My teacher advised against using song lyrics...A GOOD SONG TO USE...
'Nobody's Home' by Avril Lavigne.
This song is more than just a pop song...and it's certainly no 'Sk8er Boi'
- The song tells the story of a girl who perhaps once belongs, but now doesn't (don't know where she belongs)
- Told from 3rd person perspective (I couldn't help her...I just watched her). Somebody DID know of her and her story, but they gave up on her; regretful tone. Sometimes it only take one person to help you or push you over the edge. Maybe if the narrator did help her...
- She didn't belong simply because she was 'different'; she wasn't bad, just different, and was consequently outcast (you've been rejected)
- BELONGING TO PLACE DOESN'T EXIST (she tried to go home but nobodys home -title-) She doesnt belong to a particular place in society. She's "broken inside" maybe a metaphor for a 'broken home'?
- CONSEQUENCES OF NOT BELONGING/REJECTION: Shes falling behind/losing her faith/all over the place/falling from grace - no sense of belong to place/people can have serious, negative impacts on individuals...
- Narrator asks girl to find the reasons why -- is there really a reason? should she really blame herself for not belonging? is society to blame; their expectations of what is 'normal'?
- She is an individual, with dreams and hopes, but because shes rejected, she cannot achieve those dreams -- doubts her self, ability, existence, self-worth
There's many more issues of belonging to be found here. Belonging is a personal thing -- we've all had times when we didn't belong for whatever reason; think of those experiences, use them. This is a very good song to use. It's modern, it's personal, and its not 'clear-cut'. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!
Oh, and I almost forgot, whenever you use a song, you really should discuss the musical elements (what/how many instruments are played at one time? happy or sad melody? does the music correspond to particular lyrics to emphasise meaning? how does the music end -- happy or sad?)
Sorry, but I wouldn't recommend either Eliot nor the Scarlet Letter for belonging.The Scarlet Letter is really good. So are a few of T.S Eliot's poems like Rhapsody on a Windy Night or the Lovesong of J Alfred Prufrock.
The Shipping News is a prescribed text on the English Extension One syllabus, in general, you should avoid choosing related texts that are on any list for the prescribed texts for any English course because it prevents you from showing your capability in choosing related texts that relates strongly in terms of conceptual ideas to The Simple Gift through your own independent understanding of the module.What would be a good short story to use as a related text for The Simple Gift?
Would the shipping news be appropriate as a related text with The Simple Gift?
Perhaps for future reference you should make a new thread to get a quicker responseHey guys,
Could someone link me a poem that fits with Romulus, My Father - please...
I want a poem because i think variety is good and i already have a novel and a film but i need one more by tomorrow!!!