BCom/BEc majors (1 Viewer)

BoredDude

HSC
N/A
Hey,

When doing the dual degree BCom/BEc, do you get to select 2 majors from commerce and 1 major from ecos, or do you only get to choose one from each? I've always thought it was 2 from comm and 1 from ecos but then I read the UNSW handbook and it states:

Major requirements Students are to complete at least one major from Economics, Econometrics and Financial Economics, AND one major offered under the Bachelor of Commerce (Please refer to Table B for approved majors).

So can anyone clarify this for me?

Thanks.

muzeikchun852

HSC
Not anymore. they changed the course outline this year and the ASB only allows one commerce major in combined/concurrent degrees.

garrry

HSC
Are students that enrolled into BCom/BEc in 2010 allowed to do 2 Comm majors ?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Guys, you know the Handbook is your friend.

"Students are to complete at least one major from Economics, Econometrics and Financial Economics, AND one major offered under the Bachelor of Commerce"

So you complete one Economics major and one Commerce major. Simple.

And garrry, yes they can.

stevey6404

HSC
Shadowdude,

I don't get it why they won't allow 2 commerce majors. Isn't the course structure (192UOC) the same as before where they allowed 2 commerce majors + 1 economics major?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
They change degree rules every year. They decided that for those starting Comm/Ec in 2012, they would only allow a major from each.

That's how it is, and I have no idea why.

stevey6404

HSC
Damn...I'll ask them directly I guess cause I want to do 2 comm majors...

I quickly just did a hypothetical 4 year course structure, majoring in any of the economics major but specifically in accounting and finance, and it satisfied both the economics component (min 84UOC) and commerce component (remaining UOC = 108), allowing me to graduate as combined but 3 majors..weird.

It's different from other majors cause, like marketing and IT, cause core courses don't have any of their required courses for majors, compared to acct and fins where first year allows you to complete 2 of required 8 courses...-shrugs-

wantingtoknow

HSC
N/A
hmm, the handbook is not very clear as always. when I read the line :
Students are to complete at least one major from Economics, Econometrics and Financial Economics, AND one major offered under the Bachelor of Commerce (Please refer to Table B for approved majors).

I interpreted it as you have to have at least one comm major and one eco major, but if you wish to you're able to complete another major.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
It says "At least one major from..." wait, so I think I could be wrong.

For example, any Economics major is 60 uoc. So having a double major would mean 120 uoc. Umm, the handbook is vague... but still, I think it's mathematically possible. You have your two Econ majors worth 120 uoc, and then your Commerce major worth like 48, so that's 168.

Hmm, wait, retract what I said - it's probably possible to take two Econ majors. But from what I read, you are only allowed one Commerce major.

D94

HSC
N/A
I think (but not to give false hope) someone else also had this question in another thread. They called and said it's possible, but you "may" be required to do a summer session or something of that sort. Call UNSW up and see what they say.

mash121

HSC
if u can fit it in then u can do it,

well there are 9 core courses u must do, 3 flexible courses u can pick from, assuming u pick the right flexible then u have to only do 7 additional commerce electives to get a major or 8 commerce all up to get a major and u need 6 more to get an economics/econometrics/ finacial econ major also u have to do 2 gen ed.

9+3+7+7+6+2=34 meaning u got to overload or go summer school for 2 courses, nb. it could be more or less depending on what major u pick eg. accounting would be 1 overload

o yeah also u can take 2 econ majors in 4 years with out overloading or summerschool

Last edited:

mash121

HSC
pre 2012 u only needed 7 courses to get a major now u need 8 courses thats y u cant do 3 majors in 4 years

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Shadowdude,

I don't get it why they won't allow 2 commerce majors. Isn't the course structure (192UOC) the same as before where they allowed 2 commerce majors + 1 economics major?
Well. If you are allowed to do an Economics major and 2 Commerce majors - it would defeat the purpose of the Commerce course. People will get lower ATARs and have the flexibility of more choices. Sounds just to me.

wantingtoknow

HSC
N/A
Well. If you are allowed to do an Economics major and 2 Commerce majors - it would defeat the purpose of the Commerce course. People will get lower ATARs and have the flexibility of more choices. Sounds just to me.
? it requires the same atar to get into a normal comm course. I know for a fact that a lot of people like to complete 3 majors under comm, and therefore are only able to do so through a comm/eco degree

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh right nevermind. I misread and thought OP wrote straight Eco degree with 1 economic major and 2 commerce major. My bad.

BoredDude

HSC
N/A
Since I've got you guys here, what public transport passes should I get if I am catching a train to Central from Strat then catching a bus to UNSW from Eddy Ave? Do people usually buy weekly concession MyMulti2s?

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Since I've got you guys here, what public transport passes should I get if I am catching a train to Central from Strat then catching a bus to UNSW from Eddy Ave? Do people usually buy weekly concession MyMulti2s?
yes mymulti2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)