BAppFin (major in economics)... (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey guys, I haven't done economics in year 11 or 12, (but did business studies upto trials) and as well as my own interest in marketing/finance/economics, I wish to do this course, my sister told me its a great course? she hasn't done it but im assuming she's done some research

anyone here got some feedback on this particular course and its workings (I've only done general maths), also students feedback on macquarie uni itself (I did read along the site ;D)

thanks in advance

ND

HSC
Don't worry about not having done econ in high school. If you're going to do straight finance though (i.e. BApplFin), i would go to a different uni, cos the finance department at mac is pretty dodgy from my experience.

CrashOveride

HSC
Your only setback is that finance at better unis like unsw or usyd have much higher uai requirements.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
As CrashOveride said unsw and syd have higher requirements...im not exactly sure but because your doing General Maths you may have to do a maths subject in 1st semester...

In regards to your sig: dont worry about that predicted uai thing...i bet u just put ur assessment marks straight into SAM :p It doesnt work like that...

If your target UAI is 95+ and assuming you reach this target, why not consider a double degree? AppFin/LLB, AppFin/Eco, AppFin/Accg etc

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
wait can u major in economics in app fin?? i thought its just app fin

X

xeuyrawp

Casmira said:
Hey guys, I haven't done economics in year 11 or 12, (but did business studies upto trials) and as well as my own interest in marketing/finance/economics, I wish to do this course, my sister told me its a great course? she hasn't done it but im assuming she's done some research

anyone here got some feedback on this particular course and its workings (I've only done general maths), also students feedback on macquarie uni itself (I did read along the site ;D)

thanks in advance
You want to do subjects with names such as 'Quantitative Methods for Asset Liability Management ' and 'Financial Econometrics', and you can only handle general maths and no economics...?

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
doesn matter if u havent done eco before...

i never did eco i just did maths/science/eng and i do commerce

X

xeuyrawp

:: ryan.cck :: said:
doesn matter if u havent done eco before...

i never did eco i just did maths/science/eng and i do commerce
I would forward that you being a very sciency-mathy person would help a lot with Finance and other math related stuff

ND

HSC
I'm only second year (and am currently taking a 300 level finance unit), but nothing so far has required anything taught in maths past year ten. There hasn't even been any calculus.

But i'm sure that a more rigorous finance course would require more maths knowledge.

edit: i'm of course referring only to the finance part of my degree.

HSC
in regards to my sig, they where only half yearlys and my ranks where pretty dodgy, so far it seems im top 5 in all my subjects except chemistry(12th :()

i'll probably put economics/commerce down for Usyd/UTS/UNSW but which has the best facilities? I'll put macquarie there somewhere

also I dont even have my L's and im on illawarra line (around hurstville station), getting to macquarie uni is difficult?

in regards to maths I don't mind bridging anywhere upto extension 2 maths im willing to learn (during summer or during uni)

thanks for the responses guys :D

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
* It would seem that most Macquarie subjects don't require a great deal of maths which is probably the main weakness its subjects. Besides reputation (which isn't as good as USyd or UNSW), the teaching is probably on par, if you check out threads about Commerce teaching in other forums, the other unis aren't much better.

* Applied finance is for those interested in (investment) banking, and the sort.

* Can you major in economics with App Fin?

HSC
as far as I know you can, its an extra year however (an an additional 1 uai WHOA!)

one question, lets assume i do BAppFin 89.05 UAI, and I get like 92 or something UAI and make it in no problems, could i decide even 1 year, 2 years into my course to do the major? or is it once i've chosen to do just BAppFin thats it? (assuming I got a high enough UAI to make it into the major)

(sorry if i got something wrong here only now im see'ing as how to uni's work)

X

xeuyrawp

~ForAGoodCause~ said:
i think ur talking about the double degree of appfin + eco (4 yrs)

you dont have majors within applied finance ...
I was about to say that. This page shows that you can do 24 CPs worth of electives in the BAppFin, but they wouldn't constitute a major. I think to do a significant amount of Ecos, you need to do the combined Eco AppFin degree.

Tabris

HSC
I am first year Appfi/eco

U really really really want to do it?

FIrstly, if u want a major in economics

do a B arts - Economics

I would recommend this

but if u like other commerce stuff, do a B Com - Economics

I like to warn u, the maths aint over the top, but if u havent done 2u, it might get alot difficult as alot of finance stuff and its basics is extended from yr 12 2u

ALso u need to do accg100 or 105. boring (read my post from other thread)

U also need to do statistics - boring u need to do ECON110 - which is ok, considering u dont need HSC eco, but it does help to have eco.

DO arts if u ahve some interests in other areas, if its all commerce than do B com - economics

U want some feedback

lecturers are excellent

tutors (from my view) are ok/crap, since its ECFS, expect azn tutes whose doing MAsters etc and their english is at times poor, but mostly ok

lets see...

the learning environment???

lots of competition, lots asians in ECFS

the actual physical environment is ok , the EFCs dept gets the new buildings next year, and cross your fingers u dont get a room in W5C....

lets see, anything else missing....

Marks and grades arnt over the top....credits are easy but D needs abit work to get to....(thats subjective BTW)

Tabris

HSC
on illawarra line?

ah crap... well aint that crap

i am on east hills line

anyway heres what u do

The fastest way to get to Macq from where u are is this,

Catch train from hurstville to redfern/centrel

catch train from their to epping....u catch the NORTHERN LINE VIA STRATHFIELD, otherwise its a long loop

alright, get off at epping and catch a bus

takes me 1:30 to get there every day, thats 3 hrs two way

wanna drive?

traffic is shit in morning unless u start late and finish late

u have to got hrough the busiest roads, epping road, homebush drive lan cove road...

if ur gonna drive through city, it aint worth it

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Tabris said:
lots of competition, lots asians in ECFS
*gasp* =p

Casmira said:
as far as I know you can, its an extra year however (an an additional 1 uai WHOA!)

one question, lets assume i do BAppFin 89.05 UAI, and I get like 92 or something UAI and make it in no problems, could i decide even 1 year, 2 years into my course to do the major? or is it once i've chosen to do just BAppFin thats it? (assuming I got a high enough UAI to make it into the major)

(sorry if i got something wrong here only now im see'ing as how to uni's work)
Majors are for generic degrees, eg. Commerce, Science or Arts. If you do a particular degree like BAppFin - that is your "major". Similarly with BEc except you can choose between Economics and Econometrics.

So in short, if you've chosen BAppFin you're stuck with it. However, most of your credits will be transferable to most BCom or BEc degrees because of the generic first year programs where you do a bit of Accounting (100 and 101 or 105, Economics (110 and 111), Statistics (170), etc. So if you find BAppFin or BEc not to your liking you could easily transfer (provided you pass everything) within ECFS (Economics and Financial Studies) and finish as though you started your degree in something else (you may have fewer electives).

Last edited:
HSC
Hmm I should stick with just a 3 year course for now ... its just going to be so difficult to get there :(

X

xeuyrawp

Tabris said:
on illawarra line?

ah crap... well aint that crap

i am on east hills line

anyway heres what u do

The fastest way to get to Macq from where u are is this,

Catch train from hurstville to redfern/centrel

catch train from their to epping....u catch the NORTHERN LINE VIA STRATHFIELD, otherwise its a long loop

alright, get off at epping and catch a bus

takes me 1:30 to get there every day, thats 3 hrs two way

wanna drive?

traffic is shit in morning unless u start late and finish late

u have to got hrough the busiest roads, epping road, homebush drive lan cove road...

if ur gonna drive through city, it aint worth it

Non sequitur?

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
actually...most first yr com, fin, eco, accg doing the same subjects...:p
and as Tabris said...it's kinda of boring *esp econ...but not ACCG :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)