Belonging: Related Text Suggestions (1 Viewer)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Re: films for belonging

Avatar; it's the best film to relate to belonging.
Bad idea - it's way too recent. A lot of the 'more shallow' kids who finally realise that they've got 15 hours til their exam will be racking their brains for a good related text. What better related text than a movie they watched less than a month ago? :p

lil-chilean

HSC

i think i might go with the kite runner.i really loved the book and does show good elements of belonging

thanks all for helping

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC

Bad idea - it's way too recent. A lot of the 'more shallow' kids who finally realise that they've got 15 hours til their exam will be racking their brains for a good related text. What better related text than a movie they watched less than a month ago? :p
I suppose but if you could pull off a good job with it then you can score some great marks according to my teacher. Obviously a lot of responses. concerning Avatar, are going to be crap but if there if you can pull off a good job with your essay then it might impress the marker.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC

I'm using District 9; do you reckon I'm screwed?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

I'm using District 9; do you reckon I'm screwed?
In terms of recent-ness, it's ok. I haven't seen the movie, so I don't know how good it is in relation to belonging. But isn't it about aliens or something?

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC

Yeah alien refugees. It's recent but it's ideas are really innovative that's why I chose it over L: Change the World.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

Your judgement appears to be sound. If you believe it's a good text, then go for it. :)

brunx

HSC

Taxi Driver by Martin Scorcese is the ultimate belonging/alienation film (focusing more on the struggle to belong). I used it for belonging in advanced and also for After the Bomb in Extension 1.
hsc marks were: advanced 87/100 :(....extension1 48/50 :)

lil-chilean

HSC

Taxi Driver by Martin Scorcese is the ultimate belonging/alienation film (focusing more on the struggle to belong). I used it for belonging in advanced and also for After the Bomb in Extension 1.
just reaseaching this film ..sounds really good thanks for that .i'll go rent it tomorrow :D

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A

I've heard that Jodie Foster is very good in that film.

I'll make a note to watch it soon.

brunx

HSC

just reaseaching this film ..sounds really good thanks for that .i'll go rent it tomorrow :D
if you do choose to use it for school...see if you can find a copy of "A cinema of lonliness" by Robert Kolker from a library. The book analyses many great films by scorcese, kubrick and others. there's about 20 or so pages on taxi driver that might help you develop your arguments/ enlighten you about the techniques used.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

District 9 is a good text, especially if you treat it as a social metaphor, as it was intended.

captainvagina

HSC

hi all
I have an english assignment due soon and wasn't sure what films to use for it that show belonging.So far i've been thinking:

• Bend it like Beckham
  • brokeback mountain (unsure i go to a catholic school)
  • Australia
  • edward scissorhands
  • Of mice and men
  • the kite runner
  • muriels wedding
  • the pursuit of happiness
any other suggestion would be great thanks
im guessing from ur name ur chilean right?
same here lol where bouts u from?

johony

HSC

i agree, excellent excellent film to write about.

max1234

HSC

I did "Good Will Hunting" directed by Gus Van Sant.. was pretty good text and not that recent nor cliched. ended up with 91 in adv eng so i guess the markers weren't put off with it too much.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

I did "Good Will Hunting" directed by Gus Van Sant.. was pretty good text and not that recent nor cliched. ended up with 91 in adv eng so i guess the markers weren't put off with it too much.
Well the fact that I've never heard of it, and the fact that you got a Band 6 probably means that it's a good text that is 'uncommon'

lil-chilean

HSC

also looks goods .ahh so hard to pick. i think i'll rent both and see what i like

h3ll h0und

HSC

how bout the animated film 'happy feet' or 'Brave New World' by alduous Huxley.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)