Belonging: Related Text Suggestions (3 Viewers)

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
I usually advise against Shaun Tan since every second students seems to use it, but if you can pull off a good explanation, then no one's stopping you.

PennyLan3

HSC
I'm thinking of using Perks of Being a Wallflower and Looking for Alaska by John Green... thoughts anyone? kind of worried about Looking for Alaska as its not very well known...

MK2308

HSC
I was thinking of doing The Book Thief as a related text, but I'm not sure whether it covers belonging deep enough, any thoughts? :/

muhahahahaha

HSC
Re: films for belonging

How would Frankenstein go for a related text?
Frankenstein is not a good one to do, because it is a text that is on the list for advanced English, which means you may not be able to do it.
Anyway good luck,hope I helped.

eleanor346

HSC
Re: films for belonging

My prescribed text is Swallow the Air by Tara June Winch. Does anyone know any good movies, short stories or poems that have similar themes to it? Thankyou!!

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
Does anyone rate Diary of Anne Frank?

DamTameNaken

HSC
Does anyone rate Diary of Anne Frank?
Lots of people in my grade were thinking of doing it, but the teachers advised against it. There are two problems with Anne Frank, firstly it is a very simple text featured on the 7-8 Premiers reading challenge and doesn't look very good to a marker. The other problem is that there will be a lot of people across the state doing it.

If those two reasons don't faze you then go right ahead from what I've heard there are a lot of belonging themes in there.

Jithin Mathew

HSC
Try looking for something more academic, reality is the HSC markers are going to be old geezers who would love to see some kid stepping out of their comfort zone and picking up on something such as news articles or documentaries, besides it makes you look more unique, just a suggestion. :)

T-Hud

HSC
Can someone give me feedback on these potential texts please?

Bend it Like Beckham
Clancy of the Overflow
Big Brother (sounds outrageous but I think it has some merit)

Also does anyone have any idea of a biography or autobiography which may be suitable?

Miasmajesty

HSC
fight club anyone?
Someone in my class wishes to do that. The teacher asked the english co-ordinator and they suggested you do the novel on Fight Club compared to the movie since the novel has more in it.

candycanes

HSC
N/A
Hi! Could anyone recommend a good image/artwork for a visual text? I'm aware of the insidebreak site but I was wondering if anyone had any better ideas.

Thanks! :D

Last edited:

tr3pid

HSC
Hi Examine,

Yes, we recommend 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower' as a belonging related text. It allows you to present the marker with a more multifaceted and sophisticated take on belonging, as you could perhaps use the protagonist's situation to argue that belonging is a dichotomous concept that can lead to angst and existential conflict (research required here!) when it's not attained. Keep in mind that your related text has to synergise with your core, so have a think about what you're going to argue in each of your texts such that your streams of arguments culminate in a holistic and satisfying read about belonging. Also, whilst we like 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower', it does seem a bit cliched with its plot in relation to belonging, so make sure your analysis is super!

However, please keep in mind that whilst your choice in text may tip the odds slightly in your favour, at the end of the day it's your thesis and analysis that'll get you the marks. You can technically use Pokemon Sapphire as a related and still top the state. But why bother?

Kind Regards,
Delta Education
ok. What about Discrict 9? My core text is Romulous My Father, and I think it shares some similar aspects belonging.

fionarykim

HSC
What do people recommend for As you like it??
im having huge problems finding a related
my arguments and thesis base mostly on relationships and place and belonging, so im looking for something that addresses that :p

Llamanator

HSC
I'm having trouble finding non-overused belonging texts. I'm doing a film and a novel. Would any of these work?

Looking for Alaska - John Green
The Fault in Our Stars - John Green
Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West - Gregory Maguire
Catcher in the Rye - J D Salinger

Moonrise Kingdom (2012)
The Breakfast Club (1985)
Milk (2008)
The Terminal (2004)
Up in the Air (2009)
Struck by Lightning (2012)

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I'm having trouble finding non-overused belonging texts. I'm doing a film and a novel. Would any of these work?

Looking for Alaska - John Green
The Fault in Our Stars - John Green
Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West - Gregory Maguire

Moonrise Kingdom (2012)
The Breakfast Club (1985)
Milk (2008)
The Terminal (2004)
Up in the Air (2009)

All of them would probably work. Breakfast Club and Wicked would be the most overused in my opinion. Up In The Air could be fun to work with.

Johnstan

Sickunt overload
HSC
Uni Grad
mean girls, happy feet or avatar

i used dese for my hsc throigout the year and i went alighrt

sammie293

HSC
Can someone please tell me is the film "Clockwork orange" alright to do as a related text???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)