• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Beijing Olympics 2008 Discussion Thread (2 Viewers)

akrinis

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
I disagree. From what I saw I think they were very, very easy on them. I saw a little bit of criticism about crowds and lack of atmosphere, but if it was any other country they would of got it much worse.
Not my words, but the below sums up my view:

Every country controls their people to some degree. It's called social engineering. Even the USA with its democracy does. They just use softer approach e.g. manipulation through distorted media information. Don't make this sounds like the worst crime against humanity.
The sad truth is that this WILL still happen in China, AND in the US anywhere else. When the media doesn't care anymore, it'll continue to happen in smaller-scale events. Just because of the superficial nature of humans and the hypocrisy of everything. You think the media genuinely cares about this girl and her well-being? It'll be forgotten after the Olympics are done, except to use against China again in some "communist China has ill human rights" debate. Do they have some right? Sure, it wasn't necessarily a good move by the gov/organizers. But I'm finding it amusing that everyone thinks this is about the human interest side. Because it's not and totally not about wanting to change for a brighter future".

Tibet was red-hot in February/March. Funny, the reporters don't seem to care so much anymore. After the media is done with using her as a pawn in their arguments, she'll be tossed out and forgotten.
I think people are bashing China because it's the Olympics and because they can. China has a long way to go, but that doesn't mean the U.S and other parts of the world are completely innocent of human rights abuse either.

ashik1

HSC
sf_diegoxrock said:
+1 Keating

TodayTonight should've been put on hold like the rest of ch7 programs during the Olympics. All their 'reports' over the past 2 weeks were ignorant attacks on China. There are too many to recall but I do remember them having an "expert" *cough* say "the opening ceremony was faked, like everything in China, why bother with the closing ceremony?"

Lol @ SMH's "shock revelation" at the Sydney olympic fake Orchestra
Beijing olympics will be remembered for Phelps & Bolt. Phelps has declared that the 2012 olympics will be his last and also said that he doesn't wanna do the 400IM anymore. He wants to do the 100m(shame he pulled out of it- woulda been 9 golds...) and 200m backstrokes, and 400m freestyle. So we may may see a 10 gold medal haul at London in 2012... It'll be amazing if it happens

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
The reason why this Olympics is shit it's because we came 6th in the medal tally, Britain ABOVE US!! :apig:

& They had 3 countries come in as one. Scotland and Wales.

ratcher0071

HSC
Is the Beijing Olympics memorable to all? I don't think it was as memorable because of the drama with the opening ceremony, and the pollution.:cold:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
not the paralympics. wheelchair rugby was orsum yestergay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)