Belonging Creative Writing Ideas (1 Viewer)

abbey91

Boarder from waggga wagga, living in glebe, sydney
HSC
basically- i know this is cliche- but i've always been toldd to write about what you know or experience....although it might not always seem interesting- the marks in creative writing are rarely in the overall complexity of the idea...but in the detail and language of how you write about the incident- no matter how trivial or complex it is...

i love the idea of the whole giving birth...from the view of the baby....
i think it would be a very interesting piece of writing to read...

i'm a bit stuck for something original to write about so i think i'll just write about a forced distancing from a familiar setting....any one else have any better ideas?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
SharaJayadevan said:
omg DO NOT ANALYSE A FILM.

this is becoz teachers look at it as an "easy way out" and it significantly influences their marking

the best related materials would be critiques, peoms, novels, and articles
I hate to go off topic, but films aren't the easy way out. Films can be very complex and deep, and seem extremely difficult when compared to something like a Leunig cartoon.

Mrs-Darcy

HSC
abbey91 said:
i love the idea of the whole giving birth...from the view of the baby....
i think it would be a very interesting piece of writing to read...

quote]

Interesting perhaps.. Possibly gross too lol

georgefren

HSC
true, that would be a good read. if you can find a way not to make it too gross out.

i dont know what to do for belonging. perhaps a first day at school in kindergarten - cliched, yes, but cliches are in the language: and it'll be written stream of consciousness (as i always do) from the kids perspective. From like a 5 year old perspective would be SO cool.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Creative writing ideas

I am sorry if this thread is repetitive.

Please merge the thread if my thread's topic is simlar to others...

I am currently looking for some good ideas about creative writing task.

I am completley aware that it needs to be unique and everything. But I am sure you guys will help trigger my brain for new ideas.

Thanks in advance

shoutoutloud

HSC
Re: Creative writing ideas

lyounamu said:
I am sorry if this thread is repetitive.

Please merge the thread if my thread's topic is simlar to others...

I am currently looking for some good ideas about creative writing task.

I am completley aware that it needs to be unique and everything. But I am sure you guys will help trigger my brain for new ideas.

Thanks in advance
My Teacher told us not to write about the usual topics (death,rape, love, etc) and try writting a story that envolves arounnd a subject u study so that you have knowlege in what your talking about
Hope this helpt

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC

First of all, consider the authors of the books you like to read. What kind of styles do they write in and what genre usually?
That's always the best place to start.
Next you have to work out what you think makes an interesting story. Develop one or two main characters.
With that you can probably start.

My English teacher told us that when students write you can see almost always who they are influenced by so I suppose that's where using your favourite authors as inspiration comes in.

I would also suggest you pick a good quote from one of the texts you're studying. That's sort of like a starting point and it's what they'll do in the HSC.
In class we were given this quote:
“Our lives are constantly vulnerable to good and ill fortune. In a moment you could lose everything that makes your life make sense.”
Raimond Gaita.

I know it's not an idea as such, but it's what we were told and as soon as I was told this I had ideas swimming about in my mind like it was the Olympics all over again. It's hard to tell someone what to write about because I feel like they sort of need to develop a story themselves so they find it more interesting for them to write about.

So yeah, it's pretty much
  • Authors you like
  • Books you like
  • Genres you like
  • Topics that interest you
  • A good starting quote
Then you're all set really.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

Wow, so quick!!

Thanks guys for all the stuff!!! It will really help me!!!

BTW, if anyone has different idea, you are welcome to post!! (Pleast post!)

@Scissors: That's old...really old. I still prefer youngminii's one though (original and more unique). :rofl:

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC

Read Frank McCourts book, "Teacher Man"

If he isn't an example of creative writing, I don't know what is.

dp624

HSC

Well it's not so wise to post ideas on a forum such as this, because if it's good then everyone will flock to it hahah.
Perhaps you could make a mindmap of the word belonging and using a thesaurus to branch out. Then you can combine 3 random words from different 'tiers' to try to come up with an idea.

For journeys, which I did, I think that the best stories come from slightly cliched ideas but with a small twist. You'll need to HAMMER the concept of belonging across... weave it in and out of your story. Meanwhile, you need to keep it open to adaptation to pretty much any question..

GL. I might PM you my story for journeys if you want, but it's probably not as relevant.

The Kaiser

HSC

Creative Writing is all about your understasnding and personal reflection of the module at hand, converted into in a specific text type. I can't really suggest any Idea which isn't generic (Time travel?). If your text type is set (say a narrative/short story), then when you are creating your characters, consider what kind of belonging that character/s will experience, how it affects his/her psyche, what kind of affect that belonging/not belonging to a particular group/society, and realistically describe these emotions. Dare to think 'outside the box', (don't just write about some guy being rejected and feeling bad), Teachers award marks for intititive, creativity and use of language.

Consider genre, setting, atmosphere and follow the conventions of a narrative/text type you're given.

You may also consider other text types if your allowed to, such as journal entries, speech, feature article etc. Read lots, Write lots.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

dp624 said:
Well it's not so wise to post ideas on a forum such as this, because if it's good then everyone will flock to it hahah.
Perhaps you could make a mindmap of the word belonging and using a thesaurus to branch out. Then you can combine 3 random words from different 'tiers' to try to come up with an idea.

For journeys, which I did, I think that the best stories come from slightly cliched ideas but with a small twist. You'll need to HAMMER the concept of belonging across... weave it in and out of your story. Meanwhile, you need to keep it open to adaptation to pretty much any question..

GL. I might PM you my story for journeys if you want, but it's probably not as relevant.
lol. I couldn't think of any location to place my frustration over this topic area.

And don't worry about it. I feel really bad about getting all these stuff from you. I gotta meet you someday and buy you an awesome lunch...lol (I am serious though) I will do that when we are all settled.

@The Kaiser: Thanks for the reply. That really helped me.

ideagirl

HSC
creative writing idea?
well honestly look out side the box, dont go for something cliche, and try to limit your self in the setting and number of characters.

the concept of beloning is so broad and complex that you could basically talk about anything really, in terms of one's self finding identity or acceptance. (it doesnt even necessarialy have to be human)

i once talked about the idea of belonging within a confined area, with people that you shared a physical similarity to i.e race. yet together they found alienation against their landscape.

taykid

HSC
i also having trouble,i've got my idea-a baby in a womb being literally pushed away from where she belongs but i have NO IDEA as to how to go about it.perhaps u guys could help?
I think that's a great idea, a friend of mine wrote something similar to it last year for her HSC and scored excellently.

Depending on how you think your teacher will receive it, you could try a violent and surprisingly blunt narrative voice, or perhaps give the baby a conscious voice of it's own.

Use vivid imagery no matter what you do :)
Any approach out of the ordinary will usually score you good points for originality anyhow.

Arkturium

HSC
but cliches are in the language: and it'll be written stream of consciousness (as i always do) from the kids perspective. From like a 5 year old perspective would be SO cool.
Actually writing from a five year old's perspective is very limiting and often can be marked down, think about the limited perspective and language that a five year old has. However, the topic would be fine, maybe write from the perspective of the person now that they are grown up, looking back in retrospect. Similar to how To Kill A Mockingbird was written.

Think about different issues of belonging that occur today, not just small things like things that we would encounter as Australian youths.
Think about displaced people, migrants, refugees, people who are ostracized from communities because their beliefs, thoughts or actions are different. Write from a perspective that is different to what others would expect. Maybe write from the perspective of the Communist who is being discriminated against in a community during the Cold War period.
Your writing does not have to be confined to this day and age.

Goodluck!

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
I disagree. You can still write from a child's perspective in terms of thought processes and dialogue, then detach yourself as a narrative voice for description etc. I've done it before, and gotten great marks.

Often the ability to be able to adopt a characters' point of view fluidly and convincingly is highly marked. But becoming a 5 year old doesn't necessarily entail blunt or uninteresting writing.

HSC
my teacher told me that about 75% of creative writing pieces are on teenage angst ie girl/boyfriends,personal tragedies car accidents,cancer etc,shcoolies and picking up chicks.so it moght be a bit cliche if you write about schoolies,but i guess if its REALLY good you can make it work
so did mine

dajk

HSC
i also having trouble,i've got my idea-a baby in a womb being literally pushed away from where she belongs but i have NO IDEA as to how to go about it.perhaps u guys could help?
i did pretty much that storyline last year, but we were doing change (although i could probably adapt it to belonging i think). it started with the little baby thing revelling in the darkness and 'king of the world' type thing then went through the process of being born. used a lot of contrast between light and dark to show change, but i guess light and dark shows belonging too (think blade runner)

HSC
I have to write a 500 word story on Belonging but I have no clue on what to write about. Can anyone please give me ideas?
write a belonging story that relates to race, culture or even familial belonging (family)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)