think BOS applies outlier and statistics stuff to the moderating process to ensure people aren't affected that much.
yea my business teacher told us they consider outliers in the process

Venom.

HSC
There's too many Rusian-esque kids on this forum.

Like Corey said, the test was different this year, it would've thrown off literally thousands of kids, including nearly all of the grade at my selective high school. Just wait for results, everyone will do better than they thought (except maybe those expecting 117+)

zazzy1234

Banned
HSC
There's too many Rusian-esque kids on this forum.

Like Corey said, the test was different this year, it would've thrown off literally thousands of kids, including nearly all of the grade at my selective high school. Just wait for results, everyone will do better than they thought (except maybe those expecting 117+)
i hope sooooooooooo ><"

math man

HSC
N/A
in mi 3u class i came first by 28%, i no the rest if the class was hopeless, will that effect what i receive

math man

HSC
N/A
hmmm well i shoulda ripped this test hard, but i think i needed some ventolin cause i reckon i choked

HSC
you guys are a bunch of nutcases. That was a hard test, i wouldnt be surprised if the cutoff was a good 2 or 3 marks lower than 2003. Don't stress o9 maths failers, there's alot of people in the same boat.

:party:
+ 1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)